Walt Disney Legacy Collection

Steve Arino

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

As MANY of you are aware, in the last several years, Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment has issued a series of Animated Features e.g. "Snow White" and "Sleeping Beauty" to name 2 examples on Blu Ray as part of its Walt Disney Signature Collection; that being said, if I had Iger's old job at Disney instead of Bob Chapek, I'd suggest that Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment start issuing a series of live-action films and TV shows on Blu Ray and Digital that I propose be known as "The Walt Disney Legacy Collection," with a slew of self-made Front Cover Arts attached to this post (mainly sourced from the original theatrical posters unless otherwise noted).

Among OTHER Disney Titles (including Touchstone and Hollywood Pictures titles) that I would feature in "The Walt Disney Legacy Collection" include the following:

1. Splash -- The Disney movie that helped its Touchstone Pictures banner (then officially Touchstone Films) make a successful "Splash" at the Box Office; Directed by Ronny Howard, "Splash" starred Tom Hanks as Allen Bauer and Daryl Hannah as Madison, respectively, 2 people who meet and fall in love. A romantic comedy at heart, "Splash" was Rated PG due to MANY instances of Daryl Hannah's ***, along with Brief Profanity, and became the first of a LONG line of Disney movies to be issued under the Touchstone banner which, as of 2018, is now officially Defunct.

2. Old Yeller -- Personally, I think "Old Yeller" is an otherwise GREAT Disney film except for the fact that, at film's end, Old Yeller was shot and killed due to severe Rabies; frankly, in ANY Medical Situation involving Animals, whether it be Cats (which I have 2 of at home), Dogs, whatever, frankly, I'd do EVERYTHING I could to keep the Animals alive without having a local Veterinarian put them down and kill them.

3. New York Stories -- Although critically acclaimed, upon its March 1989 release by Touchstone, "New York Stories" (on a $15 million budget) made only $10 million at the Box Office; Disney's "New York Stories," for those unfamiliar, was a Dramedy Anthology film featuring 3 40-minute movie shorts Written and Directed, respectively, by Martin Scorcese, Francis Coppola and Woody Allen. Martin's short, "Life Lessons," starred Nick Nolte as a struggling painter whose muse and sometime lover (played by Rosanna Arquette) was on the verge of leaving him--although by short's end, Nolte's character found a new "student" to inspire his paintings. Francis's short, "Life Without Zoe," starred Heather McComb (the future Mrs. James Van Der Beek, though her marriage to James soon ended in Divorce after 7 years in 2010) as the titular character Zoe, who lived alone with her butler while her Divorced parents (Talia Shire and Giancarlo Giannini, respectively) pursued their own careers around the world. Woody's short, "Oedipus Wrecks," wound up the three shorts that comprised "New York Stories," where Woody cast himself as a Mama's boy who later got his wish that his elderly mother (Mae Questel, old "Betty Boop" herself) disappeared. Also appearing in the short were Mia Farrow (Woody's then wife) as Woody's character's fiance, Lisa, and 6-year-old Kirsten Dunst in her film debut as Lisa's daughter (albeit uncredited). As the title implied, "New York Stories" was filmed entirely on location in New York City, New York from April-October 1988. A little-known fact: originally, "New York Stories" (as evidenced here via
) was originally given an MPAA rating of PG-13, but was later re-rated to PG before its release; kinda makes yours truly wonder IF the PG-13 version still exists, because if it does, I'd include both the theatrical PG version AND the alternate PG-13 version.

4. Who Framed Roger Rabbit -- A Well-Deserved Addition (in my opinion) to "The Walt Disney Legacy Collection," the joint Disney/Touchstone film "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" made, in the US Box Office Alone, nearly $350 million, 7 times more than its estimated $50 million budget. As mentioned in an earlier post, Bob Hoskins, although born and raised British, adopted an American accent for his portrayal of Eddie Valiant. More can be said about this film, but I'll just cut it short and say I think it's one of THE best movies EVER made by ANY movie studio.

5. Jack -- A few years after playing the Genie in "Disney's Aladdin," Robin Williams returned to The Walt Disney Company via the 1996 movie "Jack," which Disney released under its Hollywood Pictures banner (which, like Touchstone, is likewise Defunct). Robin Williams's title character was, despite being an otherwise average 10-year-old 5th-Grade boy, born with a rare form of Progeria that caused him to have the body of a 40-year-old grown-*** man. Supporting actors in the film included TV "Nanny" Fran Drescher and, as Jack's life-long Psychologist, Bill Cosby.

SEVERAL of these titles are on Disney Plus--actually, all of the above (sans "New York Stories") are on Disney Plus as of this writing; likewise on DVD and Blu Ray (in the case of "New York Stories," Disney licensed that title to Kino Lorber Studio Classics in 2019--and before that, Mill Creek Home Entertainment, in 2013).

If there are ANY other titles that YOU, the Reader, think would be GREAT Future Additions to the proposed "Walt Disney Legacy Collection" Blu Ray (which I STRONGLY suggest be proposed to Disney), think would be great additions?

Feel free to respond.

Steve