Wayne & Wanda

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
I liked Wayne & Wanda. I wouldn't say I think of Wanda the way Byron thinks of Janice and Mokey, but I will agree with Warrick that she wasn't a bad-looking puppet like so many people say. Love the hair.

Wanda's voice was perfectly awful, and Wayne's was perfectly hammy. It was their send-up of Louis B. Mayer's favorites Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy (what would Louis have done if he had seen this show, I wonder?)

The way their acts worked put a definite limit on them as charactes. What would've helped was incorporating them into the backstage drama, thus fleshing them out as characters. Of course, part of the problem with that is that they were, like Sam, in the wrong place. They didn't fit in with the nuts in that theater and their purpose was to do morally unobjectionable acts that proved to be at odds with the style the show and its performers had. Had they been fleshed out as characters, they would surely have been antagonists and may have resorted to trying to undermine Kermit (a la Frank Burns and Hot Lips Houlihan on M*A*S*H- uh-oh! I hope Maynard didn't see that!:big_grin: )

It's also a pity that while they gave Wayne the chance to play to his nature in Season Three with the melodramas- he was undoubtedly conceived as the melodrama hero type in the beginning- they didn't do the same with Wanda, who was obviously created in the innocent, weak, fragile, victimized melodrama heroine mold (Uncle Deadly tying her to the railroad tracks like he did Piggy or threatening to feed her to crocodiles would look as natural for the character as anything.) Of course, Wayne always seemed to have more character, except of course in such moments as Wanda's reaction to Wayne being eaten in "Some Enchanted Evening" and to Wayne's leaving her to pursue a rival during "I'll Know" the following week.

Last year I had the idea of doing a "Behind the Muppets" backstory on Wayne & Wanda, from their conservatory days to the glory days of The Muppet Show, Wayne's extramarital dalliances and affairs and the never-ending earthquake that was life with Wanda, to the end of their career on TMS to their eventual divorce. Maybe this summer I'll write it for y'all.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Re: Reply

Originally posted by Daffyfan2003
Didn't Janice used to sound like her? I'm still waiting on that Rita Moreno episode to find out.
Not really---Season 1 Janice sounds lower and more breathy, not really anything like Wanda.

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Originally posted by Gorgon Heap
Last year I had the idea of doing a "Behind the Muppets" backstory on Wayne & Wanda, from their conservatory days to the glory days of The Muppet Show, Wayne's extramarital dalliances and affairs and the never-ending earthquake that was life with Wanda, to the end of their career on TMS to their eventual divorce. Maybe this summer I'll write it for y'all.
LOL! That'd be cool, Dave---but don't forget your work for the guides, now! :wink: :stick_out_tongue:

And thanks for all that meat you put in your post---I just love in-depth character discussions like this!!

:flirt: :flirt: :flirt:

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Re: Re: Reply

Originally posted by Janice & Mokey's Man
Not really---Season 1 Janice sounds lower and more breathy, not really anything like Wanda.
Gosh, if she didn't sound like she sounds now and she didn't sound like Wanda, what else is left? I guess I'll just have to see for myself once I get that tape or maybe I'll catch Erin's Janice on Muppet Central Radio sometime. I think I'm getting off subject here, so I'll shut up now. Lol.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Originally posted by Gorgon Heap
I wouldn't say I think of Wanda the way Byron thinks of Janice and Mokey,
His love of those two is unparalleled by all other loves anyhow, so don't feel bad. :smile:

By, What I was saying was that they should have been able to finish the whole song and the sets would fall around them.

IE: The final number with Dudley Moore and the EM Band after the stage was blown up. Things would fall based on the beats of Animal's drum.

Well, say Wayne and Wanda were singing a song that involved water or something, and everytime they sang a part about the 'water' it would splash up on them. Or, if the song was "Ding ding ding went the trolley" it could be a scene with a run-away trolley barrelling down a San Francisco hill (?) with people running away from it screaming, film footage on the screen behind them, and then the thing crashes at the end of the song, Wayne and Wanda sitting in the rubble. It could have worked.

Otherwise, with one minute songs, they couldn't last at all.

Manda:-D

Reaction score
I've always enjoyed Wayne & Wanda's skits, but I agree that they needed to have their characters developed more. I almost wish that after they had been fired, Wayne & Wanda would have gone back & tried to have revenge on Kermit. (Although, much like their songs, it'd end up in disaster for THEM.)

Chilly Down

Reaction score
I agree with Byron: Dave, great job on that post. I love really in-depth character analysis! Keep it up!

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Reply

Originally posted by Daffyfan2003
Gosh, if she didn't sound like she sounds now and she didn't sound like Wanda, what else is left? I guess I'll just have to see for myself once I get that tape or maybe I'll catch Erin's Janice on Muppet Central Radio sometime. I think I'm getting off subject here, so I'll shut up now. Lol.
If you can get a copy of the TMS album (1), Erin's Janice is on there in a VH skit. :smile:

It also plays on MC radio! At least it did before...

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I'm waiting for. I'd save money that way. Unfortunately, all I seem to catch on Muppet Central Radio are the same songs they play over and over again. :rolleyes:

THAT WAS 120 SECONDS!! %^*&**//!! IT!!! POST MY FREAKIN' MESSAGE!!!