The 'What Song Are You Currently Listening To?' Thread

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Thanks Windlow for those two posts about 'The End'... it's great to meet someone who has such awesome music tastes!! :smile:
Yeah, you're right, it actually goes for 11:42 minutes, not six like I said... I must've been thinking 'bout another song without checking whether I was right. :wink:
I love The Doors, I think they're an amazing band. Yeah, I noticed when listening to 'Break On Through' from a different Doors album Jim Morrison only says "She gets..." instead of "She get high", too.
fanks for your recommendations, too. I fave songs of their's are: 'break On Through (to the other side)', 'Light My Fire', 'The Crystal Ship', 'Alabamba Song', 'The End', 'Love me two times', 'People Are strange', 'hello, I love you', 'Touch me', 'Love her madly' and 'Riders on The Storm'. (Phew!!)
Yeah, The End really is a masterpiece. :smile:
After the Doors released their first two albums (The Doors and Strange Days, both 1967), they embarked on what would perhaps become their most troubled record, Waiting for the Sun. The original plan was to have Morrison's epic poem, "The Celebration of the Lizard" take up the entire side of the LP, and a handful of new, original songs on the other side. The Doors also planned to have the album cover done up in an imitation lizard skin, but this proved too costly, and it was dropped. The sessions for this album were a disaster. Morrison often showed up late and/or inebriated, if at all. Takes of "Lizard" were started and scrapped. At one point drummer John Densmore quit in frustration. Finally, it was decided that "The Celebration of the Lizard" would be scrapped, after producer Paul Rothchild couldn't get a satisfactory take of a poem/song-suite that would run over 20 minutes. This left half the album empty. So Morrison dug into his old journals from his pre-fame days and came up with the few remaining songs the band hadn't yet recorded. One of these songs was "Hello I Love You," which the band considered a trifle, but which ultimately became a hit single and one of the group's most familiar tunes. Another was the haunting "Summer's Almost Gone." The finished album, Waiting for the Sun, finally appeared in the summer of 1968. "The Celebration of the Lizard" was printed on the inner sleeve of the album, and a fragment of it, "Not to Touch the Earth," became a 3-minute song. The album also includes two anti-war anthems: "The Unknown Soldier" and "Five to One." Despite the drama behind the scenes, and a "rushed" feeling to some of the material, I think Waiting for the Sun is an excellent album. Later, "The Celebration of the Lizard" would become a concert staple for the band, and a cobbled-together studio version consisting of various takes is available on one of the current "greatest hits" albums.

The next album, The Soft Parade (1969), is generally considered the Doors' first real misstep, blending the group's unique sound with horns and strings. Actually, this is another underrated album. The bulk of the songs were written by guitarist Robbie Krieger (who of course co-wrote "Light My Fire"). This album contains "Touch Me," "Wild Child," "Shaman's Blues," "Wishful Sinful," and "The Soft Parade," another epic album-closer. Many die-hard fans were turned off by the brassy sound to some of the songs, while others found the lyrics weak compared to earlier efforts. But The Soft Parade's reputation has grown over the years, and today it is considered a solid effort. Some fans even prefer it over Waiting for the Sun.

In 1970, the Doors got back to basics. No more ambitious poems set to music. No more horns. Morrison Hotel is considered by many fans to be the group's best. It's got the classic "Roadhouse Blues," "Waiting for the Sun," "The Spy," "Peace Frog," and "Indian Summer," among others. Morrison's voice seems stronger and more confident, and the band really cooks. This is a classic "comeback" album.

L.A. Woman (1971) is a tough, gritty blues album. In addition to the title tune, we've got the hit singles "Love Her Madly" and "Riders on the Storm." Other songs include "Crawling King Snake," "Been Down So Long," "The Changeling," and "Hyacinth House." Morrison's voice this time around sounds richer and more deeper.

And that's it for the Doors' official discography. Six albums released between 1967 and 1971. In between Morrison Hotel and L.A. Woman, their label put out Absolutely Live, an album of live material recorded at several venues from the past year. Since then, there have been more live albums and endless "greatest hits" packages. The three remaining Doors put out three albums of original material between 1972 (a year after Morrison's death) and 1978. The first two albums featured keyboardist Ray Manzarek on lead vocals. The third, An American Prayer, was made up of poetry recited by Morrison, recorded shortly before his death, with new music by the Doors performing in the background (kind of like what the Beatles did with "Free as a Bird" and "Real Love").

