TV Alert: "In Their Own Words" Jim Henson Special on PBS Tuesday September 15, 2015

minor muppetz

Reaction score
HENSON'S PLACE used a number of TMS clips - both from the show and behind-the-scenes, that are also featured in this special; and considering Disney owns TMS . . .
Disney owns the Muppets (and The Muppet Show), Henson owns Henson's Place.

Anyway, I feel like this documentary was sort of like a hybrid between the great Word of Jim Henson and the rushed CNN People Profiles special (to be fair, the CNN one is the only Jim Henson documentary that did not initially air on public television, and therefore the only one that had commercial interruptions).

My ranking of the Jim Henson documentaries:
  • The World of Jim Henson
  • In Their Own Words
  • Henson's Place
  • CNN People's Profiles

Collgoff

Reaction score
I saw this on the night it was on T.V. I do like it.
But some of the scenes are about the things I never heard about Jim Henson before: along with that there also some scary things about.

Other then any of those things it was. Really good.

Lynnette

Reaction score
A nice tribute. Seems like they got all the facts straight. Included enough commentary to provide a good picture of Jim Henson, in addition to his own words. I especially enjoyed the comments by his family members and the Frank Oz description of a more complex person with more dimension than we often try to use to label people.

King Jim

Reaction score
I hope we see a Jim Henson movie with actors playing Jim and his family.

backpackmina

Reaction score
Bump - I don't know if you can still see this on PBS' site, but if you have Amazon Prime, the special's currently available to watch online.

CBPuppets

Reaction score
They talked about So many Things about Jim Henson, I never really knew about.

King Jim

Reaction score
They talked about So many Things about Jim Henson, I never really knew about.
Same here. It was amazing to learn how Jim Henson broke boundaries for many puppeteers by creating Muppets. Jim Henson really showed the world he could really bring a puppet to life and make it look real. It also showed how his Muppets make Sesame Street very successful then they became the core part of the entire show. With "The Muppet Show" becoming the most successful show ever. I did learn about his relationship with Jane Henson and the Disney deal in 1989. I even cried a little while watching it at the end of the documentary. Jim Henson is idol and he will always be that in my heart.

CBPuppets

Reaction score
Sometimes I wish I knew what went wrong (Speaking in terms of the Disney Merger Negotiations) and the fact that Jim referred it as the "God**** Deal" really Blew me away!