Too all the people Undercharging for Thier work

BorkBork

Reaction score
"It's the amateurs that are making it tough for the professionals!"

Could't have said it better myself. Now i haven't started any buziness with puppets yet, but i will very soon. However you may or may not know that i've been working with music-production for several years. Lately i've been having the same problem there. I used to be able to charge very high fees for a production back in 1999-2001. But now everyone has gotten so cheap. Some labels ask me to do a production for nothing but promise me high royalties. But then they don't even pay out the royalties and i end up having done a job for free.
I am actually thinking of quitting the musicbuziness and moving over to puppetry, but if this is the case i don't know what else to do.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
"It's the amateurs that are making it tough for the professionals!"

Could't have said it better myself.
Yeah, personally, I consider myself an amateur puppet builder, which is why I hesitate on doing any actual business with it. I've had people tell me I do some really nice work with the puppets I build, but I'm still not up on everything. I don't sell any because my work's not yet up to my own personal standard, and I don't want to draw anything away from people who make a living at this and who do fantastic work.

At the same time, because I build my own puppets, I understand exactly how much it costs, and how much time it takes to build one. It's a shame people expect to go so cheap with it. I'm hoping to be able to build to support my own performance work, and maybe start a business in that, but even performing puppets seems to get underpaid.