Er...sorry to ramble on and on again...

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
"I'm Going To Bring a Watermelon To My Girl Tonight" - The Bonzo Dog Band

Kiki

Reaction score
After the Doors released their first two albums (The Doors and Strange Days, both 1967), they embarked on what would perhaps become their most troubled record, Waiting for the Sun. The original plan was to have Morrison's epic poem, "The Celebration of the Lizard" take up the entire side of the LP, and a handful of new, original songs on the other side. The Doors also planned to have the album cover done up in an imitation lizard skin, but this proved too costly, and it was dropped. The sessions for this album were a disaster. Morrison often showed up late and/or inebriated, if at all. Takes of "Lizard" were started and scrapped. At one point drummer John Densmore quit in frustration. Finally, it was decided that "The Celebration of the Lizard" would be scrapped, after producer Paul Rothchild couldn't get a satisfactory take of a poem/song-suite that would run over 20 minutes. This left half the album empty. So Morrison dug into his old journals from his pre-fame days and came up with the few remaining songs the band hadn't yet recorded. One of these songs was "Hello I Love You," which the band considered a trifle, but which ultimately became a hit single and one of the group's most familiar tunes. Another was the haunting "Summer's Almost Gone." The finished album, Waiting for the Sun, finally appeared in the summer of 1968. "The Celebration of the Lizard" was printed on the inner sleeve of the album, and a fragment of it, "Not to Touch the Earth," became a 3-minute song. The album also includes two anti-war anthems: "The Unknown Soldier" and "Five to One." Despite the drama behind the scenes, and a "rushed" feeling to some of the material, I think Waiting for the Sun is an excellent album. Later, "The Celebration of the Lizard" would become a concert staple for the band, and a cobbled-together studio version consisting of various takes is available on one of the current "greatest hits" albums.

The next album, The Soft Parade (1969), is generally considered the Doors' first real misstep, blending the group's unique sound with horns and strings. Actually, this is another underrated album. The bulk of the songs were written by guitarist Robbie Krieger (who of course co-wrote "Light My Fire"). This album contains "Touch Me," "Wild Child," "Shaman's Blues," "Wishful Sinful," and "The Soft Parade," another epic album-closer. Many die-hard fans were turned off by the brassy sound to some of the songs, while others found the lyrics weak compared to earlier efforts. But The Soft Parade's reputation has grown over the years, and today it is considered a solid effort. Some fans even prefer it over Waiting for the Sun.

In 1970, the Doors got back to basics. No more ambitious poems set to music. No more horns. Morrison Hotel is considered by many fans to be the group's best. It's got the classic "Roadhouse Blues," "Waiting for the Sun," "The Spy," "Peace Frog," and "Indian Summer," among others. Morrison's voice seems stronger and more confident, and the band really cooks. This is a classic "comeback" album.

L.A. Woman (1971) is a tough, gritty blues album. In addition to the title tune, we've got the hit singles "Love Her Madly" and "Riders on the Storm." Other songs include "Crawling King Snake," "Been Down So Long," "The Changeling," and "Hyacinth House." Morrison's voice this time around sounds richer and more deeper.

And that's it for the Doors' official discography. Six albums released between 1967 and 1971. In between Morrison Hotel and L.A. Woman, their label put out Absolutely Live, an album of live material recorded at several venues from the past year. Since then, there have been more live albums and endless "greatest hits" packages. The three remaining Doors put out three albums of original material between 1972 (a year after Morrison's death) and 1978. The first two albums featured keyboardist Ray Manzarek on lead vocals. The third, An American Prayer, was made up of poetry recited by Morrison, recorded shortly before his death, with new music by the Doors performing in the background (kind of like what the Beatles did with "Free as a Bird" and "Real Love").

Er...sorry to ramble on and on again...
Oh do not be sorry, I really appreciate you posting all this for me, I'm getting a real kick out of it, I love learning 'bout this kind of stuff. :smile: Yeah, I love celebration of the Lizard, great song ("Is everybody in? The ceremony is about it begin"). I have quite a few Doors albums but I can't pick my fave!!
Jim Morrison was a unique soul and wonderful poet. And he's sorrowly missed. :sympathy:

Kiki

Reaction score
'Claire'
-Gilbert O'Sullivan.

Kiki

Reaction score
'Woodstock'
-Matthew's Southern Comfort.

Teheheman

Reaction score
"Hurt"-Sad Kermit version(That's a messed up video)

Daniel