1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Forum Upgrade May 25
    We will be upgrading our forum software on Saturday May 25. This is a major upgrade that will add many new features and enhance security.

3. Radionomy ends May 31
    Radionomy has announced that all US stations, including Muppet Central Radio, will be removed on May 31.

4. You Can Be a Muppeteer
    Watch the Sesame Street Puppeteer Workshop with the amazing Sesame Street performers: Jennifer Barnhart, Matt Vogel and Marty Robinson.

Dismiss Notice
  5. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Too old for Sesame Street

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by mikealan, Dec 31, 2002.

1. mikebennidict

mikebennidict Well-Known Member

I'm in complete agreement with you.

2. CensoredAlso

CensoredAlso Well-Known Member

How true that is. :)

3. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

You know what I'm too old for? Acne. I blame my mother's genes for that.

4. wwfpooh

wwfpooh Well-Known Member

Indeed. "Target age" seems like something being forced onto one via society or peer pressure, because people are always saying to "act your age" or that "you're too old--or too young--for [such and such]", because as we know you can never be too old for things if you believe in them and if you truly enjoy them! The situation applies to Henson, Disney, and even to the WWF/E (for despite the fact that The Attitude Era is gone, people still respect the veteran talent from those days that are still around & some have even seen a bit of the ol' 'tude come back in the form of new talent having the same spark as some of the Attitude guys [to fans of today, Cena is the Hogan & Austin of his day, just as Mr. Kennedy is a modern-day Rock with his mic work and wrestling style]).

5. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets Well-Known Member

I that way I feel bout it! It's always what convenient. I say just like what you like and be who you are!

6. wwfpooh

Indeed. You should never be ashamed to be yourself. That truly is the bottom line and not just because I said so, either. XD

7. Redsonga

Redsonga Well-Known Member

The people that say there should be a target age for everything are the ones the stop having fun when they become 'adults' IMHO :p. You can be older and still love simple things I think :)...

8. wwfpooh

People like us prove that, whole-heartedly.

9. bazooka_beak

bazooka_beak Well-Known Member

Ah yes, "target ages." I think I can safely say I "miss the mark" most of the time ;D It's harder to be what you are when you're younger, but when you get to be my age, who really cares? I don't, at least. I like what I like.

10. wwfpooh

Don't we all? We like things as they are.

11. WaiterGrover

WaiterGrover Member

Honestly speaking? I blame the Purple Doofy One for much of the progression of children's programming; however, it's worth asking- wouldn't there eventually be the equivalent thereof, as more and more people with less ideals than greed seized upon the idea? It always seems that for every person willing to do things the "right" way, there's at least 3 more willing to exploit the premise for personal gain... To me, it's as if Cooney had the brilliant idea of selling letters and numbers in the same way as toothpaste or candy bars...
    and eventually Madison Ave. eroded the premise enough to require worrying about merchandising, for the survival of the show...
    Can you tell I'm not an outrageous fan of "Disney+Henson"?
    Ah well. The present continues to change w/ every passing second. Just consider me cranky but resigned, (but never too old for Sesame Street)...:super:

12. FrogInTheGlen

FrogInTheGlen Well-Known Member

I had a friend make fun of me for watching it still at age 6, so that kind of put me off SS. I had three younger siblings, though, so it was still on in my house all the time!

13. WAYMOND

WAYMOND Active Member

I've always been a fan of SS. However, I do think the earlier seasons are much more interesting than the more recent ones. For some reason, I just can't enjoy watching the Elmo segment on SS. My son loves Elmo, so we watch his repeatedly. I much prefer cookie monster, Bert and Ernie, Oscar and Big Bird!

14. Ilikemuppets

Yeah! He does connect with that age group he is in and very well I might add...

15. wwfpooh

Indeed. As people themselves have changed & so have their perceptions, so too have the characters on the Street.

16. Ilikemuppets

I see what you are saying. But I honestly am glad they are making some effort to put these clips out there. Plus they were put up on their site for bother kids and parents alike to both view.:cool:

Sorry, but the could only wanted the season 39 thread to stay on topic and I wasn't exactly sure of the appropriate place to posts this response.

17. The Shoe Fairy

The Shoe Fairy Well-Known Member

I watch an awful lot of childrens' television, but if it is written well it can be VERY amusing. I mean, some of the song parodies on SS are very clever indeed. I don't think you can be too old, because it was written to be enjoyed by all. On more than one occasion I have encountered some awkward and hilarious double entendres on "The Hoobs", and that puts it at a stage where a television show aimed at the 2-6 age group can get such a cult following. Heck, Spongebob was so well writen with sublte innuendo and in-jokes they put it on MTV. But then again Spongebob is not educational. I don't think you can be too old,I think some people are just to simple to understand the comedy of SS. Though it beats me why teen girls are so obessed with "the red menace".

18. wwfpooh

Because he's highly marketable.

19. Redsonga

Redsonga Well-Known Member

Because he's cute :coy:. That's reason enough to love any muppet boy *lol*:D

20. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

I'd rather have Prairie Dawn, if I had to choose from among the younger characters (or Big Bird). If I have to listen to Elmo's high-pitched squeal, I'd rather it be coming from Baby Sinclair.

Anyway, I don't feel I'm too old for SS ... I feel that SS (like other franchises) stopped catering to me. Kids may be powerful spenders ... but only because the adults give them money. We should get a little fun out of something too.