Ugly Henson and Muppet promo comic from Big Boy (1979)

Drtooth

Reaction score
It makes me wonder.. in another time, in another place he had to do the Muppets for something better than a fast food promotion, he may have done something a little bit better.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
This is awful, lol.

Kermit looks ugly
Big Bird looks awful and in this comic they say he's a girl.
Bunsen has lipstick on him.
Erine is blue
Bert looks huge and honsetly dumb
I don't even know what they were trying to do with Grover
Oscar looks like actual trash and I don't think even he would like it

Plus doesn't seem odd that Henson would even allow a comic to be put out that basicailly says the Muppets aren't real to kids :confused:. I mean it's suppose to be that whole keeping the magic when they are young and stuff and it just seems odd to have a kids comic showing how their friends Kermit and Big Bird work, IDK, maybe it's just me.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Plus doesn't seem odd that Henson would even allow a comic to be put out that basicailly says the Muppets aren't real to kids :confused:. I mean it's suppose to be that whole keeping the magic when they are young and stuff and it just seems odd to have a kids comic showing how their friends Kermit and Big Bird work, IDK, maybe it's just me.
Well that was Carrol Spinney's view. Jim Henson did a lot of behind the scenes specials, which kids did see, of how the Muppets work. :smile:

Like I said, it's just very retro, a likely a reaction to the drawing values of the time.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Well I know he did that one episode of the Jim Henson Hour explaning the Muppets and how they work and all, but I always thought that was more of a "grown-up" show that kids can wacth and all, but more intead for the grown muppet fans. I know Jim has done specials and stuff like Muppets and Men and all that good stuff, but again even though you're right kids have seen it, was more for the more "mature" fans.

What I'm saying is this comic is totally for kids (or at least was), so it just seems odd to put it right in the face of the kids that they're not real.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well I know he did that one episode of the Jim Henson Hour explaning the Muppets and how they work and all, but I always thought that was more of a "grown-up" show that kids can wacth and all, but more intead for the grown muppet fans. I know Jim has done specials and stuff like Muppets and Men and all that good stuff, but again even though you're right kids have seen it, was more for the more "mature" fans.
Well yes I'm sure the behind the scenes shows were mainly for adults, but a lot of fans saw them as children, and still fondly remember them now, with no issue about seeing how the puppets work. Of course everyone's different. :smile:

Children do understand on some level that the characters are puppets. But Jim Henson often pointed out that even when people could see him puppeteering, they still only paid attention to the Muppet. :smile:

StreetScenes

Reaction score
yeah, as hideous as these characters are, i agree that they're just kind of the extreme of 70s cartoon style. they remind me a lot (especially :smile:) of the drawings in the sesame street book and record, which were done by a different guy, brian cranner. and not all the cartoons in the book & record set are that ugly, either. there are a couple of different styles, but for some reason the muppets are draw really distorted and creepy looking, and bert is pink with purple hair & unibrow. not sayin' i like it, just sayin i expect it...

lowercasegods

Reaction score
Thanks! I'm a bit of a fan of classic comedy. Anyway, I found a site that talks a little bit about Manny Stallman. It turns out, Stallman purposely used this strange style of characters on a regular basis.
http://www.povonline.com/cols/COL146.htm
After reading this, I honestly do not think that Mr. Stallman should be given a hard time for his design of drawing.
Ooh.

I see what you're saying. It definitely puts a halt on wanting to rag on what we perceive to be a bad artist. It definitely gives you pause to think before you insult someone's work. It certainly does me, anyway...

lowercasegods

Reaction score
It makes me wonder.. in another time, in another place he had to do the Muppets for something better than a fast food promotion, he may have done something a little bit better.
I'm still thinking their were character likeness issues which made him take these severe liberties in drawing the Muppets. That, at least, wouldn't be the artist's fault, more Big Boy's, I think.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Well yes I'm sure the behind the scenes shows were mainly for adults, but a lot of fans saw them as children, and still fondly remember them now, with no issue about seeing how the puppets work. Of course everyone's different.
Children do understand on some level that the characters are puppets. But Jim Henson often pointed out that even when people could see him puppeteering, they still only paid attention to the Muppet.
I still have issues..I mean I know they aren't real, I'm not crazy, but I would rather not have the magic broken for the most part:smile:. While I do only look at the puppet with Kermit and the fraggles , with a character like Big Bird or the other full bodies like the gorgs I'd rather not see them as just things made of thingamabobs and detachable heads :stick_out_tongue: :sympathy:. It's not just an age thing IMHO:concern: