The Seventh (Somewhat) Annual Muppet Central Forum Awards 2011

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Well, I'm not going to delete the awards I've already made, and I will still make the rest, just in case y'all change yer minds.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
DW I wish you all the luck in the world man I have been talking with Ryan through out this and I would not wish this one anyone.

The main problem that we have here is not the lack of support, I think there are some on the Forums who have a true passion about being Muppet fans, and they are also proud to be members on this forum. However the older members such as Ryan do not have the respect that they deserve, and have earned. We hardly ever see any of the Moderaters anymore and if we did I think that more respect would be givin to the ones who need it.
Personaly I want to thank Ryan for the work he has put in not only for the awards year in and year out, but also helping me on the Ask Jim Lewis thread. He is a true passionet Muppet fan, and I'm a better member on this froum because of his zeal.
I love the Muppets! I love all other Sesame, and Henson related things! I Love being a MEMBER OF THE GREATEST MUPPET FAN FROUM! I just wish we could all rally together and be happy. This Forum can and should grow very soon, and I just hope that we have all the support that we can get.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
However the older members such as Ryan do not have the respect that they deserve, and have earned.
In what way, may I ask? Not what have people done to deserve respect, but in what way are they not getting it? Maybe I'm just tired and I don't get it, but I fear this statement is going to turn into a "I dislike cliques even though technically by leaving others out to dry I made my own" kind of thing. Take Hensonville, for example. It used to be funny and lively. And then people left. Sure, a lot of it is most likely due to lack of time -- but I get irritated when people demand a "revival" when some of those people seem to have left it to die in the first place. I tried to support the things I loved. And I still felt the ground crumble underneath me. And before anyone flames me to a crisp for any "insults" ... try being a newbie finding a thread that wistfully talks of the "good ol' days" when older members who apparently left were still posting. The very idea of a thread like that screams "teh n00bs suck", at least to me, anyway. While I can fathom that it was not the intention to form an "old guard" clique, it's still insulting, and I'm not really all that "new". But, hey, what do I know? I wasn't around in the "good ol' days", so I guess I just can't appreciate random muffining and just how awesome things "used to be". Again, I'm sorry if maybe I'm just taking this the wrong way due to posts lacking tone of voice and such subtleties, but this sentence just sort of rubbed me the wrong way and I can't help but verbalize it.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
*Scurries into the dark recesses of the forum to ensure a full ballot next time*

Rat: Hey! This is MY dark recess! Find your own!

Pink slip.

Rat: Hey, this is YOUR dark recess. I'll go find another.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, I noticed that there are "best fan artist" and "best fanfic" categories, but no "best fan art" or "best fan writer" categories. Is there a specific reason for that?
You know, between my last post and now, i was thinking that i probably would make note of suggestions for awards and then add them next year instead of adding any new awards to the ballot this year, but you bring up such a good point that it's hard for me not to ignore it. I agree there should be a seperate award to honor best fiction and art vs. best writer and artist. Sure, it may turn out that the writer of the best story and artist of best art may be the same but you may also get some difference there too. You have those people that consistently turn out excellent work throughout the year and that should be acknowledged.

Curse people having brilliant ideas when i ask for them :wink:

Anyway, just so everyone knows, i plan on having either Ryan or someone else who's been involved with the awards to have joint access to all the votes just because (again with my decade's worth of experience in market research), i feel that it just makes people feel better about the awards' validity if more than one person can see all the data so everyone knows that it's being tabulated and represented honestly! If there's at least one other person who can look over my shoulder as it were and can verify the same things that i see, then no one should worry about a stuffed or tampered with ballot box!

dwmckim

Reaction score
You know what i think happened this year? I'll bet too many people accidentally sent their votes over to the Froum Awards (poking fun at dwayne1115's sig!)

Seriously though. Give me a few days to allow everyone to throw out any more feedback or ideas as i review stuff myself and sometime later this week, i'll have the new deadlines/updated rules/announcements and so forth posted. I'll most likely start a new thread which i'll link to from this one.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
ha ha! well I'm fully on board and i still am looking forward to co hosting the awards. I'll help any way I can if you need me you can always e-mail me at dwayne1115@gmail.com

What I ment about the respct was with the people in charge. He has been trying to get things put on the web site for a long time, and nothing would come of it. That is kind of the short story of how he started the Muppet Mindset. I had the same problem when I was trying to post the first Jim Lewis interview i did, and others have had the same problem.
When it comes down to it I feel that this site as a whole has kind of went off, but the Forum is still going strong. However I feel that as we are growing we are lossing some of our older fans. I mean the older fans have been kind of down and out ever since Jim has passed. Now we have had some good things happen since then, but we have been let down an awful lot. With this new movie people are still arguing and saying thing that are not even relevent. I feel that now is the time for Muppet fans to be excited, and looking forward to what is ahead.The Muppets are back people, and as fans we need to start showing it!

Slackbot

Reaction score
If you would like help with bean counting, I hereby volunteer. I've run Fandom awards before, albeit a while ago (the URA 2001 Awards) so I have a bit of experience. And I had several extra vote counters to avoid errors and bite any allegations of shenanagins in the bud.

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
I'm all for keeping this thing going if you want. I can't promise that I can vote for everything (because some categories I don't feel I know anyone well enough to vote on particular things) But thanks for trying to keep it going, and thanks to whoever was involved in getting it started.

dwmckim

Reaction score
PMs have been sent to dwayne and Ryan and once i get their responses, i should soon be able to make announcements regarding extended voting and the new projected dates.