Trivia question about the 123 in the Sesame Street sign/logo

mjerguy2

Reaction score
Hello, all.

I'm a teacher at a Japanese junior high school in Nagano City, Japan. One of the English teachers here uses some Sesame Street materials in his classes.

One of his students asked why the Sesame Street sign--the logo--has 123 in the half circle above the actual words "Sesame Street."

I thought it was perhaps a combination of
1. showing the fictitious address of the show (on a sign that is reminiscent of NYC signs which is where the show originated??) and
2. to emphasize the pre-school level of this educational show.

So, what's the real answer??

Thanks for your help.

Michael Rogers
Nagano City, Japan

Erine81981

Reaction score
I have to say its their apartment address of the street but that's just me. I have watched so much that was always a question. So my parents said it was the street's address so i left it at that. Hope this helps.

ssetta

Reaction score
They only started using the "123" recently. For many years, the letters "CTW" were in that circle, back when it was Children's Television Workshop.

jediX

Reaction score
And since its Sesame Workshop now, CTW is out of place.

Jeffrey Gray

Reaction score
Yes, the "123" was just a replacement. It looks better than "SW," or nothing at all...

mjerguy2

Reaction score
Hey, you-all.

Thanks for the info!

I'll pass it on to the kids that asked me about it.

MIchael Rogers

Drtooth

Reaction score
mjerguy2 said:
Hello, all.

I'm a teacher at a Japanese junior high school in Nagano City, Japan. One of the English teachers here uses some Sesame Street materials in his classes.

Ahhh!!! Someone has impecable taste. Maybe he can help me spell Impecable...

Yeah... CTW became Sesaem workshp, so all refferences to CTW are removed from signs. Also, since SW purchased the Sesame Muppets, the copywrite "Henson" is also remvoed. If you can find any of the last merchandising of CTW and Henson copywrites, they might be worth something.

123, I'm guessing, they use as a replacement (instead of leaving the sign blank) is that the main appartment complex (where Bert, Ernie, Maria, Luis, Gordon, and Susan live in)....

Secret Squirrel may give you the specifics, if you want to hang around...