Weinstein rolls with Fraggle Rock movie

Drtooth

Reaction score
My fear over the casting is the upcoming new Muppet movie may conflict, no? That would leave a couple major Fraggle players without their performer if that were the case. That timing may play into this...
2 things here: If puppeteers are unavailable due to the other film, then we'd clearly have them loop some scenes here and there. Or, they'd film the scenes with those characters and performers on days they aren't filming the other film. Of course, the only big players on both would be Steve and Dave.... and maybe Bill, if he's going to be recast as any of Jim's characters...

The other thing to consider... we know this film is pretty far down preproduction... a little hold ups here and there. What we don't know is how far in preproduction the other Muppet film is. There could be a chance that FR could get the green light ahead of the Muppet film. Plus, I'm sure they can film these back to back.

Wonder if they're going to film any of this in Canada, like the TV series was. Then they'd be able to get some of the Canadian puppeteers back as well.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I hope current grown generations will take their kids to see it. I'm excited again!

zns

Reaction score
I have no doubt that the original performers will want to perform their characters again. Fraggle Rock had such a purposeful meaning and quality to it when it premiered in '83, and there is still something about it that brings out the best in everyone involved with the Muppets. :smirk::excited::coy:

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
I know if *I* provided the voice (and movement) for a Muppet, I'd fight to be working in ANYTHING they're in until the day I died :wink:

Telly

Reaction score
My roommate just asked me about the Fraggle Movie last week! Now I can tell him something!:excited:

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
The first link doesn't give any direct mention of FR and the second one doesn't work at all.

But the Dark Crystal tidbit sounds promising.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
Here's something I got from Henson's twitter account: http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2009/08/05/fraggle-rock-and-dark-crystal-sequel-updates-from-brian-henson

"Both of those projects... are very close to going into pre-production," Henson said. "They're both really ready to go. [The studio is] just [in the process of] putting together the final finance pieces and the final distribution pieces."

So there you have it. "Fraggle Rock"? Happening. "The Power of the Dark Crystal"? Happening. When? Soon. How soon? No clue. I'm psyched to hear more though. Are you?

Drtooth

Reaction score
The facts are these.... there are apparently promising signs that FR has a near final script. Corey Edwards keeps stating that, and he himself, the one writing the film, doesn't know what the heck's holding production up. He is deadset to get this film shot by the end of the year, and also restates that a bunch of times. Whatever hold up is on the end of Henson and Weinstine.... and even then, we're not clear on what it is exactly.

I would guess that any slight hold ups in delaying are picking out bits and pieces of the screenplay one at a time, and seeing how viable it is. Seems like they're heading for pre-pre-pre-preproduction, which means they're trying to see if any of that stuff can be done in the film before they can okay it and get estimates on permits, puppet building... etc. etc. etc. Whenever we're gonna get this film, your guess is as good as mine. But they truely want to see it made.

Problem is, how will shooting DC 2 affect FR? How many of the same puppeteers will have conflicts with it? Will they alternate between the films? Will both be affected by The Greatest Muppet Movie Ever, or will that be affected by those 2 movies? And why aren't they starting to release merchandise sooner to pre-hype the movie? I've seen them do this with the Smurfs and even Marvin the Martian (who is set to get his own film in 2 years), who is on every new T-shirt I see.