This thread is brought to you by the letter L!

mikealan

Reaction score
OK, MC fans, the letter of the thread is "L". I remember seeing some of the L segments on 123 SS one day ago and I remember seeing most L segments in December 2002.

1) Ernie and Bert's La La La song-this was a classic! I saw that twice one day ago! It was on #3794 and #3164 which two episodes sponsored by the letter L. ("La la la LINOLEUM!")

2) An animated segment/song about the letter L with the lizard, a leopard, the lightbulb, a ladder, etc. Remember this one when I watched that on #3794!

3) A live-action film where kids taught us about the letter L that featured words like "look", "lights", "ladybug" and "lemonade"

4) L-Laugh (a cartoon)

5) Gina taughts Big Bird, Zoe and Baby Bear about the letter L while Rosita had to do guitar practice with Luis

6) The limerick spot-L-Lion (where a lion looks out the window)

7) If You've Lost Your L (an animated classic! It was where a girl lost her L, so the fairy sings about looking for it, and at the end, the girl found the L on her lap and lost it again. You can read the lyrics of it on the SS Lyric Archive!)

8) The sand-like animation with banjo music off-screen of the letter L

9) L-Large/L-Little (an animated skit with a large man and a small man)

10) L-Loud (an animated segment that kinda freaked me out, 'cause of the man in the word-balloon making the loudest honk of the horn)

I, of course, remembered other L segments during my life like...

The L Story with the lion chasing a leopard (never saw it, but I heard it on audio)
L-Light (a cartoon)
Sand-like animation: L-Lion
The noo-nee-noo typewriter: l-lion
Torendo "L" Song
Animated segment (similar to the E and R ones) where lines form the capital and small L

And, my mom's favorite! the L-Lake segment!!
It was where a man shouts "L...lake!" Then he sees a huge lake and says "What a lovely-looking lake!" So he takes off his jacket and jumps into the lake and calls "L!!!!!!"

Got any other "L" memories?

Ziffel

Reaction score
mikealan said:
OK, MC fans, the letter of the thread is "L".

1) Ernie and Bert's La La La song-this was a classic! I saw that twice one day ago! It was on #3794 and #3164 which two episodes sponsored by the letter L. ("La la la LINOLEUM!")

It was where a man shouts "L...lake!" Then he sees a huge lake and says "What a lovely-looking lake!" So he takes off his jacket and jumps into the lake and calls "L!!!!!!"
The classic favorite L song by Ernie and Bert definitely hits a home run out of the park in my book (or should I say stadium) too. La La La La Lump in my oatmeal!
On the lake one I was always confused at the end because it sounded to me like the guy was shouting L in a distressed way but I couldn't see what the problem was. After all, he was very eager to jump in it and what harm could a stationary lake do to him? And it couldn't be that the guy couldn't swim because that wouldn't have made any sense for him to eagerly go in it for a swim. But reading your post, I see that maybe he was not in distress after all, but was just shouting "LLLLL" from a distance as he swam away. Anyone else recall this one?

BEAR

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
The classic favorite L song by Ernie and Bert definitely hits a home run out of the park in my book (or should I say stadium) too. La La La La Lump in my oatmeal!
On the lake one I was always confused at the end because it sounded to me like the guy was shouting L in a distressed way but I couldn't see what the problem was. After all, he was very eager to jump in it and what harm could a stationary lake do to him? And it couldn't be that the guy couldn't swim because that wouldn't have made any sense for him to eagerly go in it for a swim. But reading your post, I see that maybe he was not in distress after all, but was just shouting "LLLLL" from a distance as he swam away. Anyone else recall this one?
Ah yes! "La La La," one of my all-time favorite Bert and Ernie songs.

Oh Bert and all his boring L words. "Oh, Ernie! I got a great L word. This is a beauty...La la la..LINOLIUM!!!" He was so proud of that one too.

mikealan

Reaction score
Here are a couple more that were used on Unpaved #198:

1) When the carpenter said the word "Lunchbox", a red lunchbox appeared in a word-bubble. After the man opens the lunchbox, a funny-looking green clown popped out like a jack-in-the-box!

2) The pencil-drawn short man said the word "lips" as a pair of mouth lips appear in the word-bubble, which they gave him a big kiss before he went "Blecch!!"

minor muppetz

Reaction score
La, La, La

La la la is a very good song that often gets stuck in my head. It is a good thing they haven't remade that song (yet).

mikebennidict

Reaction score
mikealan said:
OK, MC fans, the letter of the thread is "L". I remember seeing some of the L segments on 123 SS one day ago and I remember seeing most L segments in December 2002.

2) An animated segment/song about the letter L with the lizard, a leopard, the lightbulb, a ladder, etc. Remember this one when I watched that on #3794!

3) A live-action film where kids taught us about the letter L that featured words like "look", "lights", "ladybug" and "lemonade"

4) L-Laugh (a cartoon)

5) Gina taughts Big Bird, Zoe and Baby Bear about the letter L while Rosita had to do guitar practice with Luis

6) The limerick spot-L-Lion (where a lion looks out the window)

7) If You've Lost Your L (an animated classic! It was where a girl lost her L, so the fairy sings about looking for it, and at the end, the girl found the L on her lap and lost it again. You can read the lyrics of it on the SS Lyric Archive!)

8) The sand-like animation with banjo music off-screen of the letter L

9) L-Large/L-Little (an animated skit with a large man and a small man)

10) L-Loud (an animated segment that kinda freaked me out, 'cause of the man in the word-balloon making the loudest honk of the horn)

I, of course, remembered other L segments during my life like...

The L Story with the lion chasing a leopard (never saw it, but I heard it on audio)
L-Light (a cartoon)
Sand-like animation: L-Lion
The noo-nee-noo typewriter: l-lion
Torendo "L" Song
Animated segment (similar to the E and R ones) where lines form the capital and small L

Got any other "L" memories?
that 9th one mentioned, while i don't recall seeing it till the 80s, it looked like it was made earlier on and maybe it was.

ssetta

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
La la la is a very good song that often gets stuck in my head. It is a good thing they haven't remade that song (yet).
They actually DID do a remake of the video in Season 30, but they kept the audio the same.

Ziffel

Reaction score
That's true, I remember seeing the different video of the L song about that time. Also saw different video of either (or both) the "Everybody Eats" or "Everybody Sleeps" songs with the same audio.
Another L one I remember was a lion chasing a leopard (animated) and the lion ends up falling (I think he ran off a cliff) and then the leopard laughs (another l word). I think this was one of those cartoon storytellers where it then goes back to an adult cartoon talking to two cartoon boys. They would always ask, "Do you know what the moral of the story is". I think in this one a boy said something like, "Never leap a (lounging?) leopard." This might have also been the same one where the boys were asked what they thought of the story and one of them says, "Provocative." Pretty big word for the kiddies watching! But hey, that's how you learn. :smile:

Ziffel

Reaction score
Yeah he did. I remember that deep and distinct voice pretty well. Another similar cartoon letter skit that also sounded like James Earl Jones was where the two boys were wondering what a letter was and the man says, "It's the letter a". They say, "The what?" And he says, "It's the letter a." They say, "Ohhhh." He says, "Want to hear a story about the letter a, boys?" They say, "Do we have any choice?" And he says, "No." And then the story starts.