This thread is brought to you by the number 40

SillyJoeBob

Reaction score
to Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray said:
Actually, there were no episodes sponsored by 40. It's just that, besides number-specific segments, the aforementioned segments were generic counting segments used in episodes no matter what the sponsor. For the first season, these sort of segments went from 1-10; from 1970 to maybe 1984, they went from 1-20; from 1984 or so, on, they went from 1-40.
OHHHHH... That makes sense.

SillyJoeBob

Erine81981

Reaction score
Of this year of Sesame Street they did a count by 5's and went to 100 pretty cool for them to do that. It was a type of fildders and dancing puppets kind of in a sort of bog country.

SillyJoeBob

Reaction score
Somewhere in the late '80s or early '90s...

Erine81981 said:
Of this year of Sesame Street they did a count by 5's and went to 100 pretty cool for them to do that. It was a type of fildders and dancing puppets kind of in a sort of bog country.
Somewhere in the late '80s or early '90s, they did a segment where the Count counted 54 lambs, so that doesn't seem very unusual.

SillyJoeBob

Splurge

Reaction score
Erine81981 said:
They also did something similar where Ernie shows Bert a frog who can count up to 100 by 10's. Also, there was a bit where Marty (using an Austin Powers voice) instructed the viewers to count to 16 by 2's.

SillyJoeBob

Reaction score
Are these new?!

Splurge said:
They also did something similar where Ernie shows Bert a frog who can count up to 100 by 10's. Also, there was a bit where Marty (using an Austin Powers voice) instructed the viewers to count to 16 by 2's.
I don't think I've ever seen either of the segments you just mentioned.

SillyJoeBob

BeckyDR

Reaction score
SillyJoeBob said:
I'd be interested to know how long Jeff Moss (or whoever it was) shouted "40" for. I look forward to hearing your answers to this!

SillyJoeBob
I don't know how long he shouted 40, but I know I always said it long enough to make my school bus driver's hair stand on end lol :smile:

pollick529

Reaction score
I remember a sketch where they counted forty bears going of a cliff one by one. It looked kinda boring though. :sympathy:

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah. I remember a few 40 counts on the show, particularly the cartoon where a boy counted all the stars. He stopped at 40 then said 'and many more.' I believe it was around the 20th anniversary of the show since Bill Cosby mentioned that in the TV special.