Tom and Jerry on DVD

johnpeters999

Reaction score
I wish to ask if anyone has brought Tom and Jerry on dvd.

I would like to find a copy of the uncut versions. I will never understand why there have to make cuts to this great classic show.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
I have the three volumes of the "Spotlight" collection and plan on getting the "Chuck Jones" collection sometime in the furture.

As for it being uncut, the spotlight collection are both uncut and cut. What I mean is that when volume one hit the shevels originally they were cut, especially the scenes with "Mammy Two Shoes and where the chracters are seen in "blackface". Many many fans were unhappy about this and voice their disappointment to Warner Bros. Volume two has the "redubbed" voice of Mammy, which fans were still unhappy about.

The good news is though that since fans voiced their opinion, Warner Bros now sells the sets uncut, so if you're buying a new copy from a retail store like Target. It should be an uncut verison and if it isn't, the REALLY good news about that is that Warner Home Video will replace the copies free of charge.

I understand editing or "cutting" certain scenes when they air on TV, but it's a total crime to edited them out for mature adult collectors whom pay good money for them.

Hope this helps.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Does this also apply to the UK?
I can't say for sure if it's the same in the UK? You should get in touch with Warner Home Video for the answers to that question. I'm fairly sure it does though, :wink:.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have the three volumes of the "Spotlight" collection and plan on getting the "Chuck Jones" collection sometime in the furture.

As for it being uncut, the spotlight collection are both uncut and cut. What I mean is that when volume one hit the shevels originally they were cut, especially the scenes with "Mammy Two Shoes and where the chracters are seen in "blackface". Many many fans were unhappy about this and voice their disappointment to Warner Bros. Volume two has the "redubbed" voice of Mammy, which fans were still unhappy about.

The good news is though that since fans voiced their opinion, Warner Bros now sells the sets uncut, so if you're buying a new copy from a retail store like Target. It should be an uncut verison and if it isn't, the REALLY good news about that is that Warner Home Video will replace the copies free of charge.
So, if I were to buy one right away, it would be the original uncut version, correct? Maybe it's not so bad I didn't pick them up yet.

Now, i've said it before... these are very unfortunate. They are signs of unfortunate times, and I don't even have the guts to watch "Coal Black and De Sebben Dwarves" yet... but to pretend these things never happened are WORSE than the fact they happened in the first place. It would be like reprinting Mark Twain books with the character "Fine Upstanding African American in an Unfortunate Situation that Thankfully No Longer Applies Jim." Now, for broadcast, I unfortunately have to agree with censorship. But adult collectors want to see things the way the originally were. I don't even like when they change closing logos.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
So, if I were to buy one right away, it would be the original uncut version, correct? Maybe it's not so bad I didn't pick them up yet.
Yes they should be, I'm 99.9% sure that it will be if you buy a brand new copy from a retail outlet like Target. Again though, if it isn't Warner Home video will replace it free of change, you'll just have to look on the net for the 1-800 number like I did.

See in my case I bought volume 1 at Target for about 13 bucks, and it was uncut, which I'm happy about. However trying to save a few bucks I went and bought a used copy of volume 2 and it was the censored verison (redubbed voice over for Mammy Two Shoes that was made to make the character more "presentable" on TV), which I wasn't so happy about,:mad:. Thankfully I still got Warner Home video to replace it so it would be the unedited verison, so all is right with me.

I think one way to tell with volume one is the packaging of the DVD set. If it's that see though package (like on Hanna Barbera Flintstones seasons set or whatnot), it's pretty the edited or censored verison. If it's a soild black packaging, than I'm guessing it's a safe bet it's the unedited verison.

Hope I helped in some way.