The new What Made You Smile Today thread

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Got invited to my friend's house for dinner. We did the cooking for his folks. He made the steaks, I made potatoes, salad, and corn on the cob.
Everything came out perfect. He got this special beef tenderloin from Australia.
Best steak I ever had. 8)

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I have a tentative moving date for July 1. As @D'Snowth knows, there are few things in life as stressful as moving. Packing up, putting stuff in storage (or getting it out), changing your address, saying goodbye to friends and neighbors, can all do a number on you. But after three years of shuffling around, we'll finally have a place to call home.
Rent and utilities $1,200 a month. In New Jersey, just for an apartment that's unheard of. We're getting a whole HOUSE!It helps when you know the landlord and he used to be a pastor at our hurch. As you guys get older, you'll find out how valuable connections are.
The only downside is no pets, but that's all small price to pay. Just my wife and me. No pets, no kids, no nothing. And in a year, we might qualify for an option to own.
So two more weeks of frenzy, but when it's all done, we'll have something we never had before. Our own house. God is good.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Hoping the best for you!
Thank you sir. I'm not leaving here, but this move is the answer to our prayers. We can afford it, nice neighborhood, it's in excellent shape for a 100 year old house. Our landlord owned the house for almost 50 years and took excellent care of it. In the past ten years, he put in new windows, new roof, new appliances, new carpet, new bathroom, etc. The house is all on one floor so no stairs. Perfect for me.
It's exciting and stressful at the same time. But something all of you may experience sometime when you move out. I moved out of my parents' house when I was 19. I lived in some fleabag places over the years, but it's a tremendous sense of freedom to have your own crib. I hope you all get there someday.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's so stressful that after doing it for so many times growing up, it's actually given me something of a complex . . . obviously I have cardboards of stuff in my closet for storage and such, but like if I have them out of the closet or in my room for an extended period of time it, it makes me feel emotionally insecure. I also still occasionally have moving nightmares at night, and that's something I doubt will ever go away.

At the same time though, our landlord has locked us into a lifetime lease, and although he is going up on rent (by nearly $100), he's putting a cap on it. This works out very well, especially considering I'm more-or-less caring for both of my parents now (Dad just had surgery to unblock one of his carotid arteries since a lifetime of smoking has finally caught up to him). However, both of my parents have expressed that they do feel just the tiniest little bit of remorse that I'm caring for them, and that I'm not out on my own with my own place in another part of town living my own life, but I mean they're my parents, I love them, so it's not like this is completely a burden on me.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
It's an honorable thing to take care of your parents. There is no shame or guilt in that.There are still a few people I know, who never moved out, never got married still living with their parents, mommy still cooks and does their laundry, and they never grew up. That's sad. We all have to grow up sometime. It's part of evolving. Even if you get an apartment with six others, you're taking a big step towards adulthood.
There is no magic number of when you move out, but I would think by 30 you should be ready. Unless like Snowthy your parents depend on you, but by 30 you shouldn't be so dependent on them.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
When Bobby Flay was young, he got an Easy -Bake oven for Christmas. He got so much grief and being called a sissy, becausecooking and baking is women's work.
Now he's one of the most famous chefs.
I love cooking, and I'm happy to break the preconceived notionthat men don't belong in the kitchen.
Stuff is always evolving like that: in the '70s rock and roll was the devil and a "waste of time", but now parents would be begging their kids to learn a musical instrument instead of playing video games all day. In 20 years or so, video games will be seen as an admirable thing that actually requires effort compared to whatever technological advancements take place then.

It probably won't be in our lifetime, but one day people won't have to work and they'll just lay in bed with VR headsets strapped to their head... I know that's a long way from the Easy-Bake oven, but you know.

It's exciting and stressful at the same time. But something all of you may experience sometime when you move out. I moved out of my parents' house when I was 19. I lived in some fleabag places over the years, but it's a tremendous sense of freedom to have your own crib. I hope you all get there someday.
How did you survive? Did you have a dependable job and some money saved up?

I know a **** ton of people up and leave the crib at 18 (especially back in the day), but that's always kind of been beyond me.

Also most people who are 30 don't have parents who are old enough to be their grandparents. . . .
I know that feel bro... I'm 25 and have a grandpa who's 97.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Stuff is always evolving like that: in the '70s rock and roll was the devil and a "waste of time", but now parents would be begging their kids to learn a musical instrument instead of playing video games all day. In 20 years or so, video games will be seen as an admirable thing that actually requires effort compared to whatever technological advancements take place then.

It probably won't be in our lifetime, but one day people won't have to work and they'll just lay in bed with VR headsets strapped to their head... I know that's a long way from the Easy-Bake oven, but you know.

How did you survive? Did you have a dependable job and some money saved up?

I know a **** ton of people up and leave the crib at 18 (especially back in the day), but that's always kind of been beyond me.

I know that feel bro... I'm 25 and have a grandpa who's 97.
How did I survive? When I wasn't hitting the books, I was working two jobs. I worked at Penney's and waited tables. One benefit of working in a restaurant, you'll never starve.
I was hardly ever home, so I never watched tv.
When I was home, I lived on oatmeal, Ramen noodles, and peanut butter.
But at work, I got to have steak, all the pasta you can eat, pig out on ice cream, even got the occasional lobster.
I got to eat well living on a shoestring budget, but I made it.
My college years are a bit of a blur, but I managed to graduate in four years, with honors, and debt free.

Any Del

Reaction score
How did I survive? When I wasn't hitting the books, I was working two jobs. I worked at Penney's and waited tables. One benefit of working in a restaurant, you'll never starve.
I was hardly ever home, so I never watched tv.
When I was home, I lived on oatmeal, Ramen noodles, and peanut butter.
But at work, I got to have steak, all the pasta you can eat, pig out on ice cream, even got the occasional lobster.
I got to eat well living on a shoestring budget, but I made it.
My college years are a bit of a blur, but I managed to graduate in four years, with honors, and debt free.
Oh ramen... Fuzzygobo, you are one of the greatest role models in all of Muppet Central Forum. :smile: