The Worst CGI Kid Films In Recent Memory

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So not only does Illumination basically strip the Grinch of all his grinchiness, but they also give the movie the laziest-*** DVD cover design ever:

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
The one thing I appreciated about that film is they actually went for his conventional 2D animated look instead of doing the hyperrealistic thing which is popular these days; ironically, the 2000 Grinch was kind of the opposite in that way: doing live action when it wasn't big and then going animated in the era of hyperrealism.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've been thinking, and Dr. Seuss's estate hated those live-action movies with such a burning passion that they vowed to never have another one of his books or titles adapted as such movies ever again - and so far, they've lived up to that; we haven't had another live-action adaptation since THE CAT IN THE HAT (which is considered to be one of the worst movies of all time).

Alright, fair enough . . . but honestly, are these CGI remakes even really all that better? Granted, I can't really speak about them since I've only ever actually seen HORTON HEARS A WHO! (and I still say that movie was only successful because of token emo teen JoJo being a breakout character, or as TV Tropes would say, an Ensemble Dark Horse), but it seems like most, if not all of the ensuing CGI remakes since then have been a mixed bag with critics and audiences. I'll at least give Blue Sky credit for doing an excellent job at capturing Dr. Seuss's drawing style with Horton, but Illumination seems to take a little too much artistic license with their adaptations, to the point that they made the Grinch look too cute and cuddly, and Cindy Lou Who look like a chubby-cheeked chibi.

Then again, Dr. Seuss's estate's disdain for the live-action movies seems to be more steeped in the vulgar and raunchy humor they endulged in . . . but, let's say further live-action remakes stayed away from that area, and stayed a little closer to the source material - would they be okay with that?

Overall, of all the modern remakes, the live-action Grinch seems to get the most love, and you have to admit, Jim Carrey really took that character to a whole 'nother level with his over-the-top performance.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Even though everybody hated BOSS BABY, apparently it was successful enough to warrant a series . . . that was dumped straight to Netflix, so that probably explains why nobody's heard of it.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Even though everybody hated BOSS BABY, apparently it was successful enough to warrant a series . . . that was dumped straight to Netflix, so that probably explains why nobody's heard of it.
I couldn’t stand seeing that movie, but was forced to watch it because my mom really wanted to see it.