Threadless Muppet T-Shirt Design Challenge

Drtooth

Reaction score
Honestly? No, I won't be buying the design and not for the reason you might think. I don't wear white shirts. Nobody I know wears white shirts! I'm a confirmed bachelor who doesn't have the time to fuss with bleach. Also, as white as my teeth are and slender as I am, white shirts tend to be unflattering on anyone other than a supermodel. :flirt:
Ugh! Tell me about it. You know how many sweet shirts I refused to buy because they were white? Unflattering isn't the only thing... they're the biggest pain in the neck to keep clean. Light colors I have trouble with, the stains come out usually in several washes... but I tell you, years ago, I ruined a perfectly good Mr. Potatohead butt kisser Toy Story (when the first one came out) shirt (the print slowly faded)... and completely destroyed a "Weird Al" bad Hair Day shirt when I accidentally got soda on it ONE TIME! Since then, I vowed never to get another white shirt no matter who's on it. And guess what people keep giving me as gifts?

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I liked frogboy's, though there a lot of other ones that fit my personality better. There were at least a dozen I'd buy in a heartbeat, his included.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Threadless might actually make other shirts *including mine*, but should I allow them exclusive printing rights if I don't receive compensation or should I offer it online for free/cost of personal printing? I'd really like to let people have a file they could print at home, but that might not be possible if they make it into a shirt. I don't want to get hosed twice, yet it sure would be nice for this to be an officially authorized product. Thoughts?

Press the LIKE button if you think that Threadless should get the shirt no matter what.
And/or reply with any thoughts you have about this. I have PDFs ready to launch. I just don't want to jinx the shirt possibilities. I've contacted Threadless. Waiting on them...

Redsonga

Reaction score
I really don't know enough about artists rights with them to vote ether way. The trouble is when they make a shirt it's only for a short time on that site I always understood..I could be wrong but does that mean even after it goes out of print they own it or do the rights to it being 'offical' get passed onto offical sites to ? o.o

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I really don't know enough about artists rights with them to vote ether way. The trouble is when they make a shirt it's only for a short time on that site I always understood..I could be wrong but does that mean even after it goes out of print they own it or do the rights to it being 'offical' get passed onto offical sites to ? o.o
The official contest selection surrenders all rights, but they've been handsomely compensated with $2,500 cash and another $800 or more in prizes and collectibles. I'm not sure how this would work if they were to print out the other selections if they weren't at least minimally compensated. I can't make money from it on my own, but I'm wondering if they should turn a profit on it if they haven't offered me anything in return. It would be great to have this be a licensed product. On the other hand it would be great to get this file to fans for free! :sigh: <---new boober sigh smiley (or can you call a boober emoticon a smiley?)

outerelf

Reaction score
Threadless might actually make other shirts *including mine*, but should I allow them exclusive printing rights if I don't receive compensation or should I offer it online for free/cost of personal printing? I'd really like to let people have a file they could print at home, but that might not be possible if they make it into a shirt. I don't want to get hosed twice, yet it sure would be nice for this to be an officially authorized product. Thoughts?

Press the LIKE button if you think that Threadless should get the shirt no matter what.
And/or reply with any thoughts you have about this. I have PDFs ready to launch. I just don't want to jinx the shirt possibilities. I've contacted Threadless. Waiting on them...
I would say wait to see if you'd get any compensation for this. You put your creative time and effort into it, and you should be compensated properly. If you do get your proper compensation, then I'd say go ahead, and if not... Well, then I would suggest putting out those PDFs! :laugh:

TimmyMonsterIL

Reaction score
I'm not sure how this would work if they were to print out the other selections if they weren't at least minimally compensated.
I would think standard Threadless printing rules apply if they choose your selection. I have looked into designing for them and I believe the basic agreement is $2000 cash and a $500 Threadless gift certificate if your design is chosen to be put into print. You also get $500 if the shirt is popular enough to sell out and then get reprinted. You're also up for Threadless members vote of bestee of the month and should you win that, bestee of the year, which both come with substantial payouts.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
That all sounds like I should wait and hear from them. But would they really give that kind of money to 10-20 people? There are many I'd like to see made into shirts! The piano composition is definitely one I would wear, but it somehow dropped off the main page. That was some beautiful Muppety artwork! :flirt:

While waiting, I mocked up a "hot-topic-looking" version of the mosaic to share with a friend of mine. It's kind of funny and got my angsty out. :grr: I'll post a thumbnail of it once it's done. Heck, I'd let Threadless take that one if they wanted something different-looking than the green album.

I'll wait until they respond to my email.

TimmyMonsterIL

Reaction score
But would they really give that kind of money to 10-20 people?
Every Monday morning at 10 am central time, Threadless puts upwards of 7 new shirts up for sale on their website. Thats every week, and each one of the people responsible for designing those shirts is $2,000 richer. Each Thursday, at the same time of day, the release at least 5 or more reprinted shirts, and those designers are $500 richer. So yes they would give that kind of money to multiple people! They may do an entire Muppet release, which I would applaud! I would applaud, my wallet would scream and cry like a Muppaphone... :smile:

Reevz1977

Reaction score
Wait...have I missed something? Did Frogboy not win?? I've just been on the Muppet music website and it's got another teeshirt on there. The surely can't be the winning teeshirt? ? ! ! ? ? No offence to the person behind it but...c'mon, seriously?