The Saddest thing that reminds you that you're old...

Beakerfan

Reaction score
I loved Beakman's World.

I dressed as Ms. Frizzle for storybook character day at work and NONE of the kids knew who I was... that made me feel terribly old.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Believe it or not, the last two shows on this list were actually E/I compliant! Sailor Moon conformed to the rules with its' "Sailor Says" segments, while the shows on "One Saturday Morning" taught life lessons through the experiences of kids in the target demographic, and also taught lessons through segments such as "Great Minds Think For Themselves" and "Schoolhouse Rock!", the latter of which my parents introduced to me to teach me multiplication facts because they watched it as kids. I ended up liking it as much as they did.
They were very loose with the regulations back then and syndicated channels tried to make sitcom reruns TV E/I. And not even stuff like Saved By The Bell, either. But someone put their foot down and the slippery slide to bad nature shows from the 90's and career oriented garbage at 5 AM commenced. It really seems when it was first was announced, major channels were invigorated and jumping for innovative programming. Then someone realized this cost money. The running gag on Histeria! was that the show cost a fortune to produce (it did) and the ratings weren't justifiable for the cash they were spending (the "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing" Coke commercial parody is blatant). Then it was cancelled for that exact reason. Meanwhile, CBS said "HEY! Let's just rerun Nick Jr. stuff" and the rest was history.

I don't remember the BBs being a limited time product. Were they? Seems like they were around for a long time in the 90s and into the 2000s, then they just disappeared and were never heard from again. :smirk:
Some lines last much longer than others. Even if it's a popular product, the second sales slip, it's gone. That's why Nutrageous keeps disappearing and reappearing to disappear again. BB's did last a long while, but quietly disappeared. Product turn around was much longer then. Now, if something comes out, it's like 2 years tops.

snichols1973

Reaction score
BEAKMAN'S WORLD, oh brother. Like a cheesier, campier, and trippier version of BILL NYE THE SCIENE GUY, only with sidekicks such as a big hairy tattooed man in a poorly-made rat costume, and a hot lab girl in a lab coat and short shorts whom I just recently realized was one of Kevin's sisters (or maybe one of his cousins) from HOME ALONE.
I must not have ever recalled seeing the season 4 episodes with Phoebe (played by Senta Moses, who was also in Home Alone and HA2 as Tracy McAllister); I do, however, recall the earlier years featuring Alanna Ubach as Josie (season 1), as well as Liza (Eliza Schneider from Seasons 2-3).

In addition, Paul Zaloom made a special guest appearance on Sesame Street ep. 4325 in a "People in Your Neighborhood" segment about puppets and puppeteering....:wink:

cjd874

Reaction score
Anyone remember the Jimmy Neutron show on Nickelodeon? It was one of my favorite shows growing up, and I have vivid memories of watching it on TV with my brother. Earlier this week I learned that one of my close friends liked that show as well (thus giving us something else to bond over).

So last night, I looked up information about the Jimmy Neutron show and found out, to my shock, that the last episode for that series was broadcast EIGHT YEARS AGO. I repeat, EIGHT FREAKING YEARS AGO. That finally made me realize how much time has passed.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Anyone remember the Jimmy Neutron show on Nickelodeon? It was one of my favorite shows growing up, and I have vivid memories of watching it on TV with my brother. Earlier this week I learned that one of my close friends liked that show as well (thus giving us something else to bond over).

So last night, I looked up information about the Jimmy Neutron show and found out, to my shock, that the last episode for that series was broadcast EIGHT YEARS AGO. I repeat, EIGHT FREAKING YEARS AGO. That finally made me realize how much time has passed.
I feel old discovering that Jimmy Neutron is now somehow considered old, lol. :wink:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Eight years might be an eternity to some, but just a drop in the bucket to me.
I got t-shirts older than that!:smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I feel old discovering that Jimmy Neutron is now somehow considered old, lol. :wink:
Yeah. Kids that complain about how their show has been gone for less than a decade? That makes anyone feel friggin old. Inspector Gadget is freaking 32 years old, and Darkwing Duck ended over 20 years ago. Jimmy Neutron is nothing, but even the reveal that's been gone a while is kinda depressing.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Jimmy Neutron is nothing, but even the reveal that's been gone a while is kinda depressing.
Well depressing in that passage of time sense. I can't say I was sorry to see it go, lol. Sorry to anyone who likes it but Jimmy and his friends really annoyed me. :stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's not a show I readily liked, actually. I got into it after a while, but that's not important.

What's really depressing isn't realizing something's been recent and then gone within a short period of time, but rather when you stop to think about the exact amount of time that passed since. Like, when watching Modern Family and seeing the baby that had to get recast now like an 8 year old, and you're like "How the heck long has this been on?" The adults look exactly the same, but kids grow up fast. You can say that about any sitcom or TV show featuring kids, actually. It seems like the kids jump years of their lives in a season (and sometimes it's because of shooting vs airing schedules), but then you realize that a year of a kid's life is full of growing, and adults pretty much look the same and take longer to change. The end result is jarring.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Oh definitely, kids do grow up fast. It's like you literally watch them turn into "real" people before your eyes, lol.