Visions 2: So We've Been Told

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah... You think you know a guy... And then this, he goes and revives an old story from the duldrums it's been shelved into oblivion.

Great stuff by the way old bean. It's all so good... Piggy teaching Gonzo about the art that is shopping, Rowlf and Fozzie bonding, and then the fuzzies shared by Cliff and Skeet.

All good, post more... Whenever!

Beauregard

Reaction score
Chapter 9

Their job opportunities weren’t turning out as well as they had initially thought, or even dared to hope. The first interview finished with the skinny red-haired hotshot interviewer flying into a wall at the end of Miss Piggy's cuff. The next had been fine, for as long as it lasted, which was approximately ten seconds, just long enough for the frighteningly fat fingered man to point his pasty-white digit at Gonzo and scream that, "No weirdoes are allowed in my store! I won't allow friggin' freak-loaders in my store. Get your freak-loading freak nose out of my store, freak."

Gonzo had taken his freak-loading freak nose out of the store, and pronto.

The third and fourth interviews went off without a hitch, but even though Piggy jealously guarded her psychic phone as if it were the last slither of lemon custard pie, there were no phone calls offering a five-hundred-dollars a year wage, or any wage, in fact. There were no phone calls.

At the apartment, Miss Piggy cooked their meals, and Gonzo scraped up months of mess. He washed pans, moved nick-nacks, straightened furniture. She tried to mend the leaking sink and succeeded in drenching herself with stale dishwater. She hadn't been impressed, but the sink had started working.

Gonzo was making about as much progress with the Christmas tree as they were with everything else on their plate, that is, none. Whenever he tried to shift the springy spine covered thing, its needles danced every which way, scattering like an explosion of sparks across the entire room. On about the twentieth attempt, Miss Piggy had yelled from the cooker that they were now having tree-spine soup and would he please just quit while he was ahead.

"But I am not ahead yet!" Gonzo had yelled back, half buried behind the tree. "I'm not even started!"

"Well start!" Miss Piggy shouted.

"I did! And you said to stop!"

"Then stop!"

"I will not!"

"Why not?!"

"Because, I have started, and I'm not finished!" Gonzo yelled.

It should have been the most obvious thing in the world, but it obviously wasn't because when Miss Piggy spun around from the cooker, she was furious. She slammed the soup pan into the sink, splashing old soap-stained water over the dry counters. "Alright! Fine! Vous can make the dinner from what vous can provide, since Moi's soup is being destroyed by you!"

"Great!" Gonzo said, snarkily. "Just great! Then V O Ooze can just get this tree out of our living room!"

"Oh, what, so suddenly it's our living room, hm? Last I heard, this living room belonged to Moi and moi's kitties! Not and never you!"

"Oh really."

"Yes really."

"Oh really!"

"Yes! Really!"

"Then explain why I have been sleeping right there," he pointed. "On the floor for the last three weeks."

"Because…" She stopped midway into a perfectly rounded reason because she didn't actually have one. "Um..."

"Yeah, exactly. Because." Gonzo pushed past her to the sink and dragged the dripping pan out of the water. "Well, we can't eat this," he said.

Miss Piggy glared at him and strode in the opposite direction, clapping her tough rubber gloves around the thin trunk of the dead tree. She marched it over the carpet to the window, shredding needles that dropped onto the backs of her kitties. Yanking the window up hard, she shoved the pointy end of the tree through the open crack and shoved. The scraggily tree arms clung to the window panes and she pushed and it didn't move

"Aaaah-aaah-aarg!" She slapped her hands against her thighs and released the tree so that it dropped onto the floor. "Great. Just perfectimont. Merry Christmas, tree."

Gonzo set the pan down on the counter. "Did you want a-" He was going to say 'hand?', but one glare from the fierce blue porcine eyes indicated that, no thank vous, she did not need his help. Instead of finishing the question, Gonzo changed course, crossed the room and lifted the tree himself. "Can you…maybe, help me with this?" he asked.

