Video Tapes Wanted for DVD-R Transfer

anathema

Reaction score
getup said:
...but, overall, vhs-dvd is more like vhs-vhs minus a couple of quality points...basically, you can't get a better picture than what you start out with
That's not entirely true :smile: There are various things that can be done to improve matters, including repairing picture faults, that simply aren't possible with a tape-to-tape copy. At the very least, you can produce a transfer that is identical to the original VHS with no generation loss (that's not to say it'll be any good, it just won't be any worse than the original tape!). However, this requires some extra kit, like a TBC, and a pro or semi-pro capture card :smile:

Ol' Buddy Bert

Reaction score
I've actually taken the time to transfer the premiere episode of SS from VHS to DVD.

The quality on the DVD is just the same as the VHS but I also have the satisfaction of knowing that I won't have to touch my VHS tape (thereby wearing it out) and that the DVD will be a little bit more of a stable format over a longer period of time.

It's not the quality that I'm worried about...it's the preserving something that will not see an offcial release that's more important to me.

scarecroe

Reaction score
Plus you can make it with chapter stops which is a nice convenience :smile:

anathema

Reaction score
scarecroe said:
Plus you can make it with chapter stops which is a nice convenience :smile:
And fix nasty little tape-related problems :smile: My original VHS of "A Christmas Together" suffered from an unstable picture, and a nasty yellow tint. Running it through a TBC and the computer allowed me to fix both problems, and I was also able to dehiss the soundtrack. The DVD still looks like a n-th generation VHS, but it's nowhere near as bad as the original :smile: