Very Merry Muppet DVD Observations

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Super Scooter said:
Me, I don't have a problem with "God" being represented by Whoopi Goldberg in the movie. It is, after all, only a movie. I really dout if Whoopi Goldberg is God in real life. :stick_out_tongue:
Well, she was the CENTER SQUARE, and perhaps that's as high as we mere mortals can aspire. :wink:

:big_grin:

matleo

Reaction score
beaker said:
is this the first Muppet film to get a PG? lol
No, beieve it or not, GMC was rated PG when it was released because janice mentions "****" during the "Happiness Hotel" song. Back in the old days the ratings systems were much harsher. this was before the days of "Simpsons" "South Park" and video games that help train future commandos, assassins, and psychopaths.

--matt

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
At least in the United States, Caper was originally rated "G". It's on the original theatrical 1 sheet and other promotional items.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
CousinLuke said:
You were not dicussing other religions in your post. The only religion that I have heard about this being offensive to is Christianity. Also, The new testament does give "God the father" male characteristics. Some claim that the Holy Spirit has female characteristics though. However, most likely this discussion will not change either of our oppinions so I say that we not discuss this subject anymore.
It is evident that you haven't comprehended the content of my posts from your replies and that's okay. It appears you really want to believe this and it is engrained in your belief system. In the end the sexual assignment of God is not important to Christian faith. The only difference it makes is in the politics of a male dominated society.

I've studied Christian theology for many years under the Catholic and Baptist churches. Long story there. So I'm not speaking out of personal opinion. I'm speaking from what I have studied. Your opinion is a common misunderstanding and is not supported by most theologians. Even common sense should tell you that an almighty being wouldn't have use for sexual assignment. Stories thought he Bible were told in a language people could understand. That accounts for a lot. The text must be read and studied as a whole to come to a real understanding of it. Even the most studied scholars have many questions. Some take the story of Eden as a parable; others take it as an absolute reality. In the end, under religious doctrine, there's no way to really know until one meets his or her maker. Seeing God even represented in prime time these days should thrill religious people.

WiGgY

Reaction score
CousinLuke said:
Yes I do.

You were not dicussing other religions in your post. The only religion that I have heard about this being offensive to is Christianity. Also, The new testament does give "God the father" male characteristics. Some claim that the Holy Spirit has female characteristics though. However, most likely this discussion will not change either of our oppinions so I say that we not discuss this subject anymore.
Do you realize that the Bible was written by committee of men many years, maybe even hundreds of years, after Jesus died? Stories were created, not to be taken literally, but to be interpreted so that the morals and values may be passed on to society. If the Bible were simply a list of laws written out plainly no one would really care, but to learn morals and values through a story is much more entertaining and so that's why the stories are there.

Women were not shown in the best light because the Bible was written by men and if a group of men write something like the Bible, which will set societies standards, do you think they'd want women to be equal or even more powerful in that society? Of course not. So to look to the Bible, or any religious document from any religion, and try to take it literally, you'll end up not learning anything at all.

Wait, this is muppet central, not a religious forum. Um...nevermind. :big_grin:

