The "You know what?" thread

MWoO

Reaction score
In Aladdin, after Genie is free, he asks Aladdin to wish for something to see if he’s truly free. However, Aladdin had already used up all three wishes (unless Genie had decided not to count Aladdin’s wish to be saved from drowning). So regardless of whether Genie was free, he wouldn’t have had to grant Aladdin’s wish (or anyone else’s, as none of the others let him out of the lamp).
What Genie didn't tell Aladdin is that once Jafar took over as Master, Aladdin's wish count reset. In hindsight it was kind of a jerk move not to tell him

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In the Taxi episode “Crime and Punishment”, where Louie gets Jeff to agree to take full responsibility of a crime that Louie had him to, after Louie confessed and the boss decided to drop charges and give Jeff his job back, we never really get another scene with Jeff in that episode. We don’t see him forgiving Louie or at least being happy that he’s no longer in trouble (though the boss does still think Jeff was responsible and only rehired him/dropped charges because he thought Louie was taking the blame).

but it was work later that season in “A Grand Gesture” when he refused to accept the money Louie wants to give him, knowing better than to trust Louie on such matters. Though the earlier occurrence is never brought up in terms of Jeff not trusting him.

maybe I should rewatch all the episodes between those two and see if it seems like Jeff’s opinion of Louie had lowered during that time.

D'Snowth

Reaction score

This article goes into the study of cultural biases in works of fiction by giving bad guys and villains foreign accents and dialects . . . and not one mention of the most notable examples of them all: those no-goodnik Pottsylvanian spies Boris and Natasha from Rocky and Bullwinkle? Outrageous!

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score

This article goes into the study of cultural biases in works of fiction by giving bad guys and villains foreign accents and dialects . . . and not one mention of the most notable examples of them all: those no-goodnik Pottsylvanian spies Boris and Natasha from Rocky and Bullwinkle? Outrageous!
I was reading that same article myself yesterday.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Recently on Muppet Wiki, there's been some discussion about deleting the "Oscar outside of his trash can" page, because it turns out that there were a lot more instances than the wiki people thought.

I never really thought it was particularly rare for Oscar to be seen outside of his trash can (though it does seem to be the case in the first ten years). I've grown up with Oscar outside the trash can just as often as inside his can. I did question the need for such a page when it started.

And yet it also seems like Oscar appeared in his "traveling can" form a lot less than I had thought. And I was aware that the traveling can concept hasn't been on the show in so long (I was surprised to see that it's last appearance was in an Elmo's World episode), though it has been in Sesame Street Live and Sesame Place (I think). For a long time (but I figured out better long ago as well) I thought that the traveling can, Bruno, and Oscar traveling without being inside or even near his can were all just as common (and the latter seems to be the most common of all, even during the years when those other forms of transportation were used).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this new Tyler Perry show YOUNG DYLAN is just THE FRESH PRINCE OF BEL-AIR with some kind named Dylan instead. I mean, the premise is virtually identical: the kid's a street-wise rapper who goes to live with his conservative, upperclass uncle, aunt, and cousins? It's literally the same show.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It seems like on many shows, family is a bit limited, at least when it comes to regular/main characters. It seems like on most shows that involve a family, or when the family of the main character are major characters, it's often just a household family. Usually just parents and siblings, maybe grandparents (who may or may not live with the main characters). We don't see much in terms of them having aunts, uncles, or cousins, and if we do, we don't see many of those relatives (and if any are major, then we might not see both parents or might not see any grandparents or whatever). Great-grandparents and relatives of parents when the main characters are kids might also be scarce (of course in my life those kinds of relatives have also been scarce).

Part of it could be due to not wanting too many main series regulars on the show, or maybe wanting more than just family in a fairly large cast. But even if the main focus is on a large family, it's limited - The Brady Bunch was mostly limited to just the parents and the six kids, with one cousin being a regular at the very end, and rarely any other relatives get seen or involved. For a smaller family example, there's The Goldberg's, where it's mostly the main family, with both grandfathers being seen a lot (only one showing up regularly while the other shows up from time to time), and one uncle seen on occasion.

I guess Rugrats is one exception to this, as we have Tommy, his parents, both his grandparents (well, both grandpas and his living grandmother), his aunt and uncle, and his cousin. Which seems to be it, outside of distant relatives who don't seem to be there a lot (like Didi's brother and sister-in-law, Aunt Miriam, and the family from Family Reunion).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this new Tyler Perry show YOUNG DYLAN is just THE FRESH PRINCE OF BEL-AIR with some kind named Dylan instead. I mean, the premise is virtually identical: the kid's a street-wise rapper who goes to live with his conservative, upperclass uncle, aunt, and cousins? It's literally the same show.
Wow, they're not even trying to hide this fact! They literally quoted Fresh Prince's "Parents Just Don't Understand" in the most recent promo! :stick_out_tongue:

cjd874

Reaction score
Some realizations that area completely unrelated to each other:
  1. What would it be like if you were the child of a good-looking A-list celebrity like Jennifer Lopez, Natalie Portman, Gal Gadot, Chris Hemsworth, or Ryan Reynolds? You'd probably be eight times as likely to have incredible genes, skin, etc.
  2. I've started doing some basic cooking and realized that it's not as hard as it seems. Most of it is prep work, planning out the process, and using good judgment to make sure that the food isn't under-cooked or over-cooked. It's getting easier for me to fry foods, make pork chops, etc. But don't expect me to make filet mignon or potatoes au gratin just yet!
  3. Chai tea backwards...is tai chi. (I put this as a Facebook status once and people went, WHOA!)