Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by GWGumby
So that's what he said? It's so different when you see it in print. Maybe I should keep the closed captioning on when watch the shows. Oh wait, they don't have any.
What are ya trying to do to those poor calose captioning kids? hehe...I would hate to try and close caption type the Muppets!
Btw, I remember one time staying up watching one of those date tv shows on fox lat at night, and turned it on closed captioning. The kid must have been bored because he started started typing all this werid stuff, as well as random key strokes. It's amazing what one finds funny at 3am^_^

QUOTE]Originally posted by Rizzo

Since you seem interested in this, I've got him beat. I'm posting and I haven't even gone to bed yet at 10:41 AM!
(Not that I've been out partying. I'm not the partying type. I was just staying up watching television, and a Muppet Show DVD)
[/QUOTE]

Yikes kiddo! Now I have a headache. poo.

towels

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
What are ya trying to do to those poor calose captioning kids? hehe...I would hate to try and close caption type the Muppets!
Btw, I remember one time staying up watching one of those date tv shows on fox lat at night, and turned it on closed captioning. The kid must have been bored because he started started typing all this werid stuff, as well as random key strokes. It's amazing what one finds funny at 3am^_^
Some of that can be caused by bad reception too.
Actually the best cc entertainment I've found is Ripley's Believe it or Not on TNN or something. I'm always grossed out by the commercials and never try to watch it, but twice when I've been flipping past it, I've noticed that the closed captioning seems to be for a different episode than what is airing.

jeffy

Reaction score
Magic

I was blown away by this movie.

Excepting only MuppetFest, A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Special was the first truly magical Muppet production I've seen since Jim was with us. Muppets From Space had a few magical *moments*, like the opening scene, anything Pepe, the laboratory-rat-testing stuff. But AVMMCS was magical *overall*, as a whole.

For the first time since Jim was with us, the Muppets were not *struggling* to entertain us. For the first time in TWELVE years, the Muppets just relaxed, let go of their I-can't-believe-Jim-and-Frank-are-no-longer-with-us-so-we-have-to-recreate-all-their-amazing-characters-from-scratch-or-the-Muppets-will-die tension and worries, and were themselves. They let go of their stress, and Muppet magic was able to flow again. What a beautiful thing.

---

The thing that affected me most about this movie is how Kermit crossed the point of no return, as far as character development. He's added a whole new dimension to his personality! (Steve's) Kermit is a major step closer to being (is?) a fully fleshed character again! Not to put down one moment of how he's been since Steve's joined him--I've loved him every step of the way, and gave him whatever space he needed to come into his own. Watching Kermit get angry (and then loopy) was a wonderful thing for me...he's come into his own!

(For the first time, Kermit seems "loose". As I said, *all* the Muppets seem "loose". Finally. :' )

Specifically the "I wish I was never born" moment ("Come close...I WISH I WAS NEVER BORN!" :'). Watching Kermit go nuts was a high point for me, not just in this movie, but for his entire (Steve) history.

---

The second-biggest thing for me was when Kermit, in a MAGICAL MAJOR MUPPET PRODUCTION, on NATIONAL TELIVISION, mentioned muppetcentral.com!!! Holy crapamolee! Kermit *spoke* to us, people! On national television! This was nothing less than a direct line of supportive communication from The Jim Henson Company to muppetcentral.com. That should be thrilling for everyone from Phil and Cindy, down to the quiter members like me. Sherrie and my eyes opened wide at this moment, looking at each other and feeling like Kermit--my idol--was speaking to *us*. Wow!

---

My jaw dropped watching Fozzie, for the first time *alive* in, what?, ten years (the running-through-the-security-lasers-three-times gag BWAAAAAAAAAHaaaaahahaha). Piggy, too. It's amazing how their new Muppeteer(s?) has gotten these characters *down*. Congratulations to you!

And what *was* the dangling thing in Janice's mouth? Odd. :' )

The kids-and-Kermit statue was sweet and sappy and I loved it.

David Arquette was great. I just wish he had the big clumsy glasses on the entire movie. Seriously.

Watching The Swedish Chef and Beaker, the two incoherent characters, *arguing* during the sacrifice-your-salary-for-a-year scene, was priceless.

Speaking of priceless! I saw the both Mastercard commercials for the first time during this. Finally! (We have a vcr, but no reception)

---

PS: What is KSY? OHHHH! Kermit Swamp Years. :' )

---

I need to watch It's A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Special again. It's been too long since I started writing this post.

Gonzo

Reaction score
Just a note--

We had a family get-together last Saturday, and my sister and her husband were ECSTATIC about this movie....they're both casual Muppet fans, not freaks like me. They were going on and on (seriously for like ten minutes) about the parts they loved; particularly the "Moulin Scrooge" sequence and the "World without Kermit." They were both in love with Pepe "How long has he been around? he's HILARIOUS!!!!" And their 2 kids, who are five and seven years old, both loved it too.

That's it. Just a review from a non-rabid fan who happens to be related to a rabid fan.

And for the record, Janice has had a "dangling uvula" for most of her existence as a puppet--I'm VERY surprised many of you haven't noticed it before...

Now if she could just ditch the side ponytail...

Quinnnnnnnnnnnnn

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
Re: Magic

Originally posted by jeffy

And what *was* the dangling thing in Janice's mouth? Odd. :' )

David Arquette was great. I just wish he had the big clumsy glasses on the entire movie. Seriously.
that thing in Janice's mouth was her....epoglotus (might have spelled it wrong) YOU have one. I have one. WE ALL have one! but it DID stand out. ("Like, sorry guys, I was totally just tuning my harp!") love how she said harp

And about David Arquette, didn't he play a mean scientist who kept abusing Rizzo in MFS? well...now he's NICE!

DramaQueen86

Reaction score
Just to let you guys know, that epygoty thing, what ever you called it. The dangly thing in the back of you're throat (if that is what you're talking about), I know a girl that has two of them in the back of her throat!!! no kiddin!!! she goes to my school.

Just thought you should know!!:big_grin:

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Gonzo

Now if she could just ditch the side ponytail...

Quinnnnnnnnnnnnn
word. I mean I'm all for 80's resurgence...but that side pony tail would have to fall under various fashion faux paus like
big shoulders, rolled up sleeves, big teased hair, white striped jogger pants(which somehow made a comeback in 1998 sadly)
and skinny ties(tho I kind of liked those skinny ties...and the Jordie Laforge type visors! hehe)

Chilly Down

Reaction score
(Embarrased, Chilly takes off his white jogger pants.)

But you're saying my Geordi LaForge visors are okay? :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Re: Re: Magic

Originally posted by punkNpuppets

And about David Arquette, didn't he play a mean scientist who kept abusing Rizzo in MFS? well...now he's NICE!
WOW!! and I was just gunna say that.....

Did it not startle anyone eslse...