Video: Matt Vogel premieres as Kermit in Muppet Thought of the Week

Rugratskid

Reaction score
Genuinely wasn't expecting this today... is it bad that I'm really digging Matt's performance?

My only real complaint I even had with Steve, was that his performance drifted way too far from Jim; of course, some changes were needed, but in the later years, he felt less like Kermit, and more like...well, I'm not even sure. However, I don't dislike Steve's interpretation of the character; he did a lot of amazing things with him, and I applaud him for such.

Now, this is only around 15 seconds, so I can make a full assessment, but, it definitely leans a lot more towards Jim. The first line ("dreams are how we figure out..) seems a bit forced, but, again, this is his first performance, and I applaud and look forward to seeing him improve even moreso in the future.

ferrell

Reaction score
Ok. I must say that it's going to take me some time to get used to the new voice and just like others I do hear Constantine.. I agree that he is leaning more towards Jim's Kermit than Steves. however I don't think it sounds Just like Jim. Only a little . first off Jim's Kermit was more "in the back of the throat" and it had more depth to it and it was not so "nasal" sounding, like what I hear in this video. Steves Kermit was more "nasal" higher and softer than Jim's "throat" voice. so it's like he is mixing the two together by having Jim's deep voice but Steves nasal sound. Is he purposely doing this in order to mix the two together is only for him to say but it looks like at least subconsciously that is what he is doing. Steves nasal sound with Jim's depth. I wish him luck the only suggestion I would make ,if he is going for a strictly Jim sound and not a Steve sound, would be to move it from the nose to the throat. However if he IS mixing the two voices it will be interesting to see how he does it.

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
I directly avoided the comments on this (and Linz' Ernie stuff), just because I know they're gonna be flippin' out.
Actually, the response to Peter's Ernie has been mainly positive from what I've seen. I myself have been enjoying it.

But yeah, avoid the comment sections where you can.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It also probably would've helped if he did something more instead of some dumb one-liner.
Hey, it's a second rate one liner! :smile:

Kidding aside, I think Matt did a great job. I wasn't reminded of Constantine, definitely reminded of Jim. And it was wise of them to limit the moment to a one liner, just a small taste. Down the line of course, Disney is going to have to work on the writing they give the characters.

Banjo man

Reaction score
I don't know what to say about Matt's Kermit. It's not exactly like Jim's but is sort of similar, and sounds a lot like Constantine.But I believe Matt will get better over time. I do like Steve's Kermit more than Matt's but this is only his first try.Hopefully he will get better soon.:skeptical:
However if he IS mixing the two voices it will be interesting to see how he does it.
I like this idea that Matt is trying to mix the best of both worlds (Jim and Steve) :smile:

Randall Flagg

Reaction score
I'm gutted...

"Not bad" for such a huge character in pop culture isn't a ringing endorsement!! I love Matt, but this really doesn't work for me...at all!!!
Keep in mind that "not bad" was exactly how many people described Steve's Kermit when he first took over. Gradually, people got used to it, and now plenty of people miss it.

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
Well, now that this is finally over and done with, I'm going to be waiting for Rizzo to make his comeback....if he actually does make a comeback. For some reason, Rizzo being recast scares me more than Kermit doing so.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Again, one of the main reasons we see considerably less of Rizzo and other rats is because the fabric used for their fur isn't manufactured anymore.

Rugratskid

Reaction score
Again, one of the main reasons we see considerably less of Rizzo and other rats is because the fabric used for their fur isn't manufactured anymore.
Didn't the same happen with Fozzie at some point, or am I imagining things? I would think that a replacement fabric wouldn't be impossible to find.. then again, maybe I'm wrong on that one. :stick_out_tongue: