The "You know what?" thread

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I’m still surprised that they did not do any celebrity casting for the original Space Jam, according to Joe Alaskey when he had to audition over 10 times, one of the producers told him that anyone could do Bugs Bunny even Charlie Sheen could.

So this coming from Warner Brothers after what happen with Scoob doesn’t surprise me.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The Simpson’s episode “Krusty Gets Busted” has the line “if cartoons were meant for adults, they’d put them on in prime time”, which is funny because The Simpson’s was in prime time, but now I’m thinking more about it.

At the time, while there had been prime time animated shows in the 1960s, there hadn’t really been any prime time animated shows in the 1970s or 1980s (there was Wait ‘till Your Father Gets Home in the ‘70s… were the ‘80s episodes of The Jetsons broadcast in prime time?), so The Simpson’s was the first new prime time series in years, and possibly the first one aimed more strictly to teens and adults (though a lot of the early merchandise was kid-friendly, even if some t-shirts got banned from Schools).

Seemed like a big deal in 1990, then the other networks tried their hands at prime time animated sitcoms but we didn’t really get any really successful prime time animation series until the late-1990s and now it is more commonplace for networks to have prime time animated shows. I almost want to add this to “hilarious in hindsight” at TV Tropes.

Additionally, I had thought it was odd that the networks did not want to broadcast The Muppet Show in prime time because they thought puppets were for kids. I’d been thinking “but what about The Flintstones, The Bullwinkle Show, and other prime time animated shows? Why weren’t those a hard sell (I’d like to know if The Flintstones was a hard sell for prime time)?” It seems like adult puppet shows don’t fare as well as adult animation. But then of course I was thinking about this today, how those shows came out in the early 1960s and then prime time animation had been more rare and limited to specials (and it seems the general public started to think of animation as being “for kids” in the 1960s), so maybe it does make sense now.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Since the movie turned 25 today, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: people can say Dumbo or the Lion King have the saddest Disney moments, but this will top as number 1 for me:

Disney really knew how to start this scene off as “Wow, that was rude” with one of Frollo’s guards throwing a tomato at him, but then it quickly turned into “what are you all doing to him?!” when the ropes came in. I still remember as a kid immediately taking the tape out of my VCR after this scene finished because I just didn’t want to continue with the rest of the movie. (I didn’t see the full thing till I was 15 and was pleasantly impressed with how dark and intense it was; it since became my favorite Disney movie).

Also looking back at this scene, the sad thing is I had no idea I’d face similar situations later on down the road when I pretty much became an easy target of bullying. If anything I was in a pretty similar situation to Quasi when I attended a local summer camp when I was 12 years old during the summer of ‘05 and a group of kids I was paired with (whom I did not get along with at all) decided it would be funny to push me into a waterfall and get me soaked when we were on the bumper boats at a local ice cream shop (surprise, on the very last day; and of course, my absolute douchebag counselor did nothing about it but shrug it off). I never went back there since. It was a horrible day having to come home completely soaking wet.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Interesting to see this going around on Twitter right now, because this just happened to me:

A former friend/colleague of mine who unfriended and blocked me years ago decided to temporarily unblock me to tell me, among other things, that I'm racist against Italians because I insulted her Italian heritage, and I have absolutely no clue what she's even talking about, plus she never bothered to point out what I even said or did that she perceived to be me insulting her Italian heritage - and I can't even further inquire for clarification, because she immediately blocked me again right after DMing to tell me off.

So, obviously, her actions and behavior clearly indicates that she cared nothing for trying to preserve a friendship, so if that's the way she feels, then there's nothing I can do to try to make amends for something I may have said or did that she, evidently, found racist and offensive.
And I now happened to sink into that ship a few months ago….. but either way, it was a big favor on my part.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
With the same person, or somebody else under similar circumstances?

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Ding ding ding ding ding! At least karma caught up with her big time in the end (for frankly not using her planning skills or knowledge; something she’s really proved she ain’t good at).

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I’m 100% convinced at some point later on in life that advertisements on the internet will never become skippable at all, and we’ll have to sit through every 2 minute advertisement that comes through.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I mean they're getting close; there's some ads that are capable of bypassing adblockers, which is why it helps to have more than one installed on your browser.

Yes, I'm aware that means nothing to a mobile user like you; I'm just sayin'.