The Old Cartoon Network Thread

Xerus

Reaction score
I recently found a CN graphic novel series called Super Secret Crisis War, which brings CN old and new stars together. Villains like Aku, Mandark, Mojojojo and Vilgax transport Samurai Jack, Dexter, Ben 10, the Powerpuff Girls, and even Ed, Edd, and Eddy to a dark dimension to do away with them. And it also features side stories where they try to go after Johnny Bravo, the Billy and Mandy crew, The Foster's Home friends, and a lot of others.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I suggest you skip that one and go to the second big crossover series (Super Smash Up or something like that) where they actually write to the character. I really don't want to be the "this was a disappointment" guy since I'd usually call the "this was a huge disappointment" guy an ungreatful wet blanket. I enjoyed it, but the side stories (the one shots) were far better written and more fully understood by their writers. I'll admit the PPG, Dexter, Jack, and Ben 10 (I've only seen a hand full of episodes...I like it, but I haven't gotten deep into it) seem written well enough, but the Eds? It's like the writers have never seen more than 10 minutes of this and were told to add them in at the last minute. Edd saying "dudes" a couple times, Eddy not conniving or even remotely like his cartoon persona, and Ed just not not being Ed at all other than a fleeting reference to buttered toast. I mean, I can appreciate what they tried to do, but even if they left the Ed boys out, it would have been a little less cluttered and coherent. That's not to say I didn't like it. i did, but it could have been so much better.

I've only got a couple issues of IDW's Powerpuff Girls miniseries and half their Dexter, but those were much better and stronger in their writing. The second crossover series was also far superior and handled the characters much better. I wish that one lasted longer than it did. I suggest tracking that one down, it's a good read.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Wait, they're doing crossover comics now?

I had that idea when I was a kid, I even did a rough draft of a comic in my old school sketch book: the Eds are fleeing Kevin's brutality, and somehow run all the way to Nowhere and encounter Courage, just as Ed is reading in the same comic they're in. Double D finds it odd and flips to a later page where he sees the Cartoon Cartoon gang have fallen into a trap that's predicted in the comic, but he dismisses it as a "silly little comic." Eventually, they make it to Cow and Chicken's neighborhood where Chicken and Eddy hassle each other for chump change, and Baboon starts sniffing Double D's socks (much to Weasel's chagrin). More walking later and they come to the Big City, where they find Sheep, and the Angry Scientist has somehow opened up a portal that sends them all to an auditorium, where a scared Ed exclaims, "It's a trap!" Double D finally sees the comic really is real, and that their fate really is determined by a comic book. As it turns out, the whole thing was an elaborate April Fools prank by Johnny, only for the others to point out that the calendar says it's the middle of July, and they are not amused.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Correction. They've done crossover comics. I think I brought them up here when they were first announced a couple years back. Then there was a second series (which was better) that lasted a shorter run with no side one shot issues. I thought IDW's license for CN expired and they just announced plans for new PPG comics based on the new series.

But yeah, I wouldn't doubt they'd want to do a crossover to get the most out of the license. PPG, Dexter, Ben 10, and Samurai Jack all had short run or miniseries comics a year prior. Dexter only had a four issue story arc. Never got the last 2 issues, though. I think I only have a couple of the PPG issues as well and didn't bother getting any more because of other titles I was following at the time.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
So it's not just me.

No it's not just you, people have been complaining about CN supposedly not being good anymore since at least 2004. While I agree most of the shows from about 2004 through 2010 were not as good as the ones from the 90s and very early 2000s, I think the channel has gotten much better. It is extremely rare to find someone who dislikes Adventure Time, Regular Show gets a rather mixed from old school CN fans, but for the most part it's well liked. Whether you like The Amazing World of Gumball you have to admit it's definitely really creative. Teen Titans Go isn't very good, Uncle Grandpa is okay but not great. Clarence apparently gets on some people's nerves but I think it really understands what it is like to be a kid, it actually almost reminds me of a modern day ED EDD N' EDDY. Steven Universe is wonderful at creating and developing characters and story arcs.

Either way, most people agree that a lot of cartoons on both Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network after about 2004 weren't very good but since Adventure Time it's gotten much better on both channels.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Although, I sort of feel like a lot of older fans' hate towards the newer shows may have a lot to do with nostalgia. Many of them hate on the shows without ever even watching them or only watching one or two episodes.