Miss Piggy wiped her gloved hands on her apron as she considered. Finally, she let out a breath. "Alright, alright, alright." Leaning together on the bush they wrangled it further out the window then, with a final push, sent it free-wheeling down to the street below where it was greeted with angry shouts and unpleasant expletives.

Miss Piggy tugged on her apron, placed her fists on her hips and tried to remain angry while suppressing a sudden urge to giggle. Gonzo moved back to the cooker area and started digging through cupboards for tinned food, trying to remain grouchy and suppressing an urge to giggle.

Outside their door, a face leant against the broken panel and an eye watched the two moving together to find food and room to live. Carefully, the face lifted away from the door and the man clasped his hands together, suppressing an urge to scream.

*****​

Sleeping arrangements hadn't caused any difficulty. Since Gonzo was the guest at the house Piggy had decided to simply force herself to ignore him when it came to sleep time and she had just settled herself on her sofa, fully-dressed, covered with a blanket. Her kitties crawled along the back of the purple sofa.

Gonzo had stood in the middle of the room on that second night and watched her shut her eyes. She had struggled to maintain their shut-ness and her eyelids fluttered, long lashes batting against her cheeks. But she had managed to elude his notion that she would be uncomfortable sleeping in a room with a guy she hardly knew, by tapering her breathing into something akin to slow sleepy in-and-outs.

Gonzo had eventually just sat down, cross-legged, on the floor with his back against a wall, and woke up lying flat with a rug draped carefully over him during the night.

After that, the arrangements had stayed that way, with him stuck on the floor and Miss Piggy on the couch. She had once, out of guilt or panic, offered him her bed in the bedroom since she chose to stay couch-side, but Gonzo had recognised from her eyes that she didn't want anybody else to go into her bedroom any more than she wanted to go in there herself.

So he refused to give up the comfort of the floor. It was harder than a bed, anyway, more like the luxury of the streets he used to lounge on.

*****​

The handkerchief sized park was deserted. Fleshy new buds of sticky brown roundness emerged from twigs that rattled on trees in the cold chill wind which flurried across the rippling surface of a small inky-pond, whirling around the bench where Gonzo now sat with his elbows on his knees, chin in his hand watching the ripples.

Miss Piggy had managed to grab herself an interview at a small trinket store in Bitterman Plaza and Gonzo had let himself wonder over here as he waited for her. Everything about the park was familiar, and yet distant, like daja vu. The park was familiar, and yet distant, like daja vu.

He stood up from the bench and knelt beside the pond to dip his finger into the cold water, to feel the ripples flow past. They were like life, those ripples, and he was like his finger. Ripples of life and time just moved around him and he just stayed where he was without moving forward or backward.

Gonzo unlaced his trainers.

It was about time that changed. Why should he be the one staying still while the world moved. Why not the other way about? He un-buttoned his shirt and pulled the sleeves away from his arms, folding the material into a neat pile on his shoes. He dragged himself to his feet, brushed stray wispy hairs back on his head and dove into the pond, immediately hit by the icy cold of the freezing water.

It was a tiny pond and one stroke dragged him to the bottom where he opened his eyes to peer through the murky liquid that soaked into his fur. He patted the mud bed, accidentally swirling dirt into the mix and loosing what underwater vision he had. His lungs begged for air and he agreed with them, scooting back to the surface and opening his mouth to drag in a lungful.

He allowed himself only the smallest respite before sinking back under the freezing cold water to search the slimy surface of the mud bed by feel. His fingers closed around something solid, rectangular and bitty, wrapped in mossy-slime.

Gonzo tugged the brick free from the tentacle weeds that held it in place and resurfaced holding his prize as water streamed down his fur.

He was startled and surprised to see Miss Piggy standing beside the water's edge staring at him in shock or horror, or perhaps an unhealthy mix of the two.

Gonzo started shivering, but clung to the brick with both hands.

"Gonzo?" Miss Piggy gasped. "What are you doing?"

*****​

Miss Piggy switched the electric cooker on high and banged the plastic oven door open, letting the heat escape in a blush of hot air that tumbled out into the apartment. Gonzo shivered uncontrollably, still clinging to his brick as his fur clung to his skin. He'd managed to get his shoes on and sling his shirt over his shoulders, but the buttons were not yet buttoned.

