Tween Dora?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That's almost how everyone didn't like the Muppet Babies. They all thought it was a bad plan. I know most fans here don't care for the Muppet Babies because they remember how the Muppet really meet. They didn't meet by being raised togther in a nursery by a nannny we never got to see her face. But i don't care whatever they do with Dora. If this does ok don't get all bent out of shape if Deigo grows up a little.
I actually loved Muppet Babies. I'm just concerned about whether "Tween Dora" will protray young girls in a positive light or not.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I think that sometimes the best 'light' they can put on a realistic girl or boy character is just an honest one without all the case studies and PC-ness that is common now. Not everyone had the same childhood but there are certain things that link them all together...I think Fraggle Rock and Muppet Babies did a very good job at showing those links :3. If only more show writers would remember those sort of things...

Drtooth

Reaction score
As far as Muppet Babies goes not everyone disliked it, or dislikes it now. There were fans and there still are fans like me and others (mostly around my age group) who remember it with a smile :smile:. I think, unlike many of todays shows, where they change a character's age,Muppet Babies did a good job of making its own world with a one of a kind feeling that was fun to watch.
A lot of the fan problems come from it being animated, the fact it didn't do much for the arguement that Jim Henson was a kiddy entertainer, and that it's non-canon... the last one is the only one I really have a huge disagreement with, since when exactly did the muppets have a solid canon, per se? Kermit said that the Muppet movie was only approximately how it happened, and I tend to think of the show as a "What if" situation.... And rewatching the series, it was clearly intended for younger audiences, but it had a lot of perilous situations... albeit, pretend ones, such as the Indiana Frog sequence when they were about to be crushed flat by the ceiling and that time that 1930's sci-fi villainess tried to enslave them.

The Rugrats Grown Up series on the other hand was mostly stories that had been done on shows like As Told By Ginger etc. You could have replaced all of the characters with new pre-teens (or teens, since those shows seem to think you should be one at nine now-.-) and it would not have changed much about it at all (the same might be true if Dora gets an 'older' series)...
Again, as I said, Rugrats all Growed up was basically a "What if" situation that somehow was justified into a TV series... I think it's a brilliant take on the fad of Babyfying classic cartoon characters the Muppet Babies to this day have inspired... Unfortunately, AGU was pretty much bland, and had a been there, done that (on Disney's One Saturday Morning twice) generic teen drama with the Rugrats's pasted in.

I still say doing the same with Dora isn't going to be as successful as they want it to be. With Rugrats, there was an audience outside of one target group. The show was pretty sophisticated for what it was, and even adults and older kids liked it. Dora has no appeal after 5 years old, and the only adults that watch it are the parents. Plus, the Rugrats had all these wonderfully complex personalities that manifested into their older counterparts in interresting ways... Chuckie's cowardice turned into reluctance and shyness, for example. Dora... really doesn't have much. She basically just asks the audience for help finding stuff? What can she find now? Her lipstick? :insatiable:

Redsonga

Reaction score
You remember what it was called? I sure don't :stick_out_tongue:

So, this Tween Dora thing is a seperate line? Are they going to release corny "fashion and boyz" movies like Bratz? XD
*Is overlooked* :cry:

That was the Barney patch for DOOM:embarrassed:. I never did like it, I thought that it was Barney hating overkill (hee:coy:)
Link

I think it just looks like older Dora will be a clothing line, not so much a cartoon...:\

SillyRed

Reaction score
"The only adults who watch Dora are the Parents." I watch Dora, and I'm not a Parent! I'm an Aunt!

Redsonga

Reaction score
I watch Dora whenever one of my friends has their little ones watching tv...really it is hard to not watch her if you have a tv and a friend with a baby right now IMHO :\. I may not like her but after a while your brain turns to jello watching it anyway :3

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Unfortunately, AGU was pretty much bland, and had a been there, done that (on Disney's One Saturday Morning twice) generic teen drama with the Rugrats's pasted in.
And the fact that they ripped off that stuff because it was popular at them moment and it didn't go over well pretty much proves that it as just a fad, anyway. Plus it didn't help that Rurgrats waaaay over welcomed it's stay on the air, either....

You remember what it was called? I sure don't :stick_out_tongue:

So, this Tween Dora thing is a seperate line? Are they going to release corny "fashion and boyz" movies like Bratz? XD
Sorry I don't remember.

But it's almost sounds like their going the Bratz route to me, but I not all the way sure?

Drtooth

Reaction score
And the fact that they ripped off that stuff because it was popular at them moment and it didn't go over well pretty much proves that it as just a fad, anyway. Plus it didn't help that Rurgrats waaaay over welcomed it's stay on the air, either....
Tell me about it. They had them like on 79 times a day... which sounds impossible (logic dictates that 48 episodes per day is the maximum with commercials), but somehow they made it happen. :super:

"The only adults who watch Dora are the Parents." I watch Dora, and I'm not a Parent! I'm an Aunt!
Aunts, Uncles... basically anyone with younger kids about who watch TV with them. Not people who watch cartoons to get into a study about them, such as myself.

I really like cartoons that reward older viewers as much as entertain the young. Remember, these shows are written by people that had to study fine literature and history and older films, plays, and cartoons. Jimmy Neutron's dog in named after the person that discovered rocket fuel (Goddard) and an episode features a robotic salesman called the "Willy Loman 3000." I call this the "Bullwinkle Factor." It's when things are supposed to go over a kid's head until they learn what the joke comes from. I remember laughing like an idiot in high school when I got the Ruby Yacht of Omar Kayam bit.