The Worst CGI Kid Films In Recent Memory

D'Snowth

Reaction score
There apparently was a NORM OF THE NORTH sequel, but nobody even knows about it. Why doesn't anybody know about it? Because it went straight to DVD. But on top of that, plans are now also being made for two more sequels, and they're hoping those will see theatrical releases.

Now, the question is this: why? Nobody liked the first one! It was a critical and commercial failure . . . so, how does this even warrant a sequel, let alone justify the expense of producing one? Even a DVD sequel?!
Yep. I see there's another direct-to-DVD sequel coming out.

crackmaster

Reaction score
Alpha and Omega and its sequels, along with something called The Panda Warrior, are on HBO Max. All I can say is... why?

crackmaster

Reaction score
Lego Batman was an absolute delight and just passed my expectations despite the fact that the only problem I had was that it felt too short and had too much in it near the end and it only makes me desperately want a full fledged Lego Justice League movie. I mean, a Lego DCCU? Has a lot more potential than what they did with the regular DCCU.
I NEED a Lego DCCU! Lego Batman 3 was awesome (Cyborg being scared of everything is froggin' adorable) and the only thing I don't like is how they made Bumper Robinson voice Grid in Lego DC Super-Villains. He should've sounded like how Ultron's voice sounded in the Lego Marvel games. Grid just sounds too stupid in the Legoverse.

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
Here are some of my least favorite CGI animated films of the last few years (in no particular order):
  • Norm of the North franchise - Basically one of those parody Rob Schneider trailers from South Park that somehow became an actual movie. How it became a franchise I’ll never know.
  • Arctic Dogs - And here’s Norm’s 2019 equivalent. It’s not as talked about as Norm, but I find it about as bad.
  • Playmobil the Movie: A crappy LEGO Movie ripoff. And that’s all I have to say about that.
  • Home - What happens when Dreamworks makes a movie starring Sheldon Cooper and Rihanna? It sucks. That’s what happens.
  • Trolls - Wow. Another Dreamworks movie already. Everything about this one screams “Buy our products! BUY OUR PRODUCTS!”
  • Uglydolls - And here’s what happens when you take Trolls and somehow make it even worse. I will admit that I do find the animation of this one slightly better that Trolls, but that’s not saying much.
  • The Boss Baby - Despite the fact that Norm of The a North literally had Rob Schneider as the main character, this one reminds me even more of those aforementioned South Park trailers. Other than that though, I actually didn’t really find this one as horrendous as the others.
And now, I know I said I’d go in no particular order, but I purposely saved the worst for last. And if you’ve noticed one glaring omission, I’ll talk about it right now. You already know what it is, so say it with me…
  • The Emoji Movie - My god, do I hate this movie. I hate it so much that I wrote a review of it on the BFDI Wiki. You can read it here. I won’t repeat myself much, so I’ll just say the plot makes no sense and is used only to promote random apps, the animation is lazier than Garfield, the main characters are so unlikeable that I find myself rooting for the villain (whom I also hate), and the humor is so bad that it reminded me of those god-Awful Seltzer and Friedberg Parody movies.
However, with all that said, maybe there’s a reason I saw it in theaters. The humor is so unfunny that it somehow makes me laugh, rooting for the villain was actually pretty fun, and at least unlike Norm and Arctic Dogs, the animation looks somewhat professionally done. While I still hate the Emoji Movie, I do kind of enjoy it too. Ironically, of course, but it’s still more than most of the other movies I mentioned.​

crackmaster

Reaction score
  • The Emoji Movie - My god, do I hate this movie. I hate it so much that I wrote a review of it on the BFDI Wiki. You can read it here. I won’t repeat myself much, so I’ll just say the plot makes no sense and is used only to promote random apps, the animation is lazier than Garfield, the main characters are so unlikeable that I find myself rooting for the villain (whom I also hate), and the humor is so bad that it reminded me of those god-Awful Seltzer and Friedberg Parody movies.
However, with all that said, maybe there’s a reason I saw it in theaters. The humor is so unfunny that it somehow makes me laugh, rooting for the villain was actually pretty fun, and at least unlike Norm and Arctic Dogs, the animation looks somewhat professionally done. While I still hate the Emoji Movie, I do kind of enjoy it too. Ironically, of course, but it’s still more than most of the other movies I mentioned.
The reason I disliked The Emoji Movie at first was because I wanted there to be a computer virus as the villain who would look and act like Swayzak from Toonami. While I've found other reasons to hate it now, I still want there to have been a virus as the villain. He would be the only good character in that pile of crap, but maybe even HE would've been screwed up.

crackmaster

Reaction score
That actually sounds like a decent idea.
It'd be better than the froggin' Barbie movie that used an emoji as the computer virus villain. Why not make a character like the Phantom Virus from Scooby-Doo? It doesn't have to be always aimed at little girls!

crackmaster

Reaction score
Any say on Minions: The Rise of Gru? Minions is trash IMO, can't wait to see how this does on RottenTomatoes.

crackmaster

Reaction score
Not to mention that it sounds like many of those cheesy cartoons that were made back in the 70's, stuff like Casper the Friendly Ghost accompanying two Charlie's Angel-wannabes IN SPACE!, or the Partridge Family in the future or even the Happy Days characters travelling through time.

At least those had the excuse that hordes of concerned parents demanded that cartoons be devoid of violence or even conflict at the time, and even the people at Hanna-Barbera didn't like making these.
Only Partridge Family 2200 A.D. came out during that time. Casper & the Angels and The Fonz & the Happy Days Gang came out well after cartoons started to have violence and conflict again, like the Challenge of the Super Friends episode "Super Friends: Rest in Peace" and of course, Star Blazers. They were also re-running the classic Hanna-Barbera action cartoons like Space Ghost and Birdman around this time as part of a syndicated package called "Hanna-Barbera's World of Super Adventure." So you're kinda wrong, there.

Cookie3001

Reaction score
I completely forgot about this monstrosity from 2001. They tried doing a Rudolph sequel and everything went horribly wrong. I remember watching it maybe once or twice as a child and hated everything about it