Miss Piggy closed the apartment door and returned to the kitchen area where Gonzo stood, dripping on the carpet. She hurried into the bathroom and dragged a pink towel free from the shelves. "Here. Stand on this."

"It'll get muddy."

"It's that or the floor, bucko."

"Yeah, but the floor's already mucky," Gonzo insisted.

"Fine." Piggy placed the towel in his hands. "But seriously, vous have got to get dry."

Gonzo's brain ached from shivering. "Alright." He buried his face in the towel and rubbed his nose. "But I've been in that pond before you know. I didn't freeze then, and it was colder outside."

Piggy's eyebrows tilted. "Why?" she demanded as she moved Mr Meowmeow aside with her foot and reached into a cupboard for a saucepan. "Why were you in the pond?"

"Because…" Gonzo interrupted himself with a shaking fit of shivers which he finally managed to control. "Because I threw Amy in there," he said.

Miss Piggy froze, ironic considering the circumstances. The saucepan scraped against the top hob of the cooker. "Who's Amy?" she asked.

*****​

Fozzie and Rowlf were settled. Not completely settled, but rather they were settled like salt in an egg-timer, pilled against the edge and ready to tumble, yet still, settled and in place.

Rowlf spent most of his time writing. He was working on a book, something he called 'The History of Life.' It was very epic, apparently, and he wrote it page after page in a notebook, then typed it up on a typewriter and stacked the pages together in a drawer, which he locked.

Fozzie spent his time recovering from his history, eating a lot and sleeping a lot. He told Rowlf that he needed to find a job to pay him back for his hospitality, but Rowlf replied that employment was scarce at the moment. Besides, he then reminded the bear, he already had a job he should be working on, namely his future.

Rowlf had then climbed into a small attic and carried down a cob-web drawn typewriter. He'd placed the machine down on a small desk and stacked a pile of yellowing paper on one side. "When this is all there," he said, indicating the other side of the typewriter. "You are ready."

"What am I doing?" Fozzie had asked.

"You tell me."

"Writing…jokes?"

"Nope. Not exactly," Rowlf said, sitting down on the edge of the desk. "The keyboard is an extension of your fingers," he said. "You'll be telling jokes, but you'll be writing from your heart. Make a portfolio. Try doing a script. Unless I'm much mistaken, you need to put something together that will impress Miss Bitterman."

Fozzie began timidly at first, and in his head the tap of every keystroke was an angry retort from a murmuring crowd, but that changed as he typed faster and the clattering of the keys became smatterings of applause, then a standing ovation as his imaginary audience of long-stemmed keys rose to their feet, throwing hands and hats into the air, whistling and cheering, shouting for more. He smiled, and typed.

They were settled, but Rowlf couldn't quite shake the feeling that their egg-timer was about to tip over.

*****​

"Who is Amy?" Miss Piggy asked and her snout trembled with contained anger.

Gonzo's eyelids receded, widening his eyes. "Didn't I tell you about her?"

"No." Her answer was a growl, but she managed to flick her head at the same time, tossing her short hair as if she were honestly little concerned with the answer. "So who is she?" she asked again.

Gonzo stepped up to the sink and placed the brick down inside. He ran water from the cold tap, rubbing green slime off the rough edges of the brick with his fingers. Pond-scum swirled around the sink and plunged into the plughole.

For a moment, Miss Piggy found herself distracted from her angry surprise by the faint smell of the pond-scum. She caught the corner of the scent on the air and inhaled. "Oh," she exclaimed, surprised by a sudden recognition of the odour, but then again, no, she didn't recognise it, it was just...What was it?

She cleared her head by shaking it. "Who is Amy?" she asked a third time.

Gonzo lifted his brick out of the sink and dabbed it dry with the towel. He lifted his eyes to meet Piggy's. "Miss Piggy," he said. "Meet Amy the Dancing Brick. She's, er, she's a brick and she can…dance."

Whatever answer she had been expecting, dancing bricks didn't quite cut it. Miss Piggy blinked. "I beg your pardon?"

