Update on It's A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie Realese

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Raccoons...wow. You guys have topped even me in the knowledge of obscure cartoons. :smile: I had completely forgotten about this one till I saw the picture!

There's a fine line with which shows should be on DVD and which shows shouldn't. It should either be popular in the mainstream (Friends, The Simpsons), to ensure good sales, or have a strong cult following (the recently-cancelled Firefly). Or else, it was once popular in the mainstream and now has a strong cult following (i.e. The Muppet Show). There are certain things that I think might just be too obscure for anyone. I loved the show Nowhere Man, but I'm not expecting Touchstone to put that one out on DVD. I hold out little hope for the Raccoons fans for the same reason.

By the same token, I don't think Will or Grace or Third Rock from the Sun are really necessary right now, because they're popular but not THAT popular, and they aren't really cult shows either. And the episodes are on all the time anyway.

For that matter, I'm surprised that Friends is doing so well on DVD. That show airs all the time, several times a day. What does one need the discs for? The commentary and extra stuff, I suppose, but I wouldn't care to buy it myself. For me, the ideal is if it's well-liked, but not that readily available. The Simpsons is an exception because there are 300+ episodes, and the only way to make sure you get them all is through boxed sets.

Anyway, my point is this: why is Saved by the Bell coming out before other, better shows?? It's neither immensely popular nor does it have a cult following. It's kind of a guilty pleasure at best. I wouldn't mind it if the studios were scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point, but there are so many shows that should have been released on DVD before this (Happy Days comes to mind, as does the original Land of the Lost, as well as many of the items on Manda's list).

Manda and Cantus Rock -- Of course Perfect Strangers was great. "Don't be ridiculous." :big_grin:

Frogboy: Yeah, it's strange about the Smurfs, isn't it? Like the Cabbage Patch Kids, the Care Bears, Trivial Pursuit, the Ewoks, and even the Muppet Babies, they didn't make it out of the '80s alive. Yeah, you can say most of the stuff was too cutesy and they were all just fads. But they were so huge for so long that their complete fall into obscurity is amazing. I've always been rather ambivalent either way towards the Ewoks, but when I was growing up, that was all anyone wanted to talk about. Now, people everywhere are Ewok-haters. Where did these people come from?

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Raccoons...wow. You guys have topped even me in the knowledge of obscure cartoons. I had completely forgotten about this one till I saw the picture!
LOL! Yeah, I always to that to people, when i talk about they are not sure, then if they see a pic, they are like OH MY GOD i loved that show!

I never forgot about it, i've always been a Raccoons fan.

zack)Rowlf the, we should all bow down to Sarah, Dog.

Luke

Reaction score
Yeah i will ALWAYS be a Racoons fan - one of the best cartoons out there that doesn't get much recognition yet still does fantastically on the international distribution. There may well be a slim chance of a DVD actually - plenty of distribution companies are starting up in Canada and looking to release Canadian properties cheaply on DVD to the country and Racoons production company has just merged with a larger one so we'll see ...

I know i've gone on about it before but Zack, do you remember 'Galaxy High School' ? It ran for just 13 episodes on CBS saturday mornings i think. That's one of my all time fave cartoons - it was developed by Chris Columbus (Harry Potter) and was one of Nancy Cartwright's voice jobs before the Simpsons. That was such a great idea - there was talk of a live action film not long ago.

Also the other day i picked up some videos of 'Denver The Last Dinosaur' ! :zany:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I didn't see much of the show, but I liked how the characters were drawn. Why do stations produce new garbage when they could rerun these gems at a sweet deal? You know, all they'd really have to do is maybe make a new modern animated intro. That's probably not even necessary. There are some cool shows locked up. :frown:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke

I know i've gone on about it before but Zack, do you remember 'Galaxy High School' ? It ran for just 13 episodes on CBS saturday mornings i think. That's one of my all time fave cartoons - it was developed by Chris Columbus (Harry Potter) and was one of Nancy Cartwright's voice jobs before the Simpsons. That was such a great idea - there was talk of a live action film not long ago.
Chirs Columbus Directed Harry potter? No wonder why I got lost watching the movie

DWOAH HO HO HO HO!!!:sleep: :boo:

Manda:-D

Reaction score
Originally posted by Cantus Rock

Manda - Perfect Strangers on DVD!!! YEEEESSSS!!!! Oh don't get me started...me and Byron have gone on for HOURS talking about this show. I stay up til 4 every night to watch it! Wooo!!:big_grin:
(PS - I think your "cow" was just fine :wink:)
-Matt
...Oh, gosh, I cannot DESCRIBE the extent to which I love that show!!!!! I'm not much of a stay up all night sorta person, (though I used to be), which is why I want it on DVD!!! (And if it EVER comes on DVD, I will do my "Dance of Joy" all the way to the video aisle!!!!!) ....And my "cow" was fake....I mean, it's all stuff I want, but I was being all fanatical a/b it b/c it was fun!!!!
....Oh, and, I fortgot one: Where's my Due South DVDS???????

Aaron

Reaction score
i know your cow was fake (with germen accent) what do ya take me for now

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Heh...

Its kind of funny hearing you guys talk about "obscure" cartoons, being a trader. All of the mentioned shows are common throw-arounds on the circuit. Some others that might bring back some memories for everyone:

David the Gnome
The Noozles
The Wuzzles
Shirt Tales
Kidd Video
Captain N: The Game Master
The Snorks
He-Man
She-Ra

...all are pretty common names on in the rings. There are people with complete sets of most of those shows (I myself have a few of those completed).

-Matt

Luke

Reaction score
Captain N :- The Games Master was pretty good - also how about the Super Mario Bros cartoon where they had live action Mario and Luigi introducing it.

Always used to enjoy He-Man - never a big She-Ra fan although 'Jem' was a girly cartoon and i'd watch that for my dose of cartoon T'n'A. :eek: Although never as good there was MASK and Centurions - oh and i still watch The Addams Family cartoon.

Did you guys ever get either 'Mysterious Cities Of Gold' or 'Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds' ?

They need more of this stuff nowdays ... sigh !

Manda:-D

Reaction score
Pirates of the Dark Waaaater.........Talk a/b obscure!

David the Gnome!!! OK, who DIDN'T love David the Gnome!!! I'd LOVE to watch that again!!! And Noozles....I used to tell my friends a/b the Nooles, whrn we talked a/b old cartoons, and they'd all look at me like I was crazy.....