petrieboy

Reaction score
Trying to ever figure out the so-called reasoning of the MPAA is on a parallel with trying to figure out how to remove a hickey before the sun rises. Good luck.
That said, I was disappointed with A Very Merry Muppet Christmas movie. I liked its energy, but it left me merriless and depressed about the state of the Henson company.
To say that we are created in God's image may be true from a Christian standpoint. But then it would also be true that Eve and Adam both disobeyed God and thrust us into a constant struggle to regain God's likeness... one which, theologically speaking, will not be completely possible until we enter the gates of Heaven. Thus, human beings are fallible, wreckless specimens who do not live up to their origins, "Created in the likeness of God." We may change, but God surely does not. So for those viewers watching through faith-based spectacles- Whoopi will be offensive. And then, so should George Burns. My Christian mother never approved of the old guy with the cigar as God. And she would not approve of Whoopi either.
And it's a shame that I am afraid to show a Muppet Christmas film to my family, knowing that it will make them question the new Muppet company, and feel that the masterminds behind the foam and felt are blaspheming God.
I am now living in the Middle East- and my mind has opened to many new things. Here is a country (United Arab Emirates) which is Islamic. The mosques call for prayer 5 times a day. And I can tell you one thing- Its A Very Merry Muppet Christmas would be SEVERELY edited in this country, and on dvd here. Whoopi would not even show up. I saw "Bruce Almighty" in the theater here, and no one in the audience had any idea why Jim Carrey suddenly had "magic" powers. As soon as Morgan Freeman popped up, he was chopped out. Muslims find it extremely offensive to consider that God came to earth as Jesus (who by most every account was at least a loving, beautiful and wonderful "man.") because it gives a human quality to God- who, they believe, is vast and undefinable in human terms (they do not refer to him as Heavenly Father.)
Why alienate viewers? This movie alienated many, some longtime Muppet fans too. We can argue all you like about why it's not blasphemous or why it is- but messing around with "God" and classic family-oriented characters paves a road of risk.
I have a feeling that the MPAA morons gave it PG because of Pepe getting his face stuffed against Joan's breasts, and drugged-up, half naked, prostitute-driven (okay, okay, pushing it a bit) Scooter swinging his thing in a rave cage.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Wiggy,

You asked "do you realize?" as though the idea that the Bible was written by committee 1000s of years later was a proven fact. This is nothing more than an unproven theory by Christianity's detractors.

There is nothing in the Bible to indicate that these stories are not to be believed, nor was there any indication handed down from generation to generation that the stories were not to be taken literally. No one is trying to convince anyone else that Aesop's fables are true. There are very specific moments when Jesus tells a fictional story (those are the parables); the rest is presented as that which Jesus actually did and said. Christians believe that the events of the Bible were written down by the firsthand witnesses who experienced them, and there is historical precedence for these beliefs.

It should also be noted that the Bible does not truly have a hateful view towards women, though many people (even some Christians, unfortunately) have ministerpeted verses for their own egotistical ends. A person who truly takes the Bible at what it says understands that men and women are all one in Christ Jesus (Galatians 3:28).

I'm not trying to force you to see things my way; just asking that maybe you grant us a little more credit (i.e. respect) in your posts.

Thanks for your participation in this forum, though, and I look forward to your future posts.

Randlev

Reaction score
hey, I know there seems to be a fairly heated discussion going on in here, but I was just wondering if I could ask something. I'm pretty new around here, and I was wondering if anyone could direct me to either a thread with the information or give me information on who played who in It's A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie. I'm just looking for some kind of a listing that shows all the characters and who they were played by, and maybe who they have been played by in the past. In fact, maybe I can remember seeing a list like that somewhere on this site. Could somebody point me in the right direction?

I was also curious about what Frank Oz's true status in the Muppet organization is. Is he out forever? Or would we probably see him at least come back for a Theatrical Feature if only to do the voice-overs?

Once again, I'm sorry if theses things have been discussed to death before, but any response would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :big_grin:

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
don't worry....the only thing that's been talked to death here is muffins! and welcome! I don't know where a full cast list is, so I can't answer that, but I can shed some light on your other question

Frank is not entirely out, and shoots some Seseme when his schedule allows. That's the answer in a nutshell. A movie would take too long, and since Eric is doing such a great job, a voiceover wouldn't be needed.

now MY question! any idea when these reviews will be posted, Phil (they probably already have, and miss blonde has not realized) I had to choose between Lion King and Muppets...and all Sam's had was Lion King, so my choice was made!

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Randlev said:
hey, I know there seems to be a fairly heated discussion going on in here, but I was just wondering if I could ask something. I'm pretty new around here, and I was wondering if anyone could direct me to either a thread with the information or give me information on who played who in It's A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie.
Our FAQ should contain some of the info you are looking for...

http://www.muppetcentral.com/help/faq/muppets.shtml#7

If a character was performed by a new performer the info should be here. If you have other questions let us know. We are here to help.