Gonzo failed to see any evidence of belief in Miss Piggy's eyes. "Amy is…" He adjusted his hold on the rock. "…she was…ah…" Be was beginning to realise how odd this sounded. "I found her." He shrugged. "I called her Amy. She-"

"-dances, yeah, I know, I get it." Miss Piggy folded her arms and eyed the brick suspiciously. "How?"

"With much...difficulty, and…er…panache." Gonzo stared at Amy and realised that she was a brick, lying lifeless on the edge of the sink. He was sure she used to be… more than that.

Miss Piggy poked the brick with one rubber-gloved finger. "I don't understand," she said.

Neither did he. There was a time when Amy had seemed as real to him as anything that lived and breathed, but now, she was a brick. Amy never had danced, had she? Gonzo opened his mouth, then closed it. When he had needed a friend, Amy had been there as a constant companion, now though he had a friend, Miss Piggy, so, "I don't think I need her any more." His voice was unexpectedly loud. "Do I?"

Miss Piggy made an effort to find an answer. She settled on, "Maybe not," and left it at that.

Gonzo carried the brick out of their apartment..

Miss Piggy scooped the pink towel up from off the damp floor and was hit once again by the hint of a smell of pond-scum. She pushed her face against the towel and breathed, tasting the tangy scent in her mouth. "Kerwin?" she murmured, questioning herself, her memory, and the world.

"Piggy?" Gonzo had arrived back in the doorway and was watching her with curiosity.

Miss Piggy dropped the towel and it fluttered to the floor. "Oh! Gonzo. Um…we um…we need to get some dinner," she said, flustered. "Hungry, hungry! Gotta put first things first." She pulled the fridge open with a plop. "Need to feed the kitties."

Gonzo approached the towel with care, balled it up and threw it like a cannon-ball into a waiting washing-basket.

To be continued

Leyla

Reaction score
Hum de dee de dee....

Beau update! WHEE!!! This is news of extreme awesomeness!

Ah, so, what do I like about this story? Well, for one, it's so very unique, at least of the muppet stories I've read on this board. The world without Kermit... continuing once Kermit learns his lesson and goes racing back into the loving embrace of his pig, his friends and his destiny. <happy sigh>

Of course... he's not here now... and it's... well, it's ...it's darker, and sadder...but you know what, it's not without hope, and I like that too. I like the way the characters, our old friends, save that they've never known one very special amphibian, are still out there, plugging their way through this difficult, difficult world. It's hopeful... it's muppety even though I find it really, really emotional painful... in a quiet wistful sort of way.

I still want Kermit to sweep into town and rescue them... but that's just me being silly, AKA me being me. I don't think I'd be so affected by this story if I didn't recognise the characters I love so dearly in their Kermitless counterparts. I recognize Piggy. I recognise Gonzo, and Fozzie, and Clifford and Skeeter, and, oh, help me, Robin. Yup... I do, and that's why it gets to me... almost so's that I can't read it, and yet... I really do appreciate this story for what it is. It's good writing, you know... and very powerful... and I'm trusting you, Beau dear, for a satisfying, positive ending, maybe even a happy one, though, ushy gushy girl that I am, it'll be hard for me to imagine a happy ending where Piggy doesn't end up with Kermit, and never will.

Still... I do enjoy your own, unique take on things, and you've definately got no troubles ushy gushying yourself when you wish.

Beauregard said:
He'd listen to the messages later, not right now. He needed some peace, away from that girl of his.

And she was his girl.
See what I mean? This is pretty interesting really, because you've got Skeeter acting like an insecure obsessive stalker girl, and Clifford wanting space, and yet identifying her as his girl. The burden of his desire to protect her is such a familiar feeling to me, and again, very affecting. It's an intriguing dynamic, and I'm interested to see where it goes.

Through his tinted glasses, the room was dark, heck, the entire world around him was dark, but Skeeter had become his light, something he could focus on and protect. Now she was fading. He needed to fix that light, before it went away.
Dark, yes... <shivers> Very dark, and even the lighter things have a touch of shadow about them. Still, I can't be the only one amused by Clifford wrestling to fix a struggling light... let's hope he has more luck with this one... goodness knows he has trouble with Lisa's light.

