The Nostalgia Critic Thread Lives Again!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm probably more proud than I should be over the fact that my comment on the YouTube upload of the CATS DON'T DANCE review is currently the second top comment (was first for a while, but it's been bumped down now). Interesting to see that while some people feel the same way about the sketches and such, some actually feel like NC actually improved as a result of the sketches and other castmembers and such. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ehh, never mind, that didn't last long, lol. Fun while it lasted though: got nearly 1,000 thumbs up, I don't think I've ever gotten that many likes on a comment before . . . I think 700 was my biggest accomplishment, but that was back in the days when "top comments" really were top rated comments . . . and people were bashing me for having the most-liked comment on a video anyway, lol.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I was recently listening to Doug's mini-review of TOY STORY 3, and it strikes me as intriguing that he disliked it mainly for the ending with Andy giving his toys away to Bonnie, on the grounds that he felt Andy's behavior in the way he was describing all of his toys with elaborate backstories and spontaneously breaking into play with her to be awkward and age-inappropriate for Andy.

I never saw it that way. The way I always saw it was that Andy could see that Bonnie was a rather shy and withdrawn little girl, and he was simply trying to communicate with her in a way that would make her feel a little more comfortable about accepting these special toys that he was giving her. As for the playtime? Well, likewise, I saw that as Andy just trying to make her feel more comfortable and less shy about the whole thing . . . that, and yes, I'm sure he wanted to play with them one last time, but I don't see how that's awkward or age-inappropriate.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I was recently listening to Doug's mini-review of TOY STORY 3, and it strikes me as intriguing that he disliked it mainly for the ending with Andy giving his toys away to Bonnie, on the grounds that he felt Andy's behavior in the way he was describing all of his toys with elaborate backstories and spontaneously breaking into play with her to be awkward and age-inappropriate for Andy.

I never saw it that way. The way I always saw it was that Andy could see that Bonnie was a rather shy and withdrawn little girl, and he was simply trying to communicate with her in a way that would make her feel a little more comfortable about accepting these special toys that he was giving her. As for the playtime? Well, likewise, I saw that as Andy just trying to make her feel more comfortable and less shy about the whole thing . . . that, and yes, I'm sure he wanted to play with them one last time, but I don't see how that's awkward or age-inappropriate.
That's exactly what I thought, too. :smile:

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score

Exactly. It would not have been a satisfying ending if he just left the toys at her house and just went off to college. The toys would've just felt abandoned again, and the audience wouldn't even know if Bonnie was ever going to play with them.

Sylinde Bren

Reaction score
I'm such a big fan of The Nostalgia Critic! My favourite of his reviews, I think, would be... THIS ONE:

It's sort of cheating, but I take it as them being a series but still counting as one. ^-^

His running gag about commercials from Canada and "F'in' Bubbles!" are pure comedy gold.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the most recent episode yet? It was one of his best in a long time, and probably the first time in a while that I laughed out loud throughout the whole thing. It's definitely a return to form, and I hope this trend continues. And best of all, there aren't any annoying sketches interupting the review. Well, there is one, but it was surprisingly actually pretty funny.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Yet another really good episode, and once again, no sketches! Have Doug and Rob been listening to the fans? :excited: