The Saddest thing that reminds you that you're old...

mr3urious

Reaction score
Oh, and Now That's What I Call Music released their 50th installment. I remember when they only had like seventeen of those.
In the UK where it originated, it began in 1983, and is currently in its 87th installment! :eek:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I honestly don't know what thread to post this in, but here's something I remember watching in Grade 1 or so...

To a bunch of little kids with no real developed sense of humor, this was the funniest thing we had ever seen.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
A couple things that make me feel old are...

Working with the teenagers I do
Remembering how back in the day there were ONLY 150 Pokemon and that seemed like a lot. Now there hitting close to 1000,:concern:.
Wrestlers who I worship as a kid of like five now being called legends like Hulk Hogan or Macho Man Randy Savage.
And as DrTooth pointed out, EVERYTHING from my childhood of being a "90s kid" being 90s nostalgia.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The other day at a Meetup group, I heard two people talking about the latest 21 Jump Street flick. They were quick surprised when I informed them there used to be a TV show, and starring Johnny Depp! I showed them a picture and they said, "Wow, he looks so normal." Lol

Plus, I'm constantly running into people online who seem to think Robert Downey Jr.'s first film was Iron Man. :wink:

mimitchi33

Reaction score
Here's my list of things that make me feel old:
  • Zainy Brainy, KB Toys and Blockbuster going out of business. I visited Zainy Brainy on one outlet trip in Riverhead (before they built an outlet center near me 6 years later) and thought it was a cool store, KB was a favorite stop for me when visiting the mall, and I used to rent a lot of great things from Blockbuster like VeggieTales and Disney movies.
  • I remember Fox Family from when I wasn't even a year old due to my brother watching the Captian Kangaroo block and Pokemon that same year. It just isn't the same anymore...
  • I remember when Nickelodeon aired Tiny Toons, Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain.
  • Cereal straws, Go-Tarts and Pokemon puzzle gum. Does anyone remember any of these? They were so good...the commercial for the latter is on YouTube.
  • I remember when qubo used to air VeggieTales along with many other kids who grew up in the 2000's, but only ONE person in this world knows about Kewlopolis.
  • Kidtoon Films. Screened G-rated films on Saturdays. I mostly saw the My Little Pony ones, which leads into the next point.
  • I was into My Little Pony before Friendship is Magic, and didn't expect G4 to be popular.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The other day at a Meetup group, I heard two people talking about the latest 21 Jump Street flick. They were quick surprised when I informed them there used to be a TV show, and starring Johnny Depp! I showed them a picture and they said, "Wow, he looks so normal." Lol
Which ruins a gag at the end of the second film with ignorance to the original series. only saw the second, so I'm not sure if they reference the old show in any way in that one. But that's adaption displacement for you. Turtles and Smurfs will always be cartoons only, the land of Oz is only in Dorothy's head, and Superman always was able to fly and changed in phone booths. Yep... that last one... he was displaced by a parody.

Plus, I'm constantly running into people online who seem to think Robert Downey Jr.'s first film was Iron Man. :wink:
Considering it was the film that resurrected his career after multiple bad choices he made, I'm not surprised.

• I remember when qubo used to air VeggieTales along with many other kids who grew up in the 2000's, but only ONE person in this world knows about Kewlopolis.
Yeah, that CBS/DIC thing that only aired girl's cartoons that weren't that good? I can beat you there. I remember when CBS had good programming selections on Saturday Mornings. Back before that crappy TV/EI FCC requirement killed the line up.

Yeah, I don't wanna be that "cartoons were better back in X" guy, since I highly detest that insipid, generational myopic viewpoint... But anything is better than the garbage they put on Saturday Mornings now. Yeah, because kids love nature shows and cooking shows.

Anyway, I remember when NBC gave up and bombed their final line up with terrible cartoons and ruined Captain N. I remember when Fox Kids started broadcasting, showing signs of promise, well before they turned into the Power Rangers/Digimon network that lead to Saban owning the line up and Disney owning it leading to 4Kids. And above all, I remember the pre-Disney Buy-out ABC Saturday line up. Yep, well before One Saturday Morning, and well well before they gave up and started playing the same 8 Emperor's New Groove and Replacement episodes on an infinite loop.

Remembering that there was a Saturday Morning makes me really feel old.

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
Which ruins a gag at the end of the second film with ignorance to the original series. only saw the second, so I'm not sure if they reference the old show in any way in that one.
Johnny Depp was in it, and they made a little reference to how he used to be in the program back in the 80s.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Yeah, that CBS/DIC thing that only aired girl's cartoons that weren't that good? I can beat you there. I remember when CBS had good programming selections on Saturday Mornings. Back before that crappy TV/EI FCC requirement killed the line up.
At least those girly cartoons were something that kids might want to watch, unlike the lipservice crap on now.

Drtooth

Reaction score
At least those girly cartoons were something that kids might want to watch, unlike the lipservice crap on now.
Oh, sure... those shows were better. But virtually anything is, and saying those shows were better is like saying it's better to get hit in the stomach with a baseball than to get hit in the face with a bowling ball. I mean, Horseland? It's like if My Little Pony (any version, actually) had a botched lobotomy. Such a far cry from Garfield and Friends and Mighty Mouse: The New Adventures.

What I remember distinctly, and this was a retroactive "we shoulda seen this coming" moment... when CBS had Nick Jr shows. That ticked me the heck off. Only thing that was worth while was that whole barely a year when they had Nickelodeon cartoons on, and even then, only really for Hey Arnold. Then they turned it back to Nick Jr... a sign of things to come, really.

But what I truly miss was those Saturday morning preview shows on Friday Nights. Say what you will about 4Kids, but they were the last ones to bother with it, and Fight for the Fox Box was actually pretty good.