"Shopping is an art," Miss Piggy insisted.

"Is not," Gonzo parried. "Art is quite different."
Well... his art is quite different anyway. I like the bantering. Feels genuinely lighthearted, and I need that. There's something about this whole thing I'm trying desperately to forget.:wink:

"Oh." Neither disapproval or relief, just, "Oh." Miss Piggy's eyes gave away nothing but a slight protective cover that seemed to drop in front of her usual shine. She realised she was still not moving, and hurried on up the street. "Paint smells," she said over her shoulder towards Gonzo. "It…er, smells."
Okay, so... it's not entirely lighthearted. It's lighter anyway, and cute and funny. I don't know what Piggy has against paint, and that's probably just as well. Ah, my poor girl.

"Heh." Gonzo's eyelids raised and lowered as he examined her face, wondering if he was getting anywhere in an effort to see beyond the make-up and rouge she extravagantly attempted to wear. "Show me," he said.
Show you what Gonzo? Show you how shopping is an art, or show you who's hiding underneath that make up? You're a very sly writer, Beau, and I enjoy that.

Piggy pardoned his interruption with a glance that told him to stay out of her way if she ever did waltz.
<cheers>

"Then there is the choosing and selection of boots, shoes, or, for something more casual and house-y, green fuzzy green flipper slippers."
Oh... the flipper slippers.... <is stabbed>

"Flippers aren’t exactly my style," Gonzo told her.

"Oh, but vou'd look good in flippers." She eyed him up and down.

Gonzo waved his hand towards the shelf of shoes. "You were saying?"
Nothing. Nothing. She wasn't saying anything. Excuse me while I cover my eyes and sing. La la la la la la la la laaaaa!

"I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder," he said.
<is reminded of Kermit's book> <sings louder>

Rowlf cracked the door open to find a fallen bear sitting cross-legged on the floor with his back against the side of the bath. Fozzie shifted his feet from in front of the door and Rowlf pushed it further open. He noted the bin overflowing with nose-wiped tissues. "You wanna talk about it?" Rowlf asked.
Aww... I do love Rowlf/ Fozzie interaction. They're sort of alike and unlike.

"Sure. Everything runs in circles," Rowlf said. "The beginning of one thing is the end of something else. You can even start in the middle if you care to."
<sigh> I wish I could talk to Rowlf when I was feeling low. He's one of those people you could tell anything to.

"When I felt my hand empty, hanging there in the black air like a foot when it takes one too many steps up the stairs and plops down on the landing…that was just how my heart felt too. Gone."
<shivers> Nice analogy. Very very vivid image... you're a good word painter, Beau.

Rowlf decided that a hand was what Fozzie needed right now, and pressed his paw onto Fozzie's open hand. "You don't have to be empty anymore," he said.

Fozzie's fingers tightened around Rowlf's paw as the tears came. "Thank you," he whispered.
Ooh... smack me why doncha? I'm... I'm glad Fozzie doesn't have to feel empty anymore... there aren't many feelings worse than that one, and... I'm glad he's got a real, stable, friend in Rowlf.

I miss Kermit.

The news report stated that the case commonly known as Rat vs. Fear, or Rizzo the Rat vs. Fear Factor, had taken an interesting turn when Rizzo hired a sleazy lawyer named Gags Beasly to assist him. Gags was most famous for defending Pepe the Prawn of whippo-hair-braider fame in the autumn trial, two months before Pepe escaped. This was followed by a perfunctory report that the hunt for escaped convict Pepe was still ongoing.
<giggleS> It's funny, and I love the reference to Gags Beasly, but it also reminds me of how wrong everything is... he should be off writing the Banana Sketch. Wow... a world without the Banana sketch... Kermit would like that anyway. :wink:

I enjoyed the ushy gushy, even as it their relationship still has this odd, uneasiness about it... It's interesting... but I'm not quite sure yet, how to feel about this couple. Anyway, beautifully written Beau, really and truly, and I'm looking forward to feeling uneasy about more. <is teasing, and yet, truthful.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Wowowowowowow!!! I will never cease to be amazed by your talent Beau! Tres awesome! I LOVE Fozzie and Rowlf! Awesome! And Gonzo and Piggy's relationship is turning out great too! Skeeter and Clifford are fun to watch ush gush as well. Great job Beau! More please!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Wha huh? And here he goes and posts another chapter... On the same day no less!

Loved it Bo... Much more so because...
Amy! Yaey, Gonzo finally dove into the pond to go get Amy. That earned you some points my friend. But then he gains the sober realization that it was just a brick... And the mind starts to learn the folly of one's youth... Yep, it's quite a good thing you've got going here... Spring is definitely starting to take root, and I'm anxiously awaiting whatever crisis tip that eggtimer over.

Beauregard

Reaction score
WARNING: Not for the faint hearted...contains slight action, slight scaryness, and slight ushy-gushyness between something other than a pig and a frog...

Chapter 10

Miss Piggy returned to the trinket shop for a second interview, stopping short at the glass door to let light illusions of rainbows twinkle over her skin. Prisms and bulbs provided a shining, shimmering balance of light and colour that swept periodically throughout the shop, reflecting off silver trays and gold watches. Miss Piggy pushed the door open and stepped through into that light.

An old man with white hair and gammy eyes rested his angular elbows against the clerk desk. He chewed on a cigar. "Can I help you?"

Miss Piggy formulated a flattering flash of a sultry smile. "I am Miss Piggy," she said.

"And?"

"And vous invited moi back for a second tête-à-tête, no? And if vous wanna tête let's tête, shall we?"

The man shook his head. "I didn't call you," he said.

"Pardon?"

"I didn't ring you. Why would I bring you back for an interview when the job is taken?"

Piggy stumbled. "Wha-how? Who?"

"I got someone else, sweetie. I see how you look at the jewellery here. You have the wonder of a little girl in the body of a tougher nut than that. Good markings of a thief, I says, and I just don't trust you.""

Miss Piggy snapped forward, high-heels clicking on the tiled floor. "Trust? I can tell you something about trust! I trusted someone, one day, to actually get moi a job! And that someone let me down, again. I'll show you trust!"

A long curtain of bright beads which hung to cover a door behind the store owner shivered as a pair of black boots stepped through, joined by tight black trousers, and a perfect black jacket. "He hired me," the man informed, pulling a pair of dark glasses down from his eyes and folding them in one hand. The man's voice was rough, sandy, and sounded foreign. "I am the man who called you back and asked you in here."

The owner moved towards him in indignant confusion. "Why would you do a thing like-" His sentence was cut off by a single swift movement, too fast for Miss Piggy to follow, then the owner was sinking to the floor and his cigar rolled under the counter.

The man in black smirked. "He interviewed me already. Always asking questions, that man."

Miss Piggy's breath silenced in her head as her lungs stopped working and panic overcame her. When she tried to turn and run, her heels defied her and twisted, one snapping clean off her ankle-line shoe. She slipped and felt her feet scrambling on the slippery floor as she tried to right herself before she went down completly.

The man in black lifted a trapdoor in the counter and let himself through.

Miss Piggy scrabbled to her feet unsteadily and felt for support, catching hold of a glass shelf with her dark red velvet gloves. She saved those gloves for special occasions. A second interview was one of them. The thin glass began to spider-web in crunching cracks away from her fingers and then shattered, throwing rings and pearls at the floor. An alarm blared at the back of the shop.

A black leather glove latched into Miss Piggy's wrist. "Get up."

"Who are you?"

He yanked her up. "I'm looking for certain people," he said, then sneered, "Muppets, actually." His handlock tightened as he pulled Miss Piggy to standing.

She glared in his face. The alarm bellowed. The soft rainbow lights swept over them, reflecting off the ricocheted glass under their feet, unaware of the damage around them.

Miss Piggy whimpered and pressed mouth tightly together to stave off any sign of weakness.

