Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie Air Date

Stulz

Reaction score
A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie will Air on Nov. 29th @ 8pm on NBC.
The TV Movie WILL be avialible on DVD and VHS.

I don't know if they will have a phone # at the end of the movie to purchase it or not, but it WILL be avialible.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Eeeeeeeek! THat's a Friday nigth - not even in December. It was just reported that it would be December 9th. Hmmmm. Maybe it will have multiple broadcasts. I'm just glad we'll get it on DVD! Now we will really see if the extra scenes were only cut for time. I hope they're included!

Luke

Reaction score
If that is the single broadcast date that is a heck of a bad one - but it makes sense to tie in with the Macys parade and other promotions and i guess they can sell the DVD through December. It just doesn't do much for the Muppets TV profile and thats what they needed to get out of this. I would hope it gets a repeat very close to Christmas - it's not what i would have liked for them though. With retro in there should have been a big build up for the Muppets coming to NBC with a big family christmas movie (like in the 80's) and it should have aired very close to, if not christmas day with promos and guest spots right upto the date. I guess there might be some NBC/Fox stuff going on here. One thing to note is we are hearing a few different dates right now - schedules are not finalised for xmas yet, they always jump about quite a bit in the next few weeks.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Why do the Muppets keep getting stuck on Fridays? That's where the networks tend to push their undesirable programming. I tell Many 20-30 year old long time fans are usually out getting their groove on. I am convinced it had something to do with the cancelation of Muppets Tonight.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
One potential factor NBC might have considered in deciding to air the movie so early is that the 29th is the tail-end of November sweeps. Granted, the big sweeps shows usually air earlier in the month, but I believe an airing on the 29th i still measured by AC Neilson as part of sweeps month.

Also, a very good reason to put a Muppet Christmas Movie on Fridays is that (when properly promoted), Fridays can be a goldmine for family audiences (look what ABC did with Friday nights in 90s). Remember is that whether we like it or not, it's doubtful NBC intended the primary audience for "Muppet Xmas" to be 20 - 30 year olds. :frown:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but ABC booted Muppets Tonight from it's Friday line-up so that comparison is kind of strange, but I get what you're saying. Also, I know most networks consider Muppets kid fare, my comment was that they shouldn't. I find it a grave mistake. Many of my friends would have switched on Muppets Tonight during its run, but never knew it was on because they were never home on Friday night.

kansasteen14

Reaction score
I am going to be gone this day now what I do? oh well I will be at DL and wont even think about it.

murgatoad

Reaction score
Fridays are a lousy timeslot for TV shows. Too bad. Maybe NBC viewed the movie, didn't think much of it and so it's being dumped where it can't do any harm...

Luke

Reaction score
I'm yet to hear the official word on this - i have a feeling it'll get moved around a bit until we get a final date. Friday nights are terrible for the Muppets not just because of nostalgic 20-30's being out but i can't imagine them getting a big kid audience either - i think Sunday early evening (what we in the biz call 'shoulder peak') would have been better for them.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I completely agree. NBC has that somewhat sappy nostalgic show American Dreams on Sunday nights. I can see that audience crossing over to watch the special.