The Passion of the Christ

McFraggle

Reaction score
Drum Eater said:
I still haven't seen this film, but I just bought the soundtrack. I can tell it must be a very powerful film. The music alone had me on the edge of tears. The music is amazing, truly amazing. John Debney did an awesome job!
Yes he did. I like the score of the film quite a bit.

Drum Eater

Reaction score
Some film composers need to get out of the box and write more powerful music like this. There's nothing quite like a choir, orchestra, and amazing percussion all going full blast! The last track, "Resurrection", is just that! Absolutely amazing, beautiful, powerful, and moving! :smile:

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
I read in an article that Debney said he was being bothered and harrassed by Satan while writing the score.

Whether or not you believe in Satan, the fact that John Debney, a composer whos neither famous nor well-known, composed what is possibly one of the greatest scores in cinematic history is cause for major speculation.

Drum Eater

Reaction score
That's interesting. Do you have a link to that article? I'd like to read it. It is a very powerful score.

Drum Eater

Reaction score
Wow, that's pretty amazing. John Debney was not well-known, especially for this genre, before this film. What a transition! Do you think it has a chance at best score, or would the academy immediately shun the thought?

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
I'm already mad at the oscars for constantly snubbing Jim Carrey in dramatic roles (say what you will, but Carrey is an awesome awesome dramatic actor).

If Passion of the Christ doesn't win at least a few big awards, I -- as I am sure many many many others -- will be very very suprised.

Drum Eater

Reaction score
Yes, I would be surprised. Sometimes they snub films that should win, though. Half of it is the politics.

"POLITICS! POLITICS!"
-Animal

But I guess I shouldn't be worried about the Oscars. I don't need the Oscars to decide which film I like best or which score I appreciate the most! :rolleyes:

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
I love Hollywood, am a Hollywood afficianado, and to me, although snubbing Jim Carrey bothers me, the oscars are, above all else, about tradition. Not about what the best film is, but tradition. Winning an oscar places one with the likes of walt disney, tom hanks, michael douglas, kirk douglas, jack lemon, sydney pottier, nicole kidman, tom cruise, etc.

That's quite an honor.

Drum Eater

Reaction score
Just a question for those of you who have seen this movie:
Did you like the way Mel Gibson did the film? Do you think the graphic violence was too much at any point (don't describe in detail, please)? If you were a movie critic, what would you say about this film and who would you advise to see it or not see it?