TMNT the new movie Anyone interested

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
Just so everyone knows, last Tuesday, the complete fourth season of the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles animated series was released in a five-disc set, with a total of forty episodes. Up until now, there have been several volumes of the show (which makes up the first three seasons), but from this point on there will only be season sets. We still have six to go after this.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
So I just got back from seeing it. And boy do I have some thoughts.

-The highlight of the movie was a certain scene between Leo and Raph. If you've seen the trailers or TV spots, you probably know what scene I'm referring to. I won't spoil it for those who don't. It was a fantastically animated scene, and possibly the best scene of any of the four Turtles movie thus far.

-The humor really falls flat. The funniest scene takes place near the beginning with Michaelangelo in, of all things, a turtle costume. But beyond that... nothin'. Fortunately, the action all but made up for it.

-I liked most of the acting. I hate to say it, but I had a real problem with Mako as Splinter. His voice was much too rough and not nearly as comforting as I would have liked. When the inevitable sequel happens, I'll be happy to hear a replacement. I miss Mako a ton, and it hurts to say it, but that's how I feel.

-Meanwhile, all four turtles were really top-notch. I have nothing but praise for the voice actors. And I'm really glad that they went with all unknowns.

-Hate, hate, hate the story. I understand that they didn't want to go with Shredder again (at least in this movie), but why just feature a bunch of dumb monsters that don't provide any real personal challenge for the Turtles? Krang would have done.

-No offense, but why is April all Lara Croft-ified now? What happened to my favorite fictional reporter?

-Casey Jones is still the man.

-The animation was really wonderful. The character designs were all really great, especially for the monsters. While I would have preferred that they weren't in the movie, they really were cool looking. But why does Splinter look like Chester Cheetah? This just isn't Splinter's movie.

-I was happy to see lots of inside nods that die-hard Turtles fans would understand. The mask that Mikey wears early on, for example, is almost an exact replica of the turtle masks that they made around 1990.

Much of this seems negative, but I really did enjoy the bulk of the flick. Hopefully, the things that I didn't like can be fixed when a sequel comes along.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I don't know if I'll see it, I'm pretty into the old school Turtles. The first movie was brilliant, both for kids and adults.

The trailer looked fine though, some of it was kinda nice. I might rent the movie when it comes on DVD. (Though I didn't like hearing one of the Turtles call the other a doofus, even in kidding. I don't like cheap laughs.)

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
The "it looked like your mom" joke is among the worst in the movie.

muppetwriter

Reaction score
I saw it today and it was really fun to watch! I walked out of that theater feeling like it was 1993 all over again!:smile:

It's really not that bad for an animated comic book film. If it had been released straight to DVD, I would've been really disappointed, because seeing it in theaters reminded me so much of when I saw the third live-action film in theaters when I was seven.

The story seemed fine to me, very much like something straight from the comic book itself. I agree that Shredder should've been involved, but Karai (the female Foot Clan leader you saw in the film) did hint that he might return. So let's hope they make a sequel, and we can see a CGI Shredder. But I love the whole monsters from another dimension plot and everything else that surrounded that.

I want that soundtrack to the film. All of the songs played in the background during the action sequences was off the chain, including that one called "Shell Shock" that was played during the end credits.:smile:

I agree that the CGI animation fit perfectly for this film (with all due respect to Jim Henson, puppet suits and animatronic helmets get old after a while), mostly because half of the speedy moves performed by the characters would've been physically impossible for live actors. Every time I ask someone what was their favorite scene in the film, it was the fight sequence between Leo and Raph, which I have to agree on. The CGI really proved its worth during that scene, with the rain and the awesome kicks and punches by the two Ninja Turtles.

Like Speed Tracer said, Casey Jones is still the man, and Chris Evans (Johnny Storm from Fantastic Four) made me appreciate the character more than I already had, just as he did for The Human Torch. The man is just so darn good at bringing these characters to life. Sarah Michelle Gellar even did a good job as April, who I don't really mind for not being a news reporter in the film (because if anyone has read the comics, you'll see in later issues that she became a ninja just like the TMNT and even had her own comic based off that storyline).

They really captured the essence of the TMNT and Splinter well in this film. I will really miss Mako after seeing the movie, because he really made me believe he was Splinter from his performance. But whoever voiced him in the scenes that were recorded after his death sounds like a great replacement (I thought it was Mako in every scene), and I can't wait to hear him in the new season of "Avatar: The Last Airbender". And the voices of the Turtles were wonderful as well. James Arnold Taylor (the voice of Leonardo) is becoming my new favorite voice actor.

I seriously want to see this again. But, for now, I'm going to settle on playing the video game to recapture all of the great moments in the film.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
Tonight, for the first time in ages, I watched the original 1990 film. When the scene at the campfire ended, I found myself in tears. Nobody else will ever be a better Splinter than Kevin Clash.

"I am proud of you, my sons. Tonight you have learned the final and greatest truth of the Ninja: that ultimate mastering comes not from the body, but from the mind. Together, there is nothing your four minds cannot accomplish. Help each other, draw upon one another, and always remember the power that binds you. The same is what brought me here tonight, that which I gladly return with my final words: I love you all, my sons."

Not ever.

muppetwriter

Reaction score
Speed Tracer said:
Tonight, for the first time in ages, I watched the original 1990 film. When the scene at the campfire ended, I found myself in tears. Nobody else will ever be a better Splinter than Kevin Clash.

"I am proud of you, my sons. Tonight you have learned the final and greatest truth of the Ninja: that ultimate mastering comes not from the body, but from the mind. Together, there is nothing your four minds cannot accomplish. Help each other, draw upon one another, and always remember the power that binds you. The same is what brought me here tonight, that which I gladly return with my final words: I love you all, my sons."

Not ever.
From Elmo to Clifford, Kevin Clash will always be one of the most marvelous puppeteers ever.:smile: