The Writer's Strike

Java

Reaction score
So, I've been hearing about the strike that has now started with the writers and how it will delay any new projects and the networks will run out of new shows and have to rely on reruns as soon as the scripts they have have been shown if the strike lasts long enough (and I think it certainly could)... and an idea came to me.

As Disney owns ABC wouldn't it be wonderful if they pulled out TMS to run thus exposing a new generation to it and opening the door for new fans instead of relying on so many reality shows and such?

Maybe it's silly but it's the thought that occured to me.

travellingpat

Reaction score
It would be great if they did that but i dont think they would......i think theyll just show reruns of the newer shows......

Java

Reaction score
I don't think they would do it either but... maybe if it does last that long we should start a letter writing campaign...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Power to the People! Hehe

I agree, Disney would be taking a good opportunity if they tried showing TMS. It's unlikely, but then again you never know. There's also the writing to customer service option, hehe:

disneyinfo@disneyhelp.com

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Was reading a little about that this moring. Was reading how advertisers don't like reruns as much and it could mean that the networks have to give advertisers even more time. I know the late night shows are the first to go, but it shouldn't affect the comedy's until mid season or January or February sometime.

I just wish Disney Channel or Nick@Nite or TV Lang would show TMS or something.

SSLFan

Reaction score
I wonder how this would affect future muppet projects. Well, if there are any.....

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
I know the late night shows are the first to go, but it shouldn't affect the comedy's until mid season or January or February sometime.
The networks have a small reserve of new episodes, but they are quickly running out. Shows like "The Office" only have 1 unaired episode left, the new season of "Lost" will only have 8 episodes, and "Family Guy" has no unaired episodes, other shows have maybe enough to get 'till Christmas, and of course the daily talk shows are all in re-runs. Even some movies are bing pushed around due to the strike.

I wonder how this would affect future muppet projects. Well, if there are any.....
There is a big Muppet project in the works (Dave Goelz and Gonzo spoke of it in June; Henson hinted at it at Comic-Con in July; and in an interview about the strike comedian/writer Hugh Fink said he was working on it too) - however the strike has put that (and everything else in Hollywood) on hold. So once the writers go back to work, I'm told they will be picking up work on that project too. But as long as the writers aren't working things can't move forward and so the whole project is on hold and may take a little longer to get to us. I know Henson and Sesame have similar issues with projects and scripts they are developing too.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
I agree, Disney would be taking a good opportunity if they tried showing TMS.
As much as I would love to see The Muppet Show on TV again, I would not want to see it use as replacement programming during this strike. Replacement programming is a trick the studios will use to survive without the writers, rather than working to settle the strike. The studios will do whatever they can to outlast the writers and hold out. Supporting replacement shows (or other programming tricks) that the studios use is essentially turning our backs on the writers who are out there striking. You are telling the studios that there is no strong need to listen to the writers right now, because the networks will be able get by without them by airing these replacement shows. The studios need to see that they can't survive without the writers – that they need to writers back now. By watching alternative programming we would only be telling the studios that we're content, we're okay with the writers being on strike and that there is no rush or pressure to get things resolved - and that would give the studios the upper-hand in negations.

I wish TMS was in syndication - a network like TV Land or ABC Family seem like perfect homes for it. Maybe the royalties for all the music make it an expensive show to sell in the rerun market. Well, at least the DVDs are coming out so the episodes are becoming available.

Java

Reaction score
I see your point.

At the same time, all the networks show enough reruns of their hit shows that one half hour could be replaced by TMS. Even if there wasn't a strike.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
See here is what i wonder if people like oh Alen Alda who when doing M.A.S.H helped write produce and direct the show. Is he part of the writers guild? can someone who acts also be in the wriers guild? i really admire actors and people who not only act but write and produce kind of the way Brian Henson is he does it all as well.