This thread is brought to you by the letter L!

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
L is for ladder

The one that I remember the most (and the longest) was an animated clip of a little guy using a ladder to climb to the top of a capital L. "A ladder is useful for climbing up to a high place." He climbs to the top, but then another guy comes in and swipes the ladder from him, leaving him stranded. Sadly, he announces "A ladder is also useful for getting DOWN from a high place!" I really felt bad for him, since he looked so sad up there.

Maybe he should've tried sliding down like it was a fireman's pole.

Xerus

Reaction score
I liked the Muppet one where a purple AM Muppet in a leather jacket and a blonde mohawk wakes up from his bed, looks out the window, and sees a funky Letter L dancing on his lawn at night singing, "Luh, Luh, Luh!" The guy starts singing, "Rebel L!" A spoof of the song, Rebel Yell.

Ziffel

Reaction score
And getting back to the classic "La La La" song with Ernie and Bert, today I was reading something else and came across the word, "lilting". The context was how birds in the morning chirp and sing with lilting melodies. Well I thought of the Ernie and Bert L song thinking, Ah I bet that's the word Ernie uses when he says, "Uh no Bert I was thinking more of words that are more lilting and lovely, like la la la la laughter." As a kid I never knew what word Ernie said there (but understood precisely what he meant due to the context) and until today I don't think I knew the exact word he used either! Lilting is a word I really haven't ever come across in print or conversation. But it's a good one.
As a kid I thought maybe Ernie was saying something like, "silking", heh heh. But since this was an L song it's all the more appropriate that they used all these L adjectives too.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
Yeah he did. I remember that deep and distinct voice pretty well. Another similar cartoon letter skit that also sounded like James Earl Jones was where the two boys were wondering what a letter was and the man says, "It's the letter a". They say, "The what?" And he says, "It's the letter a." They say, "Ohhhh." He says, "Want to hear a story about the letter a, boys?" They say, "Do we have any choice?" And he says, "No." And then the story starts.
That segment actually involved the letter D, not A. Plus, it was Gary Owens who supplied the voice saying "It's the letter D".

crackmaster

Reaction score
That segment actually involved the letter D, not A. Plus, it was Gary Owens who supplied the voice saying "It's the letter D".
You got that right! Gary Owens is my LEGEND! Plus, looking at the dialogue again for the first time in years, it feels like proto Space Ghost Coast to Coast humor. I can picture it...

Space Ghost: "Want to hear a story about the letter D, boys?"
Zorak: "Do we have any choice?"
Space Ghost: "...No."