The "Nostalgia Over Things You Didn't Even Live Through" Thread

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I was born at the tail end of that era, when soda fountains, luncheonettes, and Automats were becoming fading relics.

But there is still a place in Manhattan on 23rd Street called Eisenberg’s. Half is a soda fountain (30 people can sit at the counter) the other half is a deli.
It looks so much like Hooper’s, it’s wonderful. Still in business since 1929.
You can’t get 5 cent cigars anymore, but it’s a little slice of history.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Truth be told, I kind of wish I was alive during a time to be able to experience such drug stores that had soda fountains and candy counters and the like. It wasn't uncommon on THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW to see Andy and/or Barney step into Walker's Drug Store, head over to a counter on the back of the store, and help themselves to a bottle of pop they pour into one of those old-timey fountain glasses - Barney usually sipped his through two straws.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I have a few of those glasses. Perfect for milkshakes. Two straws.
Even better, a diner in our town used to fill them up with jello or chocolate pudding. Put a mountain of whipped cream on top. As a little kid I was in heaven.

crackmaster

Reaction score
Toonami's Trapped in Hyperspace, which came out the week before I was born. I wish I was 17 in 2002 so I could experience Swayzak and him infecting TOM in the online game (where he also had a Kiwi accent...)

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
This song is sort of starting to qualify for me, but for weird reasons:

I did live through this song, but don't have any memory hearing it as a kid. I later found out it was in Looney Tunes: Back in Action when they arrive in Vegas, so that's where the seed may've been planted (even though I didn't really remember that).

I love this song. It's a banger, but also has a little underlying melancholia, and believe it's one of those songs that could give someone nostalgia even if they weren't there for it. I'm beginning to realize the early-2000s were as great as the '90s regarding nostalgia, but the fact this song wasn't on the US Hot 100 (for whatever reason) kinda shows popular music was starting to go downhill by that point.