Too old for Sesame Street

muppet maniac

Reaction score
I love Sesame Street, and always will. The one thing that I hate and totally gets on my nerves and really irritates me are those idiots who keep on "analyzing" things too much (and saying bad rumors)---like last year when they said that "Sesame Street [back then] is inappropriate for kids" Pff---what do they know?

But to get back on this topic: There's a reason why I love it. And that same goes for all of us too. It's kind of hard for me to explain here, but listen to what Jim said about why kids love certain things in life in the "Henson's Place" documentary. And there's a reason why I appreciated Jim and everything he's done and stood for. Like Harry Belafonte said, "you'll never really understand Jim Henson, until you've understood how he has touched the lives of.." The people who think that the Muppets are "baby stuff" don't even understand this. Then again, they're just too stupid.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Actually, in some ways, it is society that is stupid by bringing up people to believe that puppets are for babies. As well, as much as it saddens me, I can understand where SW is coming from when they say that the older episodes seem meant for adults, considering how the original show had kids playing within a construction site. With most people in the U.S. living in houses--no matter how cheap--seeing kids living in construction sites has become a dangerous reminder of what problems the country still has.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I love Sesame Street, and always will. The one thing that I hate and totally gets on my nerves and really irritates me are those idiots who keep on "analyzing" things too much (and saying bad rumors)---like last year when they said that "Sesame Street [back then] is inappropriate for kids" Pff---what do they know?
Oh, do you mean the hack Child psychologists (once again, only the most vocal are hacks) that say something outrageous so they can get a book deal and appear on Oprah?

And there's a reason why I appreciated Jim and everything he's done and stood for. Like Harry Belafonte said, "you'll never really understand Jim Henson, until you've understood how he has touched the lives of.." The people who think that the Muppets are "baby stuff" don't even understand this. Then again, they're just too stupid.
Some people don't want to be touched. Some people want to be jaded, hateful and violent, and spread that to others. they think its cool. Lemme tell yah, if the world were run by people like Jim Henson, we wouldn't go around shooting others just because our leaders are the same jaded hateful idiots. The Muppets are just part of it, I feel. jim was a visionary Even projects produced after his passing with his spirit say the same things. things like Television is a powerful medium. This guy pretty much forsaw things like people making movies with camcorders... he probably saw something like Youtube in his mind. He wanted to communicate to spread joy and happiness through the hearts of millions/

But then again, people love to watch jaded hateful things like Big Brother and Jacktrash (can't put the real name here)... and they sit around complaining about why the world is in the state its in....

wwfpooh

Reaction score
It depends on the person & society within which said person resides.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Actually, in some ways, it is society that is stupid by bringing up people to believe that puppets are for babies. As well, as much as it saddens me, I can understand where SW is coming from when they say that the older episodes seem meant for adults, considering how the original show had kids playing within a construction site. With most people in the U.S. living in houses--no matter how cheap--seeing kids living in construction sites has become a dangerous reminder of what problems the country still has.
How do you know about SS showing kids playing near a construction site and where did you hear about all this other stuff you mention?

And I agree, that's know good.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
As well, as much as it saddens me, I can understand where SW is coming from when they say that the older episodes seem meant for adults, considering how the original show had kids playing within a construction site. With most people in the U.S. living in houses--no matter how cheap--seeing kids living in construction sites has become a dangerous reminder of what problems the country still has.
I understand, but honestly, I don't agree about hiding the footage of kids playing at a construction site. Like it or not, we still have problems in society and hiding them because it's not pleasant will not improve anything. There are kids who aren't able to hide from such a reality. So why should other kids get to?

Bear in the Big Blue House addressed the homeless issue in a tasteful, honest manner. It can be done. And I think should be in order to buld empathy in kids. :smile:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Whenever my mom hears SS clips playing on the computer, she asks me if I'm ready to give up the show.

I'm not really ashmaed to like SS still, my family understands (except my little brother, who claims I'm "immature" for doing so) and some people at school know. For example, twoards the end of 7th grade, we had elections for 8th grade student council president; this ensues a lot of posters and balloons being hanged in the hallways and pins and stickers being given out. One of the girls in my class was blowing up balloons (or doing something with them) and she told that she had an Ernie and Bert ballon in her closet and if she had remebered, she would've given it to me. Though slightly embarassing to me, it was a nice gesture and a sign of respect (which I don't get much of from my fellow classmates).

