The Powerpuff Girls voice artists

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The funny thing is, if you check out something called TMNT Chojin Legend They actually do a bit of both. And somehow, I think it satires anime a lot better, albeit more subtle (right down to mocking DBZ's Super Sayans and Fusion modes... at least, I think they're trying to make fun of it). They even have the same basic character designs... only April looks slightly different... and Shredder is completely redrawn in both parts.... sometimes you can find the whole thing subtitled on Youtube. It ain't half that bad, actually. Stupid, but not all that bad.

Of course, for a more biting satire of anime, I suggest checking out Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo. A story that takes mindless detours into a Family Guy/ Space Ghost Coast to Coast spiral of non-sequitor madness. This Clip does a shocking job of satirizing Magic Girl theme songs, and then turning it into a bit of devine weirdness, as singing somehow controls the story line.

But either PPGZ's humor is too inside Japanese, or too subtle, since I have yet to see anything really satirical, instead of clearly embodying it...

Though, I wonder what would have happened if they made a PPG anime more like Tensai Bakabon, a series that seems to be a almost a Japanese precursor to the Simpsons, with a funky, goofy style you just don't see in mainstream stuff the US gets.
Anime is always a hard sell to me, but there are some distinct projects. It is, of course, an artform with its own layers of depth, but none of that seems to come across in that PGZ pitch on Wiki. I felt a big portion of the show was in its drawing style and character origins. All of that appears to have been completely changed so I don't know what is so Powerpuff about it except for the name. It doesn't seem as if they added anything interesting in the place of what made the show popular in the first place. I wouldn't say it's particularly the Anime that bothers me rather than the extent of the alterations.

Now TMNT has a lot of room for artist interpretation while still retaining the original feel. However the human noses on the turtles doesn't seem to fit with the rest of it. That clip does strangely draw me in. Thanks for sharing that. :super:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Now TMNT has a lot of room for artist interpretation while still retaining the original feel. However the human noses on the turtles doesn't seem to fit with the rest of it. That clip does strangely draw me in. Thanks for sharing that. :super:
My guess is that you're referring to the "Saint Turtles" that look like Wolverine... Yeah, it gets pretty wacky... but not much wackier than an alien from Polaris that had a camera that took pictures of tourist sites, and the tourists with it.

The difference between PPGZ and TMNT CL (other than the fact they kept the original design) is that TMNT is actually a 2 episode DTV that was made basically to sell toys. And if anyone knows anything about the history of TMNT is that after the comic book they were made into toys first, and then the cartoon came out as sort of a commercial (similar to G.I. Joe and Transformers)... so it pretty much keeps that in tact as well. They do have toys of the "Saint Turtles" and the ones wearing Saint Seyia armor (and they even released them in the US). I think at the end of the DTV, they even have ads for them.

Though, it would have been funny had they gotten Toei animation to do the TMNT DTV, since Toei actually animated the first 5 (and a few subsequent) episodes of TMNT.

Of course, PPGZ and TMNT have NOTHING on what Japan did with Spider-Man.

Xerus

Reaction score
I saw some clips of Powerpuff Girls Z on youtube. It looks like they designed the villains like the ones in the US version. Especially the Japanese version of Fuzzy Lumpkins.

Xerus

Reaction score
Plus, I mean, nothing beats the humor of the original series... one of my favorite endings comes from the episode "Him Diddle Riddle" where Him makes the girls solve all these random puzzles before Noon or he'll make the Professor pay. Of course, by pay, it means he has to pay for breakfast... Him wagered the Professor that the girls wouldn't be able to solve them all. The Professor grumbles off and pays while the girls, having gone through that whole ordeal, stand there slack jawed. As did the narrator, who delivers his ending line, "And so the...um...yeahh..."
I too had mixed thoughts about that Him Diddle Riddle episode. The Prof. wasn't in any real danger at all, just had to pay for expensive flapjacks.

My favorite episode was the Beat-Alls episode. Where Mojo Jojo, Him, Princess, and Fuzzy Lumpkins joined together to start a villain group and they did a parody of the lives of the Beatles where they shouted catchphrases based on Beatles songs. And Mojo ended up falling in love with a girl monkey who ended up breaking up the villain group.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I saw some clips of Powerpuff Girls Z on youtube. It looks like they designed the villains like the ones in the US version. Especially the Japanese version of Fuzzy Lumpkins.
Found a picture of a bunch of PPGZ villains when looking for my avatar...at least I think thats what this is

here it is if anyone is interested (Fuzzy included :smirk:)

http://forevergeek.com/images/PPGZBad.jpg

Hmmm...I kinda like Ace's design :big_grin:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have the set, and ot's going to take me a while to go through. But so far, I'm loving it. The only gripe I have is about the packaging. It's a bit clunky... it's 6 standard DVD cases with one disk in each one (they're double sided disks- by the way) in a slightly flimsy box. And it says it comes with a poster... it does, but the poster has been cut into 6 parts, and it's on the back side of the episode list for each DVD.

Other than that, the features are pretty thorough... it has some of the earliest promos, both the Whoop*** Stew and World Premier cartoon pilots (Whoop** Stew is surprisingly UNCENSORED), the Space Ghost Coast to Coast World Premier Toon contest that PPG debuted on... and just, so so much more. Plus, 2 episodes with character commentary. Even one of the Staylongers segments. Some stuff appears missing, I don't think the DEVO music video is on there while some others are... but other than that, it's amazing, and well worth the low, low price of 55 bucks.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Only 55 bucks? Man, I'm so going to buy that when I go to best buy in...March...:smirk:

I was worried it would have been like...100. Although I already know I'm not going to like the double sided disks. 1, I smuge them too easily 2, I can never figure out which side is which

Xerus

Reaction score
I remember watching the very first PPG episode on that Space Ghost special called, "Meet Fuzzy Lumpkins." I also noticed that this first episode had a completely different mayor.

Xerus

Reaction score
Found a picture of a bunch of PPGZ villains when looking for my avatar...at least I think thats what this is

here it is if anyone is interested (Fuzzy included :smirk:)

http://forevergeek.com/images/PPGZBad.jpg

Hmmm...I kinda like Ace's design :big_grin:
Thanks for sharing. That was neat. It looks like they dressed Him up like a jester. And I wonder if those 3 boys in the back were the Rowdy Ruff Boys?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I find it creepy Little Arturo is now a girl. And I'm still trying to figure out who that is suppsoed to be next to Fuzzy. My brain is screaming Snake...since every other Gang Green member is shown