The Saddest thing that reminds you that you're old...

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
But if I was a car, I'd be a 1968 Carroll Shelby Mustang. 289 cubic inch 8 cylinder engine, ragtop convertible, candy apple red finish, bucket seats, top down every weekend, still leaving younger models in the dust.
I'm 51, but still loving life.

BertsNose

Reaction score
Mr. Bill! Oh nooooo!

Okay, so off topic but random story, so my first exposure to Mr. Bill was actually on an old Mst3k recording from 1992 on Comedy Central (if you know me well, you know I've loved that show all my life; this came from numerous fan recorded tapes when my dad taped the show back in the day), and Comedy Central back in the day made a series of "We're all going to die" commercials. Mr. Bill was in one of them. He explains how making movies can be dangerous, but real life is also dangerous and you should be careful, blah blah, something Mr. Bill would say. Then Mr. Hands says he needs to blow dry Mr. Bill's hair when the crew need him on the set. Unfortunately for Bill, the heat of the blow-dryer causes his face to melt away with his usual "Ohhhh nooooo!!!!!!"

But unfortunately for me, since I didn't know who Mr. Bill was at the time, I remember my 7-year-old self being sooo traumatized probably for the rest of the night when I saw that commercial (and I think I remember just taking the tape out afterwards, and just flat out refused to watch that particular tape for a long, long time; though sadly, I later on discovered the same commercial was on another Mst3k tape my dad made). Wasn't until later I saw a commercial, I think on Visa cards, that ended up with him drowning in a pool. I immediately recognized the voice and appearance as the same character in the commercial I described and pretty much learned he was a butt monkey character (which made sense).

But, yeah. It's amazing how a childhood fear can lead to something you'll enjoy as you get older and learn more.

Also, here's the commercial if anyone is curious to watch it (captured from yours truly :smile: ):

(Unfortunately, MC ain't letting me embed it. :rolleyes: )
Wow. I watched the Mr. Bill commercial and the the clip of Dr. Katz promos on your channel. I didn't know there were commercials with the Mr. Bill character. Early Saturday Night Live was before my time but my mom has some recordings of it (though I think those may be from the 80s cause I'm pretty sure I saw the Church Lady. Dana Carvey's skits have always been my favorite anyway.)

With that being said it was interesting seeing what Comedy Central looked like before South Park premiered in 1997. I was 5 when it came out so didn't start watching until 7th or 8th grade (or maybe 5th or 6th.) I do know that season 8 was the first one I watched when it was new. Hardly any of my tapes have commercials (except for two promos I happened to find, so I guess I'll never know.)

I should probably point out that I'm 27 so I probably shouldn't be feeling old yet. Seeing that Season 2 clip of Drake and Josh posted on page 26 certainly did it though. I don't know if anyone has heard but there's been talk this year (I think it was announced in March) of them planning to do a reboot. Nothing really concrete has been announced about the where and when just that it's in the works. I also remember when they were on the Amanda Show. Another thing that makes me feel old is Dexter's Laboratory and Powerpuff Girls are 23 and 21 years old. I watched those when I was 7 and 8 years old, respectively when I first began watching them regularly in the early 2000s.

I don't know if anyone has heard of Bananas in Pajamas? I used to have it on VHS as a kid, turns out it's also 27.

Last edited:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Not that this is sad or anything, but learning that my niece is getting married suddenly makes me feel like an old codger - and she's only about ten years younger than me.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I think the sad sign of getting old is during the final week of the decade, like back in 2009, and possibly this year. You realize a new decade is approaching, and you start to feel old.

Fortunately, I don't show any signs of getting older, even though I look young despite being older. But thankfully, I am not at retirement age yet.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I think the sad sign of getting old is during the final week of the decade, like back in 2009, and possibly this year. You realize a new decade is approaching, and you start to feel old.

Fortunately, I don't show any signs of getting older, even though I look young despite being older. But thankfully, I am not at retirement age yet.
Actually, I look ahead with a badge of honor of how many decades I've been able to usher in.
1969-70 doesn't count, I was still a baby. But since then, 2019-20 will be my sixth. And at 51, I'm OLDER than just about everybody else here, but I do not feel OLD. Big difference here.
Dick Clark and I saw a lot of decades change. Now it's Ryan Seacrest's job. Hope he can keep up with me, the young punk.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Okay, fair enough. I don't run into too many people even close to my age.

But here's encouraging news to all you young folk. You can't help getting older, but you don't have to get old.