Skekayuk

Reaction score
When I was a kid my mother didn't really approve of Sesame Street, I don't know why (I don't think my mum remembers why either).
However, when I went to university, I got throughly into Muppet online forums, and prompted partly by that, and partly by a fondness for musical theatre, started watching the odd bit of Sesame Street, mainly for the Muppet spoofs of musical theatre songs (my favourite is Miss Ethel Mermaid's 'I Get A Kick Out Of U' - because it's such a near perfect parody of Ethel Merman, but there's much more to it than just that...)
The result was that the summer I was 21 (in the late 1990s), for various reasons (which I won't go into) I had time to spare at home, and decided to amuse myself by taping Sesame Street everyday. In the evneing I'd watch the tape on FF, stopping and watching properly everytime it got to a Muppet segment. If I found something I lreally liked (such as a good song parody) I'd keep that episode, otherwise I'd record over it. From that summer I still have about 20 to 30 episodes of Sesame Street that I kept. I found some lovely stuff, I mostly kept stuff because of early 1990s footage (the stuff done in the years immediately after Jim's death, this period found Jerry Nelson veyr much at the forfront of the team).

One thing that really stands out for me, watching this stuff is the wonderful multi-layered humour. Firstly there are the jokes the kids will get (as someone, possilby Christopher Finch) once so aptly put it "Placido Flamingo sounds very funny to the average four year old, who hasn't heard of the famous opera singer". Then there's the jokes for the parents' and carers. Like having parodies of well known songs and stories (such as Oklahoma! The Taming Of The Shoe, Fiddler On The Roof, Guys And Dolls, When I'm Calling You, Charming, The Telephone Of Brazil etc) and famous people, characters such as: Meryl Sheep, Polly Darton, Leonard Birdseed etc.
But there is a further layer, the jokes the creators of Sesame Street put in for themselves. As a Muppet fan its even more fun to pick up on these things. For example characters being named after performers (Herry Monster & Louisey - was one dynamic singing double-act). Sometimes its far more subtle, such as Zoe being named after the book Frannie And Zoe... And another subtle one occured in 'I Get A Kick Out Of U', yes that was a gret parody of Ethel Merman, but there was a subtle second parody going on there too... http://www.qsulis.demon.co.uk/Website_Louise_Gold/Sesame_Street_Review.htm

Best Wishes
Emma

Drtooth

Reaction score
I understand, but honestly, I don't agree about hiding the footage of kids playing at a construction site. Like it or not, we still have problems in society and hiding them because it's not pleasant will not improve anything. There are kids who aren't able to hide from such a reality. So why should other kids get to?

Bear in the Big Blue House addressed the homeless issue in a tasteful, honest manner. It can be done. And I think should be in order to buld empathy in kids. :smile:
I know they unfortunately had to play to the well to do, raise my kids through other's methods, Yuppie set in recent years. I mean, no wonder why SS doesn't have the dark and dusty gritty city street feel anymore. There Neighborhood has been gentrified (that's the word, right?). Look at a normal city street... Starbucks and snotty restauraunts, and yuppies all over the place. Poor people live in (ironically) the suburbs, or smaller places outside of the busy street apartments.

The only difference between real people who live in the city and Sesame Street is that when they clean that street up, the SS residents were able to afford to live there.
:rolleyes:

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I know they unfortunately had to play to the well to do, raise my kids through other's methods, Yuppie set in recent years. I mean, no wonder why SS doesn't have the dark and dusty gritty city street feel anymore. There Neighborhood has been gentrified (that's the word, right?). Look at a normal city street... Starbucks and snotty restauraunts, and yuppies all over the place. Poor people live in (ironically) the suburbs, or smaller places outside of the busy street apartments.

The only difference between real people who live in the city and Sesame Street is that when they clean that street up, the SS residents were able to afford to live there.
:rolleyes:

Stop sounding so silly.

And as far as I'm concerned SS always looked well kept.

They must do that to provide a possitive image to its audience.