Very Merry Muppet DVD Observations

blackurth

Reaction score
I have a feelng that it's PG because there is a "GOD" in it (remember whoopi) which would make it controversal therefore giving it a PG rating also maby the gay stuff but we have had "gay" stuff in the past with the muppets,remember the "BUBBA" joke in muppets in space? also I see why they left off snoop ,after all he is a felon who has been in prison and now has videos of him and naked women advertised on t.v. so I don't think he is a great influence on kids.now if he went on the muppets and spoke out against drugs or against violence and has changed his life around then that's different I would be all for it.

AnthonyF3

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
HOWEVER... I do agree that if the rating is PG, more people will respect it, since bratty kids think G means "Baby Movies" (What I can't stand with kids is they throw around the word "Baby" movie or show, and watch juvenile crap anyway)
Clearly someone didn't notice that a little picture called Finding Nemo is the highest grossing movie of the year so far . . .

WiGgY

Reaction score
blackurth said:
I have a feelng that it's PG because there is a "GOD" in it (remember whoopi) which would make it controversal therefore giving it a PG rating also maby the gay stuff but we have had "gay" stuff in the past with the muppets,remember the "BUBBA" joke in muppets in space? also I see why they left off snoop ,after all he is a felon who has been in prison and now has videos of him and naked women advertised on t.v. so I don't think he is a great influence on kids.now if he went on the muppets and spoke out against drugs or against violence and has changed his life around then that's different I would be all for it.
I doubt the PG rating came from Whoopie being God. That's far fetched. Also, the muppets are NOT FOR KIDS! Sesame Street is for kids but not the Muppet Show muppets. So, I don't care what Snoop did, if the scene was good and the EM finally get a scene to themselves after 13 years then I say keep the thing. Oh, and I don't think the rat jail was a gay thing at all. It was a rat named Bubba in jail. How is that. as you put it, "gay" stuff? The only gay humor was Gonzo explaining to Kermit that he always had alien tendencies and that he didn't choose to be an alien. That made me laugh. :big_grin:

CousinLuke

Reaction score
I have a feelng that it's PG because there is a "GOD" in it (remember whoopi) which would make it controversal therefore giving it a PG rating
Normaly I would give this Idea little clout but this might be the "mild thematic elements" (notice no mention of "racy humor", which is what the gay jokes would have been). My therory is that the more somber, sad tone was the reason for the rating (Kermit wishing he was never born). That would fit the definition of thematic elements.

blackurth

Reaction score
WiGgY said:
I doubt the PG rating came from Whoopie being God. That's far fetched. Also, the muppets are NOT FOR KIDS! Sesame Street is for kids but not the Muppet Show muppets. So, I don't care what Snoop did, if the scene was good and the EM finally get a scene to themselves after 13 years then I say keep the thing. Oh, and I don't think the rat jail was a gay thing at all. It was a rat named Bubba in jail. How is that. as you put it, "gay" stuff? The only gay humor was Gonzo explaining to Kermit that he always had alien tendencies and that he didn't choose to be an alien. That made me laugh. :big_grin:
true the muppets aren't made specifically for kids but parents who grew up on the muppets like to turn their kids onto them like they were when they were kids so i'm sure the henson people are aware of that fact because it was the parents who petitioned not to have snoop on the movie (at least that was what was said on the news last year) as far as "bubba" being a "gay" joke remember they were in a "jail" type of situation (a cage) and you know that whole "don't be bubbas *****" joke that always surrounds the jail cell...as far as whoopi being "GOD" anytime anyone is "GOD" it is controversal I don't know if that was really what gave it a PG rating but I'm sure because parents like to watch the muppets with their kids and it's up to the parents to give their children morals (religious or not) it would make since to warn the parents about such things so they know how to handle such discussion with their kids.personally I'm not offended by it but that doesn't mean other parents aren't and I wouldn't be offended with snoop just as long as he gives a positive message and not talk about gangsta stuff and drugs (which most adults are offended by so it's not just about children) I'm not trying to offend anyone I'm just making a statement about what parents want to show their kids.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Vets Hospital - It aint pretty

