Video: "The Muppet Movie - The (Nearly) 35th Anniversary Edition" coming to Blu-Ray in 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

muppetlover123

Reaction score
When I first saw the trailer and thought about the fact that no specific date is on there (just 2013) I wondered if it was official or fan made. Especially since the youtube channel it's associated with sounds more like something a YouTuber would have. But hopefully this is real. Too bad it doesn't show cover art or a list of features.

it was a trailer for a disney dvd recently came out

Edit: It was the Timothy Green Movie

jvcarroll

Reaction score
When I first saw the trailer and thought about the fact that no specific date is on there (just 2013) I wondered if it was official or fan made. Especially since the youtube channel it's associated with sounds more like something a YouTuber would have. But hopefully this is real. Too bad it doesn't show cover art or a list of features.
The ad looks very slick and very Disney to me. I don't see anything fan made about it. As others have confirmed, this has also been supported by various sources. There is no 2013 date listed. It just says "The Nearly 35th Anniversary Edition" so it could come out any time before June 2014. They're probably creating the interactive menus for it right now. They've already got the Muppeteers together for the Christmas appearances and they'll begin shooting the new Muppet movie next month. That's what the timing of this says to me. :smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I'd love to have an HD quality screenshot of the finale when this comes out; it'll make a gorgeous desktop background.
Hopefully that Disney Intermission feature (assuming it's on this release) won't ruin that. Though I've seen screen grabs from The Muppets blu-ray online, so I guess it's possible.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Hopefully that Disney Intermission feature (assuming it's on this release) won't ruin that. Though I've seen screen grabs from The Muppets blu-ray online, so I guess it's possible.
I'm pretty sure you can turn the feature off.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
You can turn that feature off in the main menu settings.

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
So what are our demands so far (lol):

- clean new transfer, video AND audio
- restored Kermit meets Rowlf "grasshopper" dialogue & full "I Hope That Something Better Comes Along" song (if filmed? can't remember)
- UK credits with audible dialogue (at least as an extra)
- performers'/director/ANY surviving crew members' commentary
- behind-the-scenes/deleted scenes/outtakes (all restored as much as possible)
- The Muppets Go Hollywood tv special (and The Muppets At WDW on GMC when it eventually comes to bluray)
- Drew Struzan cover art (this is a big one for me too Jamie!! :smile: )

... and any other fun surprises they want to include, of course. Everything above should be mandatory, and should be thought of as mandatory not only by the fans, but whomever is in charge of getting this release amped-up and ready too... and they should be a Muppet fan as well. :wink:

Oh, one last thing: an advert for The Muppet Show Seasons 4 & 5 FINALLY being released on dvd/bluray. Yeah, that should definitely be included. :big_grin:

muppet maniac

Reaction score
I, too, am very happy that this is happening. It's about time too. Now if we could just get seasons 4 and 5 out there...

Here's my list of what I'd like to see on the upcoming release...
*A retrospective special with the Muppeteers, Henson family/legacy, any of the surviving cast/crew
*Behind the scenes footage, including the big finale - if behind the scenes footage for that even exists; Tim would probably know (forgot to ask Earl/WasOnceErnie)
*Tonight Show appearance from 1979 w/ Kermit hosting
*All the trailers and TV spots, both US and overseas
*Deleted scenes
*Photo gallery (concept sketches, storyboards, pictures of the "Swamp Creature" that never made it into the final film)
*Muppets Go Hollywood special

I also hope this release will have two versions for us to choose from: the original, theatrical version and the extended UK version.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The thing about special features for these older movies is that they have to still exist. Most of the time, these things just get thrown out because no one would ever bother to see them. I hope that Henson/Disney/whoever has a huge stockpile of old footage to use. I'm sure they can put the camera tests that the Sony release had on it, but anything else would have to be up to whatever they have available.

But somehow I doubt they'd get us the UK extended cut. They should, totally... or at least scene comparisons or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.