The new What Made You Smile Today thread

Schfifty

Reaction score
I had to hang out with a co-worker's son this afternoon, and we did quite a few fun things; we drew chalk on the sidewalk outside, played pretend soccer, dug out an old educational laptop toy I had when I was a young kid, and I even entertained him with one of my puppets. It was just a great time overall.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Beatle freak that I am, I love Sirius's new Beatle channel.
In other Beatle news, it was 50 years ago today their Sgt. (Floyd?) Pepper album was released, which is still regarded as one of the most important albums ever.

The release of this album was a worldwide event. The Beatles were already huge at that point. But their last album was "Revolver", released almost a year before. Sixties groups did not wait a whole year between albums. Rumors were the Beatles broke up.

After a number of close calls, the Beatles quit touring. Sixties groups do not do that. They must be breaking up.

The Beatles spent five months working on this album. Sixties groups were expected to crank out an album in a day or so, usually for about a thousand dollars. The Beatles spent about $100,000, plus another $25,000 just on the front cover. Groups didn't do that.

In one fell swoop, the Beatles rewrote the rules.

To give you an idea how big the release of this album was, imagine Jim Henson, Jerry Nelson, Richard Hunt, and Jerry Juhl coming back to this earthly plane to make one more Muppet movie. That's how big a deal it would be.

Some of the songs on the album were not that good, but a few "With a Little Help From My Friends", "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds (LSD, get it?)" "Fixing A Hole", and the closing track "A Day in the Life" are masterpieces.

If you never heard this album, you're missing out. It's only about 40 minutes, but if you're not a big Beatle fan, you're bound to find at least one song that will make you smile.

"We're Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, we hope you will enjoy the show".
Chances are good you will. 8)
Yes, listened to the whole album on the radio last night. For me it only gets better the more I listen to it. Man, i'm telling you, that orchestra in A Day in the Life, :flirt:.

Also, very interesting. I had no idea most bands back then usually released more than one album per year.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Yes, listened to the whole album on the radio last night. For me it only gets better the more I listen to it. Man, i'm telling you, that orchestra in A Day in the Life, :flirt:.

Also, very interesting. I had no idea most bands back then usually released more than one album per year.
You must have SiriusXM also.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
I've been texting my cousin lately to help me overcome my second breakup with my ex-boyfriend again. She's really helpful and gives me great advice, which is why I like her a whole lot.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
The whole weekend has been fairly good. Slept in, had Chinese takeout and homemade flapjacks (no, not pancakes, there IS a difference), weeded in our garden plot until I could feel every muscle in my body distinctly... okay, so soreness isn't wonderful, but seeing the progress in our garden is. Today we found a nice garden bench we could afford; we've ordered an insect house to attract pollinators; and right now my sweetie is cooking up some of our peppers and herbs with pasta & pesto. I feel like I accomplished a number of chores and have had quality goofing-off time.

And mudslides. Who can't smile with a couple of those in 'em?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Much of this week will be well below average: like anywhere from 10-15 degrees. Not complaining at all, not only is this a nice way to kick off summer, but it's been several years since we've had 70s in June.