I haven't watched the DVD yet. but here's a scan of the Vet's Hospital beans. Be afraid. be very afraid. The chicken is very cute. :mad: :sympathy: :flirt:
www.jamesvier.com/etc/vetsbeans.jpg Heck, I'll probably get them anyway. :rolleyes:

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Actually, I think the PG rating is appropriate. Howard slaps Kermit's butt, Pepe talks about topless nightclubs at the beginning, he stares at Joan Cusack's cleavage, he uses the word "s**ks" at the end, Piggy uses a very risque phrase in the Moulin Scrooge scene (but she says it in French), Johnny Fiama thinks Kermit's drunk at one point, and then there's the whole rave scene. These are the kind of things that the ratings board groups under "mild thematic elements." I was actually rather shocked when NBC gave the movie a TV-G, in fact.

I've never heard of a case where a portrayal of God has gotten a movie a higher or lower rating from a ratings board. And while movie ratings are sometimes used for marketing purposes, one couldn't take, say, "Terminator 3" and get a G rating from the ratings board. This movie is no "Terminator 3," obviously, but I think it got a PG rating in this case simply because it was most appropriate.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Well, i looked in six different places and none of them has any copies of VMX - but was able to pick up a rental copy from Blockbuster.

True the extras aren't on the level of MTI or MCC but they certainly rank above the "original three" - there may be no commentary or cute menus (the menus are VERY dorky) but the Inside Pepe's Studio is excellent as are the deleted scenes (including the two as Easter Eggs) and the blooper reel. There were probably even MORE stuff that was edited out for time they could have included on the DVD (indeed, the Snoop Dogg scene is not included so all of us wondering how his scene would have went will have to wonder more) but the extra scenes are worth seeing.

Sam's scene would have been before Kevin Clash looped the voice - if it had stayed in, i'm sure those lines would have been looped like his other lines in the film...but why bother? The voice of the original Muppeteer sounded fine enough but maybe they decided it wasn't deep enough (though Kevin makes it TOO deep).

Read some reviews on Amazon and i think the "freepers" are going after it because of Whoopi as God...they always have to find something insignificant to go off about and they do it en masse when it really isn't worth making a big deal of...Henson was not trying to offend anyone or spread some "message" - Whoopi is cast as God because this is a comic movie and if you're going to show God in a comedy, you show someone one would genuinely not expect to be God. Hence, the Whoopster. No one seems to complain about George Burns when he's God...but since he's a white male i guess that makes it "okay". Yeesh.

...and indeed that would have had no bearing on the rating...the PG would have come from some of the more risque humor. Not that i'm complaining! (Heck if Janice can say **** in GMC and with all the montage fantasy scenes during Never Before Never Again in TMM implies, it's probably overdue!)

If someone finds a copy to actually purchase, let us know what inserts are included, the Blockbuster copy has the coupon book in there but they may have taken out the sheet that lists the chapter stops...and am curious if there's any additional goodies/info on that inside flap.

blackurth

Reaction score
there are two easter eggs? I only found 1 (the one at the top of the menu) where's the other one?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
dwmckim said:
Read some reviews on Amazon and i think the "freepers" are going after it because of Whoopi as God...they always have to find something insignificant to go off about and they do it en masse when it really isn't worth making a big deal of...Henson was not trying to offend anyone or spread some "message" - Whoopi is cast as God because this is a comic movie and if you're going to show God in a comedy, you show someone one would genuinely not expect to be God. Hence, the Whoopster. No one seems to complain about George Burns when he's God...but since he's a white male i guess that makes it "okay".
Agreed. Why does it seem like the most pious people know so little about their own theology? God has no need for gender assignment. I guess the "Him" and "Father" references that confuse certain people. A little common sense and minimal research could tell anyone that. If people were "created in God's image" than that would include Whoopi too.

Where are these people when companies put out films about people dying and becoming angels. That's something that really goes against the theology. Not trying to create an argument, it's just that I had 12+ years of dull Bible-based classes in private school. Got to put that knowledge to use somewhere. LOL!

Anyway, my point is that the critics are masking blatant sexism and ignorance in Biblical text. I'm not saying I agree with the writings, but if these people are going to preach it they ought to know it. It's a shame that so many people use God as an excuse for prejudice. :attitude: