The VHS Thread

D'Snowth

Reaction score
YES! I always remember hearing that as a child, lol.
We ALL remember that heralde, we ALL do. :stick_out_tongue:

And as previously mentioned, that is one annoyance I face too: why is it that the audio of the menus are usually blaring, while the actual content is more muted in comparison? I notice this is far more common with older shows and movies than more current ones.

Okay, now I have a question... what was the last movie ever to be released on VHS before they became obsolete?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Okay, now I have a question... what was the last movie ever to be released on VHS before they became obsolete?
Hmm, well according to the LA Times:

"The last major Hollywood movie to be released on VHS was A History of Violence in 2006."
http://articles.latimes.com/2008/dec/22/entertainment/et-vhs-tapes22

So A History of Violence was the last regular release of a VHS of a major Hollywood film. But then as mr3urious pointed out, films like The House of the Devil were later released on VHS as a sort of collectible, which is a bit different.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure WHEN VHS started showing previews at the beginning, but I know some of the early Disney videotapes going back to the early-mid 80s, many of them had previews. I don't know if anyone here had the old DTV (the music video concept combining pop songs and clips from Disney animated shorts and films) but at the beginning of those, they had previews for Disney films. I remember that's where I first saw clips from Pollyanna with Hayley Mills and the creepy Watcher In the Woods...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ah yes... A History of Violence... "playing" on the stairs has GOT to be painful...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I have a VHS of Disney's The Sword in the Stone, from roughly 1985. Before the film there is a preview for the live action 1985 film The Journey of Natty Gann (Wow, remember that?). Then after the film is over, there's this big promotional song for other Disney VHS's, with a montage of various Disney cartoons.

Even as a child though, I remember thinking that was kind of odd, because none of my other Disney VHS's had previews at the end.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I remember a Gumby VHS I used to have that randomly had these 1970's Japanese cartoons (dubbed into English by Ziv international) at the end of it, supposedly as previews. They freaked me out for the longest time... I remember Captain Future, Little Lulu (yep, there was a Little Lulu anime in the 70's), and Candy Candy.. I wanna say there was more, but I can't remember them all. All I can remember is the lame Americanized music that they all had for theme songs.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Is it a BetaMax? I think it was like the VHS of it's time before the actual VHS tapes quickly phased it out.
Wow... I remember having a Betamax VCR as a kid - I can still remember when VHS was the new big thing and I remember first getting a VHS player. And now I have a VHS/DVD combo player- and I'm not interested in upgrading to Blu-Ray.
It's gotten to the point where I'm honestly just fine with the quality of either Beta, VHS or DVD - and I would be fine with any of them. I get tired of the constant improving and constant forcing people to buy new video systems because the older ones are becoming obsolete. I can still get VHS tapes online or at thrift stores all the time and sometimes I find some good movies I'd like to see or episodes of TV shows for really cheap prices.
Anyway- it just gets annoying sometimes to hear people acting like VHS is some ancient format- because then I think of Betamax and that only started in 1975. And then I think of 16mm film and Reel-to-Reel formats- wow, now we're really getting old. Even so, I remember using those as a child too.
Oh well- I guess I just like some old technology. Kinda like how I like to play LPs on my record player and listen to cassette tapes on my Walkman. They still work fine and I'm not going to pay the money to trade in all my cassettes, LPs, and VHS tapes just to upgrade to the new formats. When they fall apart completely- then I might replace them. But there's no reason to otherwise- and I don't have the money to anyway.
:wisdom:

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I have a VHS of Disney's The Sword in the Stone, from roughly 1985. Before the film there is a preview for the live action 1985 film The Journey of Natty Gann (Wow, remember that?). Then after the film is over, there's this big promotional song for other Disney VHS's, with a montage of various Disney cartoons.

Even as a child though, I remember thinking that was kind of odd, because none of my other Disney VHS's had previews at the end.
I LOVE the Journey of Natty Gann just for the record...too bad they did such a lousy transfer job when they put it out on DVD, but I bought it anyway and I guess it's better than nothing.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I LOVE the Journey of Natty Gann just for the record...too bad they did such a lousy transfer job when they put it out on DVD, but I bought it anyway and I guess it's better than nothing.
I've actually never seen the movie all the way through. I've just seen the trailer a bajillion times, lol. I really should get around to it at some point! :insatiable: