The Song is Familiar...

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Of course, I tend to mix up Elton with another piano player who just happened to voice a Disney character. (Let's see if anyone could figure out who I'm referring to.)
Who is Billy Joel for the Daily Double, Alex?

Kiki

Reaction score
Again, I'm mentioning a dead obvious one, but "He's So Fine" by The Chiffons and "My Sweet Lord" by George Harrison which followed it. That was an interesting case.

HeyButtahfly

Reaction score
Gah, unoriginal songwriting yanks my chain!

A big case was when Michael Bolton got sued in the mid-90's by the Isley Brothers for the song "Love is a Wonderful Thing."

Personally, I think the chorus of the Jonas Brothers' "Burning Up" sounds a lot like a memorable part from Maroon 5's "Makes Me Wonder."

And in the case of a songwriter "plagiarizing" himself, there's the incident where Ryan Tedder used 2 very similar (some say identical) instrumental tracks to write 2 separate songs with/for Beyonce ("Halo") and Kelly Clarkson ("Already Gone"). Niiiiiice.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Kinda obvious one

Why Dont You Get a Job by The Offspring and Obla-di Obla Da (sp?) by the Beatles are basically the same song :stick_out_tongue:

And I think Alice Cooper's Give it up sounds like Motley Crue's Looks that kill (though, my dad would say the remixed Live Wire from their Decade of Decades album)

Also, maybe I'm the only person in the world who would notice this, but in The kids Arent Alright by the offspring, the first few notes in the riff was taken pretty much note for note from the very short guitar solo (by short, I mean the 4 seconds about halfway through the song with just guitar) ramones' pet semetary.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Gah, unoriginal songwriting yanks my chain!
That reminds me... has Tiffany ever sung an original song, rather than doing covers of previous songs, and slightly changing the lyrics to where there'd be from a female perspective, instead of a male perspective?

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
That reminds me... has Tiffany ever sung an original song, rather than doing covers of previous songs, and slightly changing the lyrics to where there'd be from a female perspective, instead of a male perspective?
Was "I Think We're Alone Now" an original or cover?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Was "I Think We're Alone Now" an original or cover?
Cover. It was originally recorded in the 60s by Tommy James and The Shondells, who also did songs like "Mony Mony" (also later covered by another 80s group), and "Crimson and Clover" (later covered by Joan Jett).

Beakerfan

Reaction score
Haha this is a great thread.

"Super Freak" by Rick James and "U Can't Touch This" by MC Hammer. Practically identical, despite their lyrical and style differences.

MLR930

Reaction score
that would be by Vanilla Ice (ice baby..)

and yes, those too are identical.. i don't care that VI swears there is like a one note or half beat difference.. (no, there isn't.. not to the ear anyway....)

I saw on his A&E Biography (I don't know why I was watching it I couldn't sleep, don't judge me lol) that he was only joking he knows it was Under Pressure