The 'What Song Are You Currently Listening To?' Thread

cjd874

Reaction score
This is actually kinda cool:
That music also reminds me of that Dave Chappelle standup routine where he explains why he thinks Sesame Street is reminiscent of the ghetto and a bad influence on children:
"And then they put a PIMP on there! Now they don't up and say he's a pimp, but I know a pimp when I see one. They call him the Count! He's got a cape and everything."

Blue Frackle

Reaction score

Going to see him on Sunday; don't know if the bigger atrocity is how underrated he is or the fact the only song he's known for is "I don't wanna work, I want to bang on the drum all day" (which most people don't even know was him anyway)... well, he did have some top 40 singer-songwriter stuff in the '70s that people would know from That '70s Show... genius!

And there's actually a Henson connection...

newsmanfan

Reaction score
Seeded my work chillout/introspective/electonica Pandora station with Gary Numan, and today I've heard some music new to me. Numan's stuff from the 80s still sounds fresh and sharp. (Station also has Laurie Anderson, Bjork, Joywave, Massive Attack, Portishead, Orgy, Big Data, for comparison.)

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
LOTS of jazz over the past week or so: Coleman Hawkins, Dave Brubeck, Miles Davis, Bill Evans, Thelonious Monk, Zoot Sims, Lester Young, and Teddy Wilson.
One of my favorite jazz albums ever, Buddy Montgomery "This Rather Than That."
Jazz scholars remember Wes Montgomery, famous jazz guitarist. But Wes had two musical brothers. Monk, the first jazz musician to play electric bass, and Buddy who played vibes, piano and organ.
This album is all instrumentals, recorded live, modern groove.
Came out late 1969, right around the same time as Sesame Street.
And still only available on LP. This has been out of print forever, never issued on CD.

cjd874

Reaction score
Average White Band - Pick Up the Pieces. Now THAT is a classic!