The "You know what?" thread

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Long ago, I noticed in the first two episodes of Pee-wee's Playhouse, each of the supporting humans gets a scene throughout the episode, and then most of them come back for the final scene (I guess in the second episode they're back a little bit longer at the end). Then the fourht episode is a little reversed, with most of the humans together at the beginning (or perhaps it's more accurate to say they're in the middle of the episode), and then a few of them get their own scene later in the episode.

Recently I saw both The Pee-wee Herman Show and Pee-wee's Big Adventure for the first time, and I noticed it's similar in those two as well. So The Pee-wee Herman Show has many scenes throughout with Jambi, Captain Carl, Miss Yvonne, and Mailman Mike, with the rest mainly getting one scene (Hammy does make a brief return before Pee-wee shouts at him to leave), and then all of them except for Hammy's sister Susan (and Joan, the member of the audience to take part in Pee-wee's hypnotism act), get back together for the final scene. I wonder why Susan only got one scene (I wondered if maybe she did one of the puppets, but according to IMDB that's not the case). Of course that is a live stage show, those tend to keep their actors involved throughout the show, and that was less puppet-focused than Pee-wee's Playhouse would be.

Then in Pee-wee's Big Adventure, most of the characters get just one scene, and then most of them return at the end when the events become a movie. Dottie, Francis, and the characters in Pee-wee's home town get more to do (especially before he starts his trip), I guess with it being a road trip movie there's not much that can be done with the people Pee-wee meets on the road (unless they were to continue traveling with him).

The Cheech and Chong movies seem to be like that a little as well. They don't really have a big finale with the whole cast back, but most of the supporting characters - which in some movies do include Paul Reubens and other future Pee-wee cast members - tend to get just one or two scenes, with the movies having more of a random events plot (well, the Pee-wee stuff often seems like that as well). I know those films were just lightly scripted and relied more on actors with strong improv skills, primarily taking comics from The Groundlings.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The Sirius channel '80s on 8 often includes short skits with a kid asking Teddy Ruxpin a question. We hear a sound that seems to imply pulling a lever or string.

While I never had one, I believe the toy just played audio on a tape. But these short interstitials seem to be mixing Teddy with a See 'n Say and Magic 8-Ball.