The "What Are You Eating Right Now?" Thread

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Haven't seen it, but I think it's not so much the ice cream as the batter or cereal coating stuck on the outside of the scoop that gets fried instead. :search:

Katzi428

Reaction score
I still don't know how one successfully fries ice cream. :confused:
Here's your answer:
Why does the ice-cream not melt? ... Generally, fried ice cream are small balls of ice cream which are frozen at a very low temperature and then rolled in a batter or either eggs, cornflakes or tempura and then deep fried.The coating generally acts as an insulating agent and the ice cream does not melt inside.
(I copied & pasted the answer )

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Here's your answer:
Why does the ice-cream not melt? ... Generally, fried ice cream are small balls of ice cream which are frozen at a very low temperature and then rolled in a batter or either eggs, cornflakes or tempura and then deep fried.The coating generally acts as an insulating agent and the ice cream does not melt inside.
Oh, huh. Pretty cool. I might wanna try making that sometime, sounds good

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Went to a popular restaurant here called El Cerezal (which translates into "the cherry tree grove/orchard") and I had a surf 'n' turf dish called a "volcano". It's a skirt steak stuffed with your choice of seafood, (I went with octopus), some salad veggies like lettuce and onions, and a mofongo base. Delicious was the word for it. :big_grin:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Here's your answer:
There's also a diessert called Baked Alaska, which is ice cream baked inside a shell of sugar, like the topping of a lemon meringue pie. Used to be served in all the swanky restaurants and hotels.
But same thing with deep fried candy bars. The batter gets fried but the chocolate does not melt.
Still not the best thing for your heart, but once in a very rare blue moon.

Katzi428

Reaction score
There's also a diessert called Baked Alaska, which is ice cream baked inside a shell of sugar, like the topping of a lemon meringue pie. Used to be served in all the swanky restaurants and hotels.
But same thing with deep fried candy bars. The batter gets fried but the chocolate does not melt.
Still not the best thing for your heart, but once in a very rare blue moon.
I've had Baked Alaska & It's DELICIOUS! Like you said,Fuzzy G it's in a meringue & the ice cream is inside of that. It's not the best thing for you . But once in a while it's a good treat . (Om Nom Nom Nom!! )