The man kept his hold on her wrist as he awkwardly undid buttons on his jacket with the other hand. His jacket flapped. He reached inside, bringing out a small sheet of black paper with white writing. "I need to know, what you know. About these Muppets. Fozzie Bear. Dr Teeth. Zoot. Animal. Floyd and Janice Pepper. Howard the Pig. Do these names ring anything in there?" He tapped the hard paper against her head and she flinched and shook her head stubbornly.

"Bunsen Honeydew," the man listed. "Sam the Eagle. Scooter Grosse. Johnny Fiama, Statler, Waldorf, Robin Frog?"

Miss Piggy shook her head again. The shop's alarm bell beat inside her ears and she realised that no one was listening, that no one would respond to that alarm.

"None of these names mean anything to you?"

"No, they…"

"Rowlf the Dog, Clifford, Skeeter Grosse. They’ve all been affected now."

"Who has?" she asked, and winced as his fingers bit into her wrist.

"Muppets," the man replied, spitting the word. "Don't you get it? This is a hit list. I'm looking for these Muppets."

She hadn't.

"Do you know where I might find Gonzo the Great?"

The Great…? She shook her head. "No, I don't-"

He raised her hand and smashed it against a lower shelf. Cracks in the glass slithered away from her glove. "Your name is on here to," he said. "If you can't help me remove more than one from here, I'll be content to eliminate a single one. I cannot allow any more change here."

"Who are you?" Piggy asked.

"I'm an Agent with IOU. That won't mean anything to you."

The name didn't fire any synapses of memory. "Why are you?" she asked.

"Someone fluctuated the system," the IOU Agent replied. "That's why. Someone named-"

Miss Piggy had gotten him talking about himself and that was all the distraction she needed to slide her fingers under the shelf with her thumb tucked above it. A tug and the back of the shelf fell free from the wall. A lift and throw and it collided with the agent's head, spitting jewellery across the shop and smashing over the man's skull. He released her arm, gasping mid-word at the end of his sentence.

"-Kerm-" Smash. He was thrown sideways and his ribs met the counter.

Miss Piggy snatched her arm free and ran, bouncing off the door in her hurry to yank it open. She pitched out into the street and hobble charged away through the plaza, side-stepping citizens. Her broken shoes held her up but slowed her down. She didn't have time to remove them. She glanced once over her shoulder and saw the man raise a gun from inside the shop.

Piggy dove out of the plaza into a central square and heard plate glass crumble before a bullet in the distance, and kept running.

She stumbled through the park, racing past the bench and joining an alleyway. Her footsteps echoed of the crummy dark walls.

A dog leapt at her from a doorway, tangling into her feet. She screeched. The dog yapped.

It was a small dog with matted white fur, gone grey with spots of black dirt and dust. It's teeth were sharp and snapped at the skirt of her pale dress. She had worn that dress to impress. Now she remembered why she wore sweatpants at home. The dog's teeth caught the material and the hem ripped.

Piggy kicked at the dog and it yelped, cowering away from her. "Leave me!" she shouted, bumping off the wall of the alley, backing away from the dog. "Stay back! Shoo! Go away!"

The dog lowered its head, ashamed, then peeked at her and whined.

Piggy turned and ran.

She rushed along the alleyway towards the light at the other open end and a man stepped neatly into her way. She gasped in horror, then melted in relief. "Oh, Murray, thank god."

Her landlord, the honourable Murray Plotski, stood silently, looking through blurred eyes at Miss Piggy's state of disrepair. Her dress was torn up one side to her thigh. The top-half of her dress was lopsided and had fallen off a shoulder, revealing soft pink skin. Her make-up had run with sweat and tears and she breathed erratically. Murray sucked air through his teeth.

"Oh, Murray, dear. I am so glad to see you…vous. Can you…I need…" She stuttered and wondered if she was physically capable of asking that man for help. That man who…was… Miss Piggy dry swallowed. "I need to get back home," she said finally.

Murray's moustached lips trembled, and his feathery eyebrows quivered. "Okay," he said. "Let's get you back." He moved in, slipping his arm under hers as support, sliding his hand up from her elbow to her shoulder.

