Video: Matt Vogel premieres as Kermit in Muppet Thought of the Week

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
See the first public appearance of Kermit the Frog by Matt Vogel and let us know your thoughts.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
It's not the Kermit I grew up on, but seeing this I think Matt Vogel will grow into Kermit.

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
It'll definitely take some getting used to.

Definitely sounds too much like Constantine though.
Yeah, in this it sounds like a mix between Robin and Constantine if Constantine had perfected his Kermit impression.

I'm going to have to see another video to see if it's improved before I make a solid judgement. At least the puppetry was solid.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
See the first public appearance of Kermit the Frog by Matt Vogel and let us know your thoughts.

Hooray! Now I don't have to go out of my way to get to the Hollywood Bowl to hear Matt as :smile:. As for my thoughts on the voice, yes, it didn't sound like Steve there, but I don't hear too much of Constantine in the voice. Sounds a bit more like Jim's Kermit than Steve's, but overall not too bad. Pretty good actually. Like someone said, may take some getting used to, but I can see Matt improving with time.

Yeah, in this it sounds like a mix between Robin and Constantine if Constantine had perfected his Kermit impression.
I know what you mean. He really didn't say too much in that one, but hopefully that's a sign we'll see more of Matt's Kermit in the future.

Muppetboy09

Reaction score
It's really too bad that he performed Constantine before this, because now, we will always "hear Constantine" in his Kermit. It's not bad, but definitely a shock to the senses.

In a more critical sense, it sounds very nasally and forced at the beginning. By the time he says "My mistake, it's this way", it actually sounds pretty darn good.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
It's like, what, 14 seconds of him actually talking? Not a lot to go on.

But, we'll see. I'm not "Wow, he's perfect!" But, we'll see...

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Just watched the video and actually think it's really good. I mean, the voice isn't great but it's not bad. Also, he has similar speaking patterns to Matt's other characters, so that's interesting, but overall, everything else was really good. It kind of sounds like both Steve and Jim's Kermits. The main problem is just that his voice needs to be just slightly higher (especially if he wants to sing well), but let's be honest, this video was probably filmed months ago, Matt's probably already improved since then (don't forget, they have been rehearsing for The Hollywood Bowl for a while now).

Really, i'm just happy we have Kermit back after all these months.

Muppetboy09

Reaction score
The way I look at it, it seems that when Steve first took over, he tried very hard to mimic Jim, and it just felt unnatural. Over time, Kermit's voice changed into a higher pitched voice (closer to Steve's speaking tone), and we got used to it. I feel like the same thing will happen with Matt's Kermit. He will soon begin to get more comfortable with the role, and give Kermit some new life. Best of luck to him :smile: