This thread is brought to you by the number 40

SillyJoeBob

Reaction score
A long time ago, I remember seeing a segment on Sesame Street where they counted 40 dots (apparently it seems as though quite a few of you remember this), yet I don't remember any episode being "brought to you by" any number further than 20. However, I am aware that this isn't the only "40-sponsored" segment that there is ("40 Blocks From My Home" is another one). Was there any particular episode sponsored by this number, or were these segments just unreasonably used in various episodes? Well, I look forward to hearing what the answer to this is.

SillyJoeBob

little jerry

Reaction score
SillyJoeBob

May i ask how you felt about the 40 dots? The song is called forty and jeff moss wrote it and jeff may have also performed it himself. Jeff has written some crazy songs over the years like fat cat as well as others.

SillyJoeBob

Reaction score
"40 Dots"

little jerry said:
May i ask how you felt about the 40 dots? The song is called forty and jeff moss wrote it and jeff may have also performed it himself. Jeff has written some crazy songs over the years like fat cat as well as others.
I thought that this segment was really freaky back when I saw it (I was about maybe 3 or 4 when I did). I don't think I could stand how long the guy said "40", which I think was about a minute long (yeeesh!) Plus, the background of it seemed a bit ominous to me at the time because it was nothing but a blue background with yellow dots. If Jeff has written some crazy songs over the years, this is one of his craziest! How could he (or whoever performed it) stand to say "40" for so long?! May I ask you as well how you felt about the 40 dots? Thanks!

SillyJoe Bob

little jerry

Reaction score
How I felt

I didn't acutally mind the song untill dot 39 when the screan got all bluryand you could not really see the dots. They did some shivering ebfore the 40th dot appeard. The thing was the person did not just say 40 he acutally gave a very very loud shout of 40. I rember i shook a little afterwards thinking boy am I glad thats over with. I also rember after hearing that I would watch it without listning to the song. There was one time when i bravely listend to the song but I stopped lsoitning right after 10. The guy's voice keeps going higher and higher as each dot apears. Well in respect though there has never been another dot seqence quite like it. Heres another way to look at it the orchestra up untill dot 39 has helped him sing the song but the orchestra falls silent and he keeps saying 39 over and over maybey becuase he might be getting fustrated that the orchestra won't help him so in the end you might say the reaosn why he shots 40 is like a way of saying i've ahd it .

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
What about the cartoon with forty lemmings jumping off a cliff to a barbershop song?

little jerry

Reaction score
I also remeber

starlight star bright with 40 stars and 40 diffrent cartoknish pigs apearing in rows sorta like 40 dots but the pigs came out at you like a 3d kind of film

SillyJoeBob

Reaction score
How come there's nothing for numbers 21 through 39?

little jerry said:
starlight star bright with 40 stars and 40 diffrent cartoknish pigs apearing in rows sorta like 40 dots but the pigs came out at you like a 3d kind of film
So, I guess there was an episode(s) sponsored by this number. THEN FOR CRYIN' OUT LOUD, WHY AIN'T THERE ANYTHING FOR NUMBERS 21 THROUGH 39?! (or is there?) I look forward to hearing your answers to this mind-boggling question of eternity.

SillyJoeBob

SillyJoeBob

Reaction score
You actually REMEMBER that?! (to Boober_Gorg)

Boober_Gorg said:
What about the cartoon with forty lemmings jumping off a cliff to a barbershop song?
WHOA! I remember that one, too - though it is a faint memory!

SillyJoeBob

SillyJoeBob

Reaction score
Do you remember how long the guy shouts "40"?

I'd be interested to know how long Jeff Moss (or whoever it was) shouted "40" for. I look forward to hearing your answers to this!

SillyJoeBob

Jeffrey Gray

Reaction score
So, I guess there was an episode(s) sponsored by this number. THEN FOR CRYIN' OUT LOUD, WHY AIN'T THERE ANYTHING FOR NUMBERS 21 THROUGH 39?!
Actually, there were no episodes sponsored by 40. It's just that, besides number-specific segments, the aforementioned segments were generic counting segments used in episodes no matter what the sponsor. For the first season, these sort of segments went from 1-10; from 1970 to maybe 1984, they went from 1-20; from 1984 or so, on, they went from 1-40.