Piggy closed her eyes and hopped, forced to bump against him each time she walked. He trod on her foot. The tips of his long fingers touched cold against the soft skin of her neck and Miss Piggy just kept moving.

Just get home. Get in. Shut the door. Lock it. Be alone.

Murray guided her off the pavement into the street and they crossed as cars screeched and trembled to a stop. Miss Piggy stepped onto the opposite curb and he stepped up after her and behind her, banging his right knee against the back of her left leg. They struggled to the door where Murray released her and flipped keys on a ring.

Piggy leant against the doorframe and drew breath.

Murray pushed the door open with one hand and stood for her to pass him.

"Um…I…um, I am very thankful." She wasn't, and as she ducked under his arm she thought she felt his hand in her hair, for just a moment, then she was safely inside and stutter ran up the stairs before he could follow. She reached her room and slammed the door shut.

The bolts and chains were cold as she shook them into place. She stepped backwards and felt her cats flocking around her feet, meowing and welcoming her home. The kitties and her, alone, in her home. She let her eyes sweep the apartment, pausing on a heart-shaped box that lay propped against her couch. Yes, she was safe. She was home. No one could get in here.

She rustled her dress down off her shoulders and let it slid down and off her onto the floor in a tangled mess. It had been a stupid idea to wear that dress in the first place. She hated dresses. She hated needing jobs. She hated needing. She hated.

She stepped out of the dress, tugged one glove free from her right hand and dropped it onto the dress on the floor. Behind her, to the left, she heard the bathroom door open as she turned around she heard a voice sang out.

"How did it go Miss Pigg-"

Piggy.

...Gonzo.

.......How did…?

Gonzo's eyes widened as Piggy's face burnt red. She had forgotten…she hadn't remembered him until now. Gonzo's mouth parted, but he didn't say a word. Miss Piggy stared. How could she have been so-…? Now it was Gonzo's face growing hot as he discovered it was too late for him to pretend he'd seen nothing, too late to dive back into the bathroom and pretend it never happened. He realised he was staring and panicked to decide if looking away was better or worse then not moving at all.

At the same time, Miss Piggy realised that it was far too late to snatch her dress up from the floor to cover herself, without seeming either embarrassed or ashamed and she did not want to seem embarrassed, and she had nothing to be ashamed of. Her ankles started itching and she jigged her foot a little bit, trying to ignore it the twitch.

Gonzo finally shut his mouth. His eyelids moved in confusion. Miss Piggy tipped her head sideways, but could not think of a single thing that would be worth saying to make this situation any better.

She moved her foot again. Gonzo opened and closed his fingers and managed to part his lips enough to speak. "How did it go at the interview?" he asked.

"It didn't," Miss Piggy replied. "Not well. "

"Oh."

"Yes."

"What happened?"

"He'd…employed someone else, I think. It was really quite complicated."

"Aah."

Their eyes met and they both blushed from their eyes down throughout their faces, then both moved at once, mumbling, "Excuse me." Gonzo turned completely around and walked back into the bathroom. Miss Piggy scooped her clothing up in an armful and ran into her bedroom. Bedroom and bathroom doors both slammed shut together and neither emerged for an hour.

When they finally did regroup, about the time that their hunger overcame their embarrassment, all conversation revolved entirely around the fur shedding habits of Miss Piggy's cats.

To be continued...

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm... Not sure what to think of this development... Will let you know as soon as more gets posted. So post more please!

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score

*faints at the thought of that pairing*

I...guess anything could...happen in a world with no....Kermit.

Beauregard

Reaction score
ReneeLouvier said:

*faints at the thought of that pairing*

I...guess anything could...happen in a world with no....Kermit.
Pairing? What pairing?

Ok...so...I don't suppose I will get away with acting innocent here? But let's not get ahead of ourselves, people, this was just Gonzo stepping into the room to find Piggy in a state of undress...this wasn't pairing. A lot of misunderstanding can still happen...and in this universe, you can be assured that it will.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Beau! LOVED IT!!! MURRAY!!! EEEEEEEEEEE!!! GONZO AND PIGGY!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I can't WAIT to see where this goes! Oh I am so excited!