The Writer's Strike

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
There is also a stagehand strike for Broadway. i wonder how beau the stagehand will take it and how it affects Avenue Q.
I imagine Beau and George are out in the streets protesting but they probably don't have any idea why! :smile: :zany: As for Avenue Q, it seems to be one of the shows affected.

Drtooth

Reaction score
As Disney owns ABC wouldn't it be wonderful if they pulled out TMS to run thus exposing a new generation to it and opening the door for new fans instead of relying on so many reality shows and such?

Yes. And it would also be wonderful if all the greedy network heads and producers that screwed the writers so bad they had to leave the shows they were working on (which punnishes themselves and the fans and not the hollywood upsmen) would all commit seppuku and get replaced by considerate people who'd end the strike in a week. But that ain't gonna happen either.

I can see seas of horrid reality television shows just jumping out of the TV right now. That's all that's gonna happen. No reruns, nothing. Just reality.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I can see seas of horrid reality television shows just jumping out of the TV right now. That's all that's gonna happen. No reruns, nothing. Just reality.
As if reality doesn't need writers...Are you frickin kiddin' me?

Java

Reaction score
Can I just point out that there is no need for new negotiations to take place with music rights on "The Muppet Show", let anyone *any* TV show. Music rights for broadcast will have been negotiated back when the programme was made, and don't need to be renegotiated. It's only for commercial release that you (may) have to renegotiate music rights.
If this is so, then why do songs and scenes get cut from shows in syndication?

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
If this is so, then why do songs and scenes get cut from shows in syndication?
Usually that's for time reasons - not copyright reasons. Most syndicated airings of a television show (from The Muppet Show to Seinfeld to The Simpsons to The Cosby Show) are shorter than their original network broadcast version. The syndication package cuts stuff so the networks can fit in more ads into the show and thus allows the syndication package to cost less.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Is the Writers' Strike Going to Effect Sesame Street?

?:confused:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really wish someone could answer that. Would that be the same union, or would it be another one. I know certain animation writers who are part of a sepperate guild that isn't related to the WGA still are working (and I heard they actually tried to bully people who belong to both guilds into not working for the non-striking union). So would their be a sepperate one for Children's TV?

And even still, for ratings sake, couldn't they just put together compilation shows or something until they get everything back together?

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
The short answer: yes, it could.

The slightly longer answer: Production on the next season, based on past experience, would likely start in the early part of next year with debut on PBS sometime in August -- however if the writers' strike is still going on at that time they obviously won't have anything written and thus can't produce anything. So I would say if the writers are still striking in April it is likely that season 39 of Sesame Street (just like every other television show) won't have new episodes ready for the fall and would have to be delayed.

Xerus

Reaction score
These days, most of the newest Muppet movies or specials were written by Brian Henson, Bill Barretta, and Kirk Thatcher. I wonder